Tiny chip in windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 07:34 PM
carzysean
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiny chip in windshield

Hey!
I got a tiny chip in windshield of my 2018 porsche 718. Dealers I contacted so far don't do glass repair. I contacted several "auto glass repair" shops, none of them can guarantee it repairable. Since the chip is tiny and it's close to the bottom of the windshield, they said it has a chance that it will crack if they do the repair.
So, should I leave it as it is now and wait for the chip to get bigger to be replaced or should I repair it?

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I ran into the same issue a couple weeks back - you'll likely have replace the windshield. Depending on your deductible, you may want to do it through your insurance to save some $$.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-09-2019, 08:28 PM
Amiroquai
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd use one of those resin kits for now. If it turns into a crack it should be covered by your insurance.

I just replaced a windshield on my Subaru that started as a small chip and developed into a large crack 2 weeks later. I insisted on OEM glass and got it.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:27 AM
Leicht
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wondering to those who had their windshield replaced, can the rain sensor and camera for the adaptive headlight re-use on the new windshield?
Old 01-10-2019, 04:51 AM
carzysean
Track Day

Thanks. deductible is $100. My insurance agent recommend me to wait until it cracks to get it replaced
Old 01-10-2019, 07:09 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Get it epoxy repaired. The key is to keep moisture out of it so it doesn't develop into an entire crack, then requiring a replacement. Repairs are about $75. Usually 100% covered by insurance. Lots of mobile units too. Easy and fast. If you decide to go this route, put a small piece of tape on the chip ASAP, to keep it clean & dry for the repair person. This yields them the best results. GL.

Can you post a picture?
Old 01-12-2019, 06:47 PM
carzysean
Track Day

Originally Posted by LexVan
Get it epoxy repaired. The key is to keep moisture out of it so it doesn't develop into an entire crack, then requiring a replacement. Repairs are about $75. Usually 100% covered by insurance. Lots of mobile units too. Easy and fast. If you decide to go this route, put a small piece of tape on the chip ASAP, to keep it clean & dry for the repair person. This yields them the best results. GL.

Can you post a picture?

Thanks! I don't have a picture. I've decided to wait until it develops into an entire crack and replace which only costs me $100.

Quick Reply: Tiny chip in windshield