Sponsored by:

Areas for PPF on 718 Boxster GTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 12:29 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Areas for PPF on 718 Boxster GTS

For those that have a 718 Boxster and did PPF, wondering what areas you ultimately covered? I am considering options on a non-metallic black 718 boxster.

Is it worth it to cover the entire vehicle?

Has anyone covered the side intakes or rear diffuser? I worry about those areas since they are cheap plastic.

If don't get all over, assume hood, front bumper, fenders, mirrors, a pillar and window housing, and perhaps small area under door handles might be key?

Thank you for your comments.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:43 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
For those that have a 718 Boxster and did PPF, wondering what areas you ultimately covered? I am considering options on a non-metallic black 718 boxster.

Is it worth it to cover the entire vehicle?

Has anyone covered the side intakes or rear diffuser? I worry about those areas since they are cheap plastic.

If don't get all over, assume hood, front bumper, fenders, mirrors, a pillar and window housing, and perhaps small area under door handles might be key?

Thank you for your comments.
- No use covering the plastic - plastic is cheap to replace and really doesn't show scratches.
- Cover the rockers (#1 dirty place on my car). Paying close attention to the area in front of the rear wheels
- The part that curves right behind the rear wheels is peppered on my car, definitely cover that.
- All lower front body-color trim (bumper and below)
Old 08-27-2019, 01:32 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

When you mention rocker, did you cover the bottom rocker below door and then all the way up to almost beside/height of the side intake?

Do you see much for seams on the rear wheel part, as I don't see how you could do that smaller area without not having a seam, unless you did all the way across above the diffuser?

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:33 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

When you mention rocker, did you cover the bottom rocker below door and then all the way up to almost beside/height of the side intake?

Do you see much for seams on the rear wheel part, as I don't see how you could do that smaller area without not having a seam, unless you did all the way across above the diffuser?

Thanks.
Disclaimer: I actually don't have PPF, but I'm commenting on the parts on my car (26,000mi. daily driven) that I wish I had covered
The whole rocker/intake panel would cover most things.
For the front: whole bumper panel... maybe the hood? But I don't see much there
As for the rear - you could probably have the PPF seam in line with the rear red reflectors. However its done though, I know my paint is thoroughly "peppered" in the part that curves under the car behind the rear wheel - that's the perfect area where stuff gets kicked up into the paint.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:11 PM
duegatti
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The pattern for the rocker panel does go all the way up in front of the rear wheels to the panel seam, and then picks up again behind the rear wheels. It includes the side intakes. Yeah, there are seams, but for me they fall into the "see it once; never look at it again" column. I see them when I wash the car, and then I forget about them. I'm happy that the PPF is doing its job.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:16 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

On my '17, I had the full front done, rockers front to rear and around the rear wheels. Also the spoiler upper surface as there was already a scuff from some knucklehead dragging an item out of the trunk !!

Detailer also removed the front plate, touched up and when the clear film was applied, the holes in bumper almost disappeared!
$2,500 and should pay for itself saving on repaints.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:51 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Anyone have a picture or can describe exactly what front rockers to rear end area is? I am just unclear on what that covers. Thank you!

Originally Posted by abarthguy
On my '17, I had the full front done, rockers front to rear and around the rear wheels. Also the spoiler upper surface as there was already a scuff from some knucklehead dragging an item out of the trunk !!

Detailer also removed the front plate, touched up and when the clear film was applied, the holes in bumper almost disappeared!
$2,500 and should pay for itself saving on repaints.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:50 PM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

I had my whole car done in Suntek and already have multiple dints in the PPF including one on top of the rear wheel arch which is actually a cut that looks like it has gone through.

I do a lot of country drives days on mountain style back roads in a group so my car gets a bit pounded as the roads are often a little rough. Already repaired 5 stone chips in the windscreen and it is literally peppered. Just need some sort of PPF for the windscreen once I get it replaced.

I also ended up wrapping the front black spoiler lip and the other black plastic parts (GTS) as they also take a beating. You should do headlights and the front indicators/side markers as the plastic gets dinted.

Of course you should install grills also to protect the radiators.

If you are driving mainly cleaner city roads and don't tail gate then I think the above would all be optional and a nice clear ceramic coating would look nicer and a lot cheaper and maybe just do PPF around the rear wheels, front and lower back.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:54 AM
Guaji
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by donR
I do a lot of country drives days on mountain style back roads in a group so my car gets a bit pounded as the roads are often a little rough. Already repaired 5 stone chips in the windscreen and it is literally peppered. Just need some sort of PPF for the windscreen once I get it replaced..
My windscreen on my Carrera T took a big hit the other week as I was going to my detailer to pick up something. Whatever it was, it would have cracked the glass. Luckily I have ExoShield on the windscreen. Just left a little mark on the film which is barely noticeable. Check them out. It’s a company in Canada.

For the 718, definitely PPF the rocker panel all the way back to the seam above the intake. Kinda like a hockey stick shape.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:26 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

If one was to do a full PPF, are there any concerns if they have to remove emblems, lights etc? That part scares me.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:35 AM
Guaji
Racer

If one was to do a full PPF, are there any concerns if they have to remove emblems, lights etc? That part scares me.
I wouldn’t worry too much about that. A good installer should remove the Porsche emblem (for example). It will look much better instead of PPF lines around it which can collect dirt. My installer removed many things on my 911, including the front bumper and headlights. Looks fine. But wherever PPF edges are exposed, they may collect / trap dirt which doesn’t look so good. I have wrapped edges on my PPF , however when I open the door I see dirt trapped in the PPF edge protecting the rocker panel.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:45 AM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Guaji
My windscreen on my Carrera T took a big hit the other week as I was going to my detailer to pick up something. Whatever it was, it would have cracked the glass. Luckily I have ExoShield on the windscreen. Just left a little mark on the film which is barely noticeable. Check them out. It’s a company in Canada.
This is a good idea but there is nothing like this available in our "nanny" country and something about not being allowed to put anything on the windscreen in case of an accident.

But thanks, I will do a bit of a search and see if I can purchase the product either here or overseas and get someone to put it on. I assume it does not deteriorate with wiper blades?
Old 08-28-2019, 11:04 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Anyone have a picture or can describe exactly what front rockers to rear end area is? I am just unclear on what that covers. Thank you!
Name:  5L5a6NX.png
Views: 98
Size:  157.4 KB
In my hastily drawn mspaint image:
Yellow is the rear "behind rear wheel"
Red is the "rockers to in front of rear wheel"
Green is the front-end panel.

Red and green follow panel lines and should be able to be tucked.
Yellow isn't really following a panel line at the top (unless you want to go all the way up to the rear taillights which I think is unnecessary)
Old 08-28-2019, 12:03 PM
Guaji
Racer

Originally Posted by donR
This is a good idea but there is nothing like this available in our "nanny" country and something about not being allowed to put anything on the windscreen in case of an accident.

But thanks, I will do a bit of a search and see if I can purchase the product either here or overseas and get someone to put it on. I assume it does not deteriorate with wiper blades?
They have instructions for the care of the film. Basically what I do is clean it with a microfiber towel and glass cleaner ( no ammonia ). I also make sure the wiper blades are cleaned after each drive.
The following users liked this post:
donR (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 12:25 PM
geemman
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my whole front, whole hood, mirrors and rocker panels only. Didn't see the need to cover the rest.

I wish I would have had my lights covered, but oh well.

Yes they take off the lights and emblems, and they did a great job.

I am so glad I had my front wrapped. It looks brand new still and it's 2 years old.

Quick Reply: Areas for PPF on 718 Boxster GTS