Sponsored by:

Code PTV off ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 09:06 AM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Code PTV off ?

Searched through here and didn't see anything related....

I'd really like to switch off PTV.

At the track it eats through rear pads exponentially compared to fronts.
I also don't like that the car is essentially taking over from the driver with steering control.
By doing this it takes away some of the sensory feedback that as a driver you want to feel in the seat of your pants.

Part of the problem is also in the ordering process.
with the GTS PTV is included.
with the S PTV is bundled with the mech. locking rear diff

So if you want the locking rear diff; the only way out that I can see is if PTV function can be disabled somehow.

Any insight into this is greatly appreciated.
TIA

Last edited by InTgr8r; 05-12-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:54 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll add a quick "me too" here.

I don't yet want to turn off PTV, but I think this is a great question so would be curious to hear an answer on this as well.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:43 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 973 Likes on 431 Posts

Agree 100%. I bought my 718 GTS for my wife to drive at track events with me, I have an RS. She decided not to, so I have been driving it at tracks for fun . The PTV is ridiculously intrusive and I have been burning through an insane amount of rear pads. Would love to know if it can be un-programmed somehow. Also agree about the steering; at speed it goes so numb and loses most of its feedback.

The best thing I did was buy a set of 19' HRE wheels so I could run Cup 2 tires, this made it pretty dang quick. Also allowed me to get off those awful 4S tires that shred on track.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:37 AM
Jesse_911T
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 718 CS and headed to the track for first time next week. I have PTV and was looking forward to see how it helps in corners. This is disappointing to here. How many runs/days you guys do before having to replace pads?

I have PS 4S on 20” but also have my original yokohama advan sport v105 on 19”s. Doubt they are any better but considering throwing them on just so I don’t chew up the 4S.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:46 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse_718CS
I have a 718 CS and headed to the track for first time next week. I have PTV and was looking forward to see how it helps in corners. This is disappointing to here. How many runs/days you guys do before having to replace pads?

I have PS 4S on 20” but also have my original yokohama advan sport v105 on 19”s. Doubt they are any better but considering throwing them on just so I don’t chew up the 4S.
Exactly this, only I'll be on 19" Bridgestone RE-71R's. I'm planning to do a 2-day event at VIR. My current pads are fairly new. Do I need to be concerned about burning through those in 2 days (~10-12 sessions on track)? Any recommended YouTube videos for swapping pads on our cars? I've done many pad changes on Hondas; this is my first Porsche.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:59 PM
autobahngti
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did 6 days at COTA + 2 other shorter track days and I still have material left in the rear, but I will be switching my pads before the next track day.

I honestly have no idea what y'all are talking about as far as "intrusive", because I haven't felt that at all.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Originally Posted by autobahngti
I did 6 days at COTA + 2 other shorter track days and I still have material left in the rear, but I will be switching my pads before the next track day.

I honestly have no idea what y'all are talking about as far as "intrusive", because I haven't felt that at all.
Great info, thanks!

This will be my first track days in the car, but I've done a couple autocrosses and some very spirited mountain carving and I haven't noticed any intrusiveness either.

The only complaint I'd make is that, even with PSM off for autocross, I've still noticed occasional interference. To be fair though, it's always been when I was overdriving the car and trying to use the throttle to power my way out of the jam that I put myself in. So, I'm not totally sure if it actually slowed me down or kept me from continuing the overdriving. Either way, I had already blown the run at that point, so it doesn't really matter. I haven't felt it interfering at all when I'm actually hitting my marks and driving smooth.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:12 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 973 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamecock718
Exactly this, only I'll be on 19" Bridgestone RE-71R's. I'm planning to do a 2-day event at VIR. My current pads are fairly new. Do I need to be concerned about burning through those in 2 days (~10-12 sessions on track)? Any recommended YouTube videos for swapping pads on our cars? I've done many pad changes on Hondas; this is my first Porsche.
I think it depends on how aggressively you drive. I went through 2 sets of rear pads before my fronts needed replaced. Granted, I was tracking it a ton because my RS was traded in and I was waiting for the new one to arrive from Euro Delivery. I was going to upgrade rotors and pads on the 718, but since my RS has returned I only use my 718 GTS now for daily driving, didn't want to spend the money. I think I got 2-3 full weekends out of my first set of rears (cant remember), but like I said depends on track and driving style. Have fun!
Old 05-21-2019, 08:20 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Originally Posted by disden
I think it depends on how aggressively you drive. I went through 2 sets of rear pads before my fronts needed replaced. Granted, I was tracking it a ton because my RS was traded in and I was waiting for the new one to arrive from Euro Delivery. I was going to upgrade rotors and pads on the 718, but since my RS has returned I only use my 718 GTS now for daily driving, didn't want to spend the money. I think I got 2-3 full weekends out of my first set of rears (cant remember), but like I said depends on track and driving style. Have fun!
I'm pretty smooth; not overly aggressive. Plus, I don't plan on chasing any lap records, as I'd like drive my car home. It sounds like I shouldn't be concerned about changing pads on-site.

Quick Reply: Code PTV off ?