Porsche 718 Boxster as only car

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 04:10 PM
porschedood5000
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Porsche 718 Boxster as only car

Hi all!

I am looking to replace my BMW 128i cabriolet with a Porsche 718 Boxster (possibly S), as my only car and daily driver here in Toronto, Canada. Prior to the BMW, I had an MX-5 which was fine except in very deep snow when it became a snowplow!

Aside from the obvious constraints of limited storage and only 2 seats, are there any serious concerns I should know about? To be honest, I’d say my biggest worry is vandalism when leaving the car parked. I’m also curious if I should get PPF and/or any other modifications to protect the car. Finally, is there any difference between base and S cars in terms of practicality and year-round usage? I’ve ruled out the GTS due to price and also lower ground clearance.

I would of course use winter tires when the seasons change.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Sincerely, an aspiring Porsche owner!
The following users liked this post:
Seinsmeld13 (07-10-2020)
Old 06-20-2019, 05:50 PM
Two718s
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

For a daily driver, especially one that's your only car, and especially in a winter environment, I'd strongly suggest a Cayman instead. Those convertible tops really don't do well when driven daily, and the vandals don't know that the Boxster has metal plates in the roof to prevent them from cutting straight through the roof.

I have a 718CS and a base 718 Boxster and I can't imagine using the Boxster as my only car. And I live in California where it never snows and generally has fair weather all year round...
abarthguy (06-25-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:59 PM
leaf345
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

It really depends on your tolerability. If you daily drove a MX5, the Boxster will be fine (although I’m surprised you DD the MX5 in the winter). But most wouldn’t DD a Boxster, especially during a Toronto winter.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:07 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My initial worry would be the soft top during a big snowstorm, but you've already dealt with that.

Go for it.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:21 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

No snow here, and (it seems) many fewer vandals; but I've been driving my Boxster daily for 2 years and the only issue has been that I can't put half a sheet of plywood in it.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:02 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You already seem comfortable with the cab aspect, so if depreciation is acceptable for you go fot it!

If you were asking for a Caterham I might reccomend to hire one for a week during the winter before dipping in with a purchase haha.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:37 AM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm replacing my beater BMW 3 series with a base 718 Boxster. I am going to shoe it with studded Nokian Hakkapelittas (?spelling?) at recommendation of my NH dealer who has a few 718 customers that winter drive their Boxsters. He also recommended PTV (even though this forces PASM option) to reduce wheel spin.. I daily drove a first generation Cayman S with performance winters and it was fine, though I had less luck using performance winters on Cayman GTS, I guess due to extra HP/torque. From what I've read on this site, the cab roof is pretty durable. Mine will be in garage on either side of commute.

I figured why do I want to spend nearly as much money for another performance sedan that I'm going to to hate to drive when I could be driving a Porsche sports car?
Old 06-21-2019, 02:10 PM
Fred V
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm planning on daily driving my Cayman this winter in Montreal, my plan is to slam a set of 18'' wheels with Nokian Hakkas and pray for the best. We get massive snowstorms here sometimes, and I do think i'll need a uber or a beater during those snowstorms but I don't think they're as bad in TO from what I've heard
Old 06-22-2019, 02:02 PM
leaf345
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred V
I'm planning on daily driving my Cayman this winter in Montreal, my plan is to slam a set of 18'' wheels with Nokian Hakkas and pray for the best. We get massive snowstorms here sometimes, and I do think i'll need a uber or a beater during those snowstorms but I don't think they're as bad in TO from what I've heard
Surely you mean the opposite? Montreal usually gets 2x the amount of snow that Toronto does.
Buckeye GTS (03-12-2020)
Old 06-22-2019, 02:11 PM
Fred V
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by leaf345
Surely you mean the opposite? Montreal usually gets 2x the amount of snow that Toronto does.

Yes that's what I meant, maybe I expressed myself wrong I I wanted to say snowstorms aren't as bad in TO as they are in Montreal
Old 06-23-2019, 10:16 AM
BillyX
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedood5000
I had an MX-5 which was fine except in very deep snow when it became a snowplow!

If you drove a Miata in the winter, you are already aware of the joys and panic of ice and snow with a short wheelbase. Ground clearance is about the same. I've only gone part of one winter. Here's some thoughts:

My 718 Cayman has the base suspension. I prefer a manual transmission and the loud sport exhaust because it think it makes me more aware of the point when I'm about to lose traction. You'll carry about 500 more in weight than the MX-5, but have more sophisticated stability/traction control. So, the back end will swing out with spirited cornering anyway, but you won't necessarily face oncoming traffic. I got the Porsche 18" winter wheel/tire set, so it's the same size as in summer. Some drivers want to go narrow for surface contact, but the wide tires blast through the inevitable spring pot holes better, I think. Yes to heated seats, mirrors and steering wheel. I'm not sure, but I think the heated rear-view mirrors only activate if the rear defroster is switched on. If you go Cayman get the rear wiper. I know, it ruins the esthetics. But, the rear window is just as flat as the one on my previous TT's, and I cursed the unavailable option during snowstorms. Don't forget WeatheTech FloorLiners!

Buy it and have full all seasons. Perhaps a Winter Driving Thread is in order?
Old 06-23-2019, 05:10 PM
Surge74
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I live in Toronto and it’s one of the safest cities in the world. Vandalism is a non-issue - just don’t leave anything visible inside the car.

Biggest problem in snow is the low ride height... even the base Boxster will not be great. Just like you experienced with your Miata.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:44 PM
faizaan2000
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll add my experience. I don't technically 'daily' as I live in Manhattan and don't commute but I've put 20,000 miles on in about 14 months. Car sees regular track days, has a hitch for my bike, and also has snow tires for winter, plus spends a lot of time in Toronto. Quite a lot of space in the frunk for a 2 seater. I have SPASM and with careful driving haven't had any issues with scraping, there is the sacrificial plastic piece that will alert you if you're going to scrape. I drive in all conditions except major snowstorms. Even had it up near Tremblant this winter on completely snow covered roads, got some funny looks. I have PTV, haven't driven back to back with non PTV but having the limited slip diff can't hurt in winter.

Last edited by faizaan2000; 06-24-2019 at 04:46 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-24-2019, 05:15 PM
Surge74
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

LSD is a definite must in winter!

As long as there isn’t much snow on the roads, you should be fine.

Adding some weight in the rear (salt bags, for example), will help with read traction (eg, when trying to go up a hill from a standstill).
Old 06-24-2019, 09:22 PM
BillyX
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Surge74
LSD is a definite must in winter!

As long as there isn’t much snow on the roads, you should be fine.

Adding some weight in the rear (salt bags, for example), will help with read traction (eg, when trying to go up a hill from a standstill).
Agreed, thumbs up for LSD.

I will respect weight in the rear because it is traditional winter advise. But, keep in mind that Porsche already put your engine over the rear axle. And to give weight its due, a load of salt, cat liter or sand can can be a multitasker when you get stuck. That's what the dealership told my wife to use in her Mustang GT. The result, the rear end felt heavier (read sluggish), would swing out later and was more difficult to right. After a few weeks the bags were removed resulting in better rear wheel to driver to steering wheel and throttle feedback. That vehicle does have a snow/wet traction setting that takes back some HP and stability, but improves hill and flat traction.

Our driveway is a 1,000+ foot long hill with a kink near the bottom third. We've had an assortment of more than 15 vehicles with 4WD, AWD, FWD and rear drives with front engines (the 718 the only rear engine) over the past 25 years. My seasoned, old man advise for Winter traction:
1) If there's ice on your hill, either toss out some quick melt salt, wait for the salt truck or hunker down until Spring.
2) If there's snow on your hill, have rear wheel drive, have real snow/winter tires, have a manual transmission (or pick the right gear with a self shifter), turn off stability control but keep traction control. Yes, you will have some unwanted but controllable wheel spin (especially if you choose the right gear), but now the stability control won't brake the wheels when you keep up your momentum with some minor drifting. At worst it's more fun.
Surge74 (06-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Porsche 718 Boxster as only car