Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking-up my new 718 GTS this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 09:56 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Picking-up my new 718 GTS this weekend!

Graphite Blue Metallic
PASM / PDK
Alcantara Delete - (Black Leather)
Build MSRP $96K - Negotiated $12K off MSRP.

This will be my second Porsche and will primarily be a track car. Very excited to have this car in the family - I love my Targa 4 and the 911 is the dream car but after driving the 718 S at a PECLA event I fell in love with mid-engine and how light / nimble the platform is. Plus $12K off MSRP for a new Porsche is pretty hard to beat. I'd love some 718 owner feedback on anything to watch-out for. Is there a break-in period (my dealer says no... but?). Any quirks on the platform? I'm keeping it stock minus track wheels and tires (I'm probably going to get 18" and as wide as fits unless anyone suggest otherwise) and over time do some other mods (my end-goal is to get the full MR suspension with a Cobb Tune). Very excited to pick this up- if I built it from scratch I may have had a few things different but it's pretty fun to get a Porsche that - performance wise - is top of the line.

Stay tuned I'll share pics one I get the car.
The following users liked this post:
SunnySF (09-13-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 11:05 PM
mslam02
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 69 Posts

Love graphite blue, congrats!
Old 09-13-2019, 12:46 AM
Guaji
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 149 Posts

Congratulations. I picked up a 2018 Cayman GTS in July. It’s my first “auto” transmission and the discount off MSRP was nice. It had 65 miles on it when I purschased it, so I am sure when it was out on test drives, it wasn’t been driven according to the break in process. I have generally been following the break in procedure, trying to keep it under 4000 rpm for 2000 miles. I have exceeded 4000 sometimes since the PDK has it’s own mind. I also may just follow the European break in of 2000 KM. Either way I’m confident the engine will be fine even if I did a 1000 mile break in. I had the dealer disconnect the fake soundaktor. It quiets down the cabin noise in Sport mode.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:24 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 590 Likes on 399 Posts

Very exciting! I'm a bit old school when it comes to engine break-in. All my cars all the time, I always allow the engine/oil to get fully warmed before romping on it. I do a first oil change around 300-500 miles and a second at 3k. There's usually a lot of shiny copper looking bits in the oil on the first oil change. In theory, the oil filter will catch anything which is why some cars have their first oil change at 10k miles. But no thanks... I also try to take a bunch of long drives and avoid short trips where the car never gets warm. Also avoid driving at constant engine revs. The first 500 miles, I'll try to keep the revs below 3k but use moderate throttle. You want to build up some cylinder pressure to help seat and break in the piston rings. From there, I'll start ramping it up. Like 4k rpms after 500 miles. 5k rpms after 1k miles, etc. At 2.5k miles or so, I'll go full throttle and hit redline. Oh yeah, NEVER lug the engine during break-in. Well, one should never lug an engine ever, but it's really important not to during break-in. I've found that modern autos lug the engine a bit to maximize fuel economy, so I'll use manual mode if available. With cars with CVTs, I'll just modulate the throttle. Anyway....... excited to see the car!

Quick Reply: Picking-up my new 718 GTS this weekend!