Sponsored by:

NEW RIDE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 12:04 AM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default NEW RIDE!!!

After 7 years of loving my ‘05 997 S I’ve decided to upgrade to something newer. Had planned to order a ‘19 Carrera T, but couldn’t get the numbers to pencil in a way that made sense for us and I’ve long wanted a Cayman. This is also my first purchase of a Porsche new, which was a great milestone in and of itself.

Context wise, in addition to owning the 997 and putting 36k miles on it over 7 years, I have taken every chance I could to rent/borrow various Porsche models over the years. My wife and I love to travel and in almost every case, both in the US and Europe a huge part (sometimes the focus) is on renting a great car and visiting a track or finding and exploring the best roads (Switzerland/Nurburgring being favorites) and everything in between. In almost all cases I go for a P car if possible so I’ve had a chance to spend extended periods of time behind the wheel of a range of models from the early 2000’s until now (mostly 911’s and Caymans, sometimes Macan’s and Cayenne’s). While my heart ultimately remains with the 911, I’ve long wanted to have a mid-engine Cayman in the stable.

Options:
PASM Sport, PTV, Sport Chrono, Sports exhaust, Carrera S wheels painted grey, LCA, HMF steering wheel, luggage net (who skips this?), PSP (skip), Carbon Fiber int. Pkg, Prem. Pkg - 14 way heat/vent seats, LED headlights, 2 zone (really??), light design, Porsche entry

Yeah yeah, shut up and post pictures...

On her birthday after picking her up. The white with the magnesium colored wheels was the big draw for me.

I would have opted for yellow dials, belts and added sport plus seats, otherwise the black interior with heated/ventilated seats, and carbon fiber were exactly what I wanted.

I would not have ordered the LED headlights, but LOVE having them!

981/982 tail lights are phenomenal.

With fresh tint

Old 11-27-2018, 12:58 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Congratulations! I know you have to be beyond excited. Thanks for sharing the story and for the photos of the 718. Beautiful car and I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:03 AM
duegatti
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Psssst . . . "Platinum Satin" sounds a whole lot nicer than "grey". Your car looks great. Many would go for black wheels with white. But I am a big black wheel hater. So then, the basic silver wheel finish might make the whole car look a little too light. With the Platinum Satin wheels, you get some nice contrast, it looks a little "edgy", but it's not the typical boring, obscured black wheel. My car is Miami Blue with Platinum Satin.

Enjoy!!
Old 11-27-2018, 11:25 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by duegatti
Psssst . . . "Platinum Satin" sounds a whole lot nicer than "grey". Your car looks great. Many would go for black wheels with white. But I am a big black wheel hater. So then, the basic silver wheel finish might make the whole car look a little too light. With the Platinum Satin wheels, you get some nice contrast, it looks a little "edgy", but it's not the typical boring, obscured black wheel. My car is Miami Blue with Platinum Satin.

Enjoy!!
Serious questions. What is with the "psssst..."? What are you hoping to convey? And isn't platinum satin just a Porsche name for grey?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:40 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, enjoy in good health!
Old 11-27-2018, 11:44 AM
SharkB8
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! You'll love the midship platform (I know you've said you sampled previously, but living with one is another story), so direct, so immediate, and so livable. Enjoy your journey!!! Great build btw.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:25 PM
duegatti
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
Serious questions. What is with the "psssst..."? What are you hoping to convey? And isn't platinum satin just a Porsche name for grey?
Gee . . . I was hoping to convey a friendly, jovial, light-hearted, "secret", "insider" invitation to describe his wheels by not just a Porsche name - as you pointed out - but the official Porsche name for that wheel color. I am unaware of any other meaning or intentions.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:33 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by duegatti
Gee . . . I was hoping to convey a friendly, jovial, light-hearted, "secret", "insider" invitation to describe his wheels by not just a Porsche name - as you pointed out - but the official Porsche name for that wheel color. I am unaware of any other meaning or intentions.
I see. Thank you for clarifying. I've learned to ask rather than assume, and meant no offense in my questions. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:10 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 151 Posts

Beautiful!! Enjoy!!
question, I haven't searched before re this issue, but the housings look black for the headlamps. Are the LEDs essentially led headlights in black like the 911 option, but it's just stated led headlights for the cayman?
Old 11-27-2018, 06:39 PM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

Very nice and all the great performance bits like PTV, SPASM and SC. Interior is very nice without going overboard. Must be a great drive.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Steve48
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks incredible, congrats!
Old 12-07-2018, 02:47 AM
fan_f1
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I like this build and I like this thread. Enjoy!
Old 12-07-2018, 02:52 PM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if I was doing white would be same look with those color wheels...good luck with her
Old 12-08-2018, 03:08 PM
appzman
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice build! Congrats on the new ride!
Old 12-09-2018, 01:26 AM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

So true, the longer I live with the car, the more it surprises me with how quickly it wants to turn - all the time at any speed. I am finally past the 1,500 mile break in period so I’ve been able to push her a bit, but can’t wait to get on track and truly stretch her legs and push past the 7/10ths that you can responsibly do on the street.

Quick Reply: NEW RIDE!!!