Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 Antichrist gone bad (or good?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 10:01 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts
Default 718 Antichrist gone bad (or good?)

Haven't even changed my signature block nor looked at this forum in nearly a year I think. Thought I would own my '16 Spyder forever and argued countless times of the virtues of NA and couldn't see owning a 718. All the while truthfully having some fundamental issues with the Spyder in the rather tall gearing which still makes me scratch my head. But loved the car. Then I starting dating who would eventually become my wife. She couldn't drive the Spyder (MT) and I wanted her and her daughter to enjoy the Porsche experience. So I traded it last summer for a brand new leftover carmine red 2017 Targa 4S Exclusive, discounted $15k from MSRP. When I say this car is loaded it is. The option sheet is 3 pages long. Leather or carbon fiber everything. Anyway, I love the Targa but consider it more a fun GT car and I missed my beloved Boxsters and Caymans which I've owned 5 of. Today I found an incredible deal on a new leftover 2018 Boxster GTS and bought it. $78k loaded plus tax includes about $15k in options (MSRP $97k). I couldn't say no. This one is metallic black and not leather everything, but it's more for my wife than me, but I'll enjoy it too. I actually drove my first 718 S this past weekend and was impressed enough to own one. Goes to show how my thinking has changed (a lot). I still love the power delivery of NA, but won't miss it. The Targa got me used to a little whine in the delivery. It's not as visceral but the Targa and I'm sure the Boxster GTS won't let you down in the performance dept. One thing the Targa really excels at is cornering. I don't know if it's the wider tires or 4 wheel steering, or both, but it just never gets out of shape. And that's with Pirellis. My yet to be delivered Boxster GTS has Michelin 4S tires and I'm eager to try those out. So for those I scoffed at in the 981/982 debates, no need to forgive me. I'm happy either way.

Didn't trade the Targa btw. Both cars are his/hers. Still miss my Boxster RS60 Spyder the most of all my x-Porsches.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:16 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
One thing the Targa really excels at is cornering. I don't know if it's the wider tires or 4 wheel steering, or both, but it just never gets out of shape.
Check your 3-page build sheet carefully (I know it will be a chore ) for PDCC. Surely with all the other options they didn't forget that one. And if you don't know what that does then go here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/6840...formation.html

As to the rest: 718 haters haven't really driven one...

Old 01-15-2019, 02:01 PM
SharkB8
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

MidEngineRules...you're spot on. I've been through the same journey, except dodged a particular 991 GTS...ultimately succumbing to 718 GTS which I have found completely mesmerizing. Originally had a 718S launch vehicle on tap..but it didn't have the PSE and coming from a 981s with Borla exhaust..I was not prepared for the noticable shift in the soundtrack between the 2. Fast forward to the GTS...everything I wanted...and more. Back in happy land (so is my wife who drives it regularly when she needs a respite from her S5).

Have fun!!!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:19 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

[QUOTE=worf928;15566771]Check your 3-page build sheet carefully (I know it will be a chore ) for PDCC. Surely with all the other options they didn't forget that one. And if you don't know what that does then go here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/6840...formation.html

As to the rest: 718 haters haven't really driven one...[[b]/QUOTE]

Bingo. Such an awesome car. Shame that so many would rather trash it than give it a chance.

Congrats on the new car!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:02 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
If only it were that simple. While I intend to drive one just for the experience, the looks and sound would be deal killers for me regardless of the performance.

That said, people said the same thing about the 991.2. I did drive that car, both base and S model, and did not care for them at all. Even though the performance figures were better than the .1. Go figure.

More to loving and connecting with a car than a stat sheet for many people. I had an allocation and build in for a .2 GT3, but, due to a move, I only had room for one extra car. Came down to either my Spyder or the new GT3. I decided that I'd rather own the much lower performing Spyder than the GT3, and returned the allocation before it locked.

OP, glad you got some cars you love. All that matters.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:27 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by worf928
Check your 3-page build sheet carefully (I know it will be a chore ) for PDCC. Surely with all the other options they didn't forget that one. And if you don't know what that does then go here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/6840...formation.html

It has PDCC. I knew that already but unless you're really pushing hard I don't think it makes a noticeable difference.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:28 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

It has PDCC. I knew that already but unless you're really pushing hard I don't think it makes a noticeable difference.
Read up on it. It makes a noticeable difference all the time even on public streets. It, along with RAS and the wider tires is what makes the big difference you notice.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:31 PM
donR
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Nice outcome. Good point about the tall gearing in the 981 and lack of low torque. The turbo 4 certainly in the 718 overcomes those problems and is a better car all round.

It is a shame we can't all have a GT3 NA engine or a turbo 3l in our boxter/cayman but the turbo 2.5l is a good compromise!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:44 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by donR
Nice outcome. Good point about the tall gearing in the 981 and lack of low torque. The turbo 4 certainly in the 718 overcomes those problems and is a better car all round.

It is a shame we can't all have a GT3 NA engine or a turbo 3l in our boxter/cayman but the turbo 2.5l is a good compromise!
I think balance is key for 987/981/982 platforms. It is possible to have too much of something. My 981 Spyder was hard to hook up and liked to slide around under power. Torque is great until the point of traction loss. One thing I'll say about the 718 is it's a little better balanced than the 981. The 987 was as balanced, albeit performance was obviously a little less in that period of Porsche performance levels. With the exception of the 981 Spyder/GT4, I like the 987 driving dynamics best of all, especially the steering. What is lacking are creature comforts compared to the 981/982 and PDK in the 987 was slow shifting in comparison. I guess my point is each has something to offer. If you want new, the 982 is it.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:07 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I guess my point is each has something to offer.
I am going to agree wholeheartedly with you. For this reason I have kept my MT 987 Boxster S even after I bought a PDK 718 Cayman GTS. I like to use the 987 for top down, windy road, weekend driving. I also find the curvy styling more reminiscent of the original 550 lines. On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoy thrashing the 718 for AutoX and HPDE. There is something to love about all these cars for each of us...well...all of us except whiny broken records like @Archimedes.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:10 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Congrats on your new car! Will undoubtedly be a blast to drive.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:47 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

The 718 is a great car. People need to get over the NA/turbo thing. The 991.2 S is a way better car than the 991.1 S as well.

Quick Reply: 718 Antichrist gone bad (or good?)