Sponsored by:

Whistling noise around driver's side

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 03:53 PM
ttmedical
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistling noise around driver's side

Hi everyone, I recently had installed a full frontal Suntek film on my 718 BS and today noticed a whistling sound that starts around 75MPH and gets louder from there. It does not matter if the windows are down or up, or whether the top is down or up, any combination of those two. A forum search on Planet 9 and rennlist for older cars or different models hinted that the film covering the mirror may be causing this. Apart from removing the film, some solutions/diagnostics include applying small rubber pads to disrupt the airflow at the top of the mirror housing or taping the edges of the PPF to see if the noise is improved. I haven't yet had a chance to do either of these as I have been stuck at work for a few days but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon. Thanks for any input!
Old 11-08-2018, 12:22 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

I have this on both the 2015 Boxster and the 2016 Cayenne. The Boxster is intermittent so not too much of an issue. On the cayenne I had the installer cut the plastic back further from the grove on top of the mirror about a 3/4 inch. It has helped but not totally gone. The installer would like to try putting plastic in the grove to see if that changes it but I haven't had a chance to stop by the shop. I took some painters tape and covered the grove which stopped the whistle so pretty sure it's the plastic. Amazing how the air flows over these cars that a small piece of plastic can cause a noise.

Quick Reply: Whistling noise around driver's side