Sponsored by:

Cayman is an amazing car

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 08:38 PM
ktr6
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cayman is an amazing car

I have always been a 911 and manual transmission fan since I was a young kid. When the PDK came out I always assumed it was going to be boring/non pure driving experience etc. Well, I have been convinced otherwise.

This past weekend I was able to use a 2018 Cayman S PDK at tail of the dragon in Deal's Gap, NC (318 turns in 11 miles) and it was an amazing experience. The PDK was so great, shifting was smooth, flawless, and perfect every time. Rev matching was spot on, rear end didn't get loose even once on a hard down shift. While I thought I would miss rowing the gears, I really didn't. I felt like I was able to push the car harder since all I had to focus on was brake point/turn in/power out of the turns. Fatigue was definitely less and I was able to spend more time driving.

Im not ready to sell my manuals yet but will getting back into racing soon and I think that a Cayman PDK will be my next track/race car. What a great platform, just need to decide between a 4 and 6 cylinder.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:21 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by ktr6
What a great platform, just need to decide between a 4 and 6 cylinder.
The 981s with the NA flat-6 give you the smooth power ramp and amazing sound you're used to.

The 781s with the Turbo flat-4 give you a huge flat torque curve but sacrifice sound.

There's no question which is faster and which is more "driveable:" The 718.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:48 AM
k3v7n
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed about the PDK. I’ve always had manuals in my Porsche sports cars (including my new 718) but will likely get PDK when I upgrade in a few years. I have it in my Macan and love it.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:12 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by k3v7n
Agreed about the PDK. I’ve always had manuals in my Porsche sports cars (including my new 718) but will likely get PDK when I upgrade in a few years. I have it in my Macan and love it.
I'm sorry to have to tell you this but IMO the PDK in the 718 series will make the Macan "not fun".
Old 10-28-2018, 02:47 PM
k3v7n
Advanced

Originally Posted by GregWormald
I'm sorry to have to tell you this but IMO the PDK in the 718 series will make the Macan "not fun".
Huh?
Old 10-28-2018, 02:51 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GregWormald
I don’t know about *that* .... but, the PDK in Porsche’s sports cars is certainly better than the “PDK” in the Macan which acts more like Audi’s DSG.

DSG might not be as good as ‘real’ PDK but it sure beets a fluid-coupled-torque-converted kick in the teeth. By a long shot.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:54 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a manual 987 Cayman S. Recently, I did the "Master the Manual" session and PEC LA, in the 718 GTS.

Wow, what an amazing experience! I would never have expected the Cayman to be so fast, in the hands of a skilled driver (not myself). The instructor was magnificent and his laps at the wheel were the fastest-feeling experience that I have ever had, including going 170 in the GT3RS at Dream Racing in Las Vegas. The 718 is amazing, and the GTS trim just puts mine to shame.

I have the NA 3.4L and FVD ECM tune, IPD intake and FVD Sound exhaust, and I didn't think that the 718 sounded worse than my car. To be honest, I was just trying to hit my marks and keep it recoverable. But I really tried to locate and hear the terrible exhaust note from the turbo car that so many complain about, and for my money, I wouldn't be dissatisfied in a 718 over my NA. It would be an upgrade in most ways. I still prefer the mechanical steering, though.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:38 PM
k3v7n
Advanced

Originally Posted by worf928

I don’t know about *that* .... but, the PDK in Porsche’s sports cars is certainly better than the “PDK” in the Macan which acts more like Audi’s DSG.

DSG might not be as good as ‘real’ PDK but it sure beets a fluid-coupled-torque-converted kick in the teeth. By a long shot.
How is PDK in a Cayman “better” than a Macan? And how is it “more like” a DSG?
Old 10-28-2018, 05:18 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

How is PDK in a Cayman “better” than a Macan? And how is it “more like” a DSG?
Note that prior to our Macan one of our DDs was a DSG Audi TTS and we have three PDKs now. Thus, I've got lots of miles of butt-o-meter data.

Further, for various reasons, some listed below, some not, I suspect that "PDK" in the Macan is not derived from Porsche's PDK but from Audi's DSG.

Subjective observations:
- PDK shifts are, on average quicker and more 'manual like' in terms of butt-o-meter feedback. There is a feeling that a clutch has engaged (except for starting out in 1st.) While...
- DSG shifts are slower, 'slushier' and more slush-box like than 'clutch like' for any gear shift.

In essence, the PDK feels more-like a manual transmission with a very-expertly programmed automation-assisted mechanical clutch while DSG feels like more-like a viscous-coupled automatic transmission (i.e. slush box) with some paddles on the wheel that are connected a traditional fluid-pressure-modulated gear change mechanism.

I don't know if the primary difference is the embedded software or if there are architectural limitations in DSG that prevent it from working like PDK regardless of the programming.

The above, in comparison of the two only. DSG is far better than any traditional slushbox transmission I've driven. But, not as good as PDK. And PDK in a Porsche sports car won't make "PDK" in a Macan feel 'not fun.' Maybe 'less fun.' But not 'not fun.'

Objective observations:
- PDK actually rev matches when down shifting
- DSG does not, or at least, not nearly as well as PDK. I can feel the drive train dragging the engine speed the rather than the engine speed matching the drive train speed before clutch engagement.

One last objective function that nobody cares about but me: With PDK you can select and deselect neutral from the paddles and with DSG (and the Macan's DSG-like PDK) you cannot.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:33 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Huh?
The Macan Sport with PDK they loaned me while my Boxster PDK was in for it's service was (to me) boring and non-precise in every way, over the same roads I usually drive for fun.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:34 PM
k3v7n
Advanced

Haha, love it. All subjective opinions. What I expected.

For the record, I have a loaded ‘18 Macan Turbo, and it’s plenty fun for what it is.

And I’m on my 7th Porsche.

Regardless, back to the original post; the Cayman is a great car. For what it is...
Old 10-28-2018, 11:41 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

For the record, I have a loaded ‘18 Macan Turbo, and it’s plenty fun for what it is.

We have a '16 loaded Turbo and I agree.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:40 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 428 Posts

I've enjoyed my little 718 GTS, very shocked. Macan is best SUV on market for driving fun, however if you need space its not very helpful. Had to get rid of mine as it wouldn't fit the kids comfortably anymore.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:04 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
I've enjoyed my little 718 GTS, very shocked. Macan is best SUV on market for driving fun, however if you need space its not very helpful. Had to get rid of mine as it wouldn't fit the kids comfortably anymore.
The Cayman is a wonderful car both rewarding and forgiving which is a great double act.

To the gentleman that believes all PDKs are created equal - thats not the case, PDK means double clutch - it doesn't mean the same gear box - the internals can be very different and of different quality, specification and tolerance not to mention the programming, race programming and the link between PDK and systems like PTV and PTV plus In fact, in some ways, its better to think of PDK as part of a system.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-30-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:36 AM
k3v7n
Advanced

Originally Posted by groundhog
The Cayman is a wonderful car both rewarding and forgiving which is a great double act.

To the gentleman that believes all PDKs are created equal - thats not the case, PDK means double clutch - it doesn't mean the same gear box - the internals can be very different and of different quality, specification and tolerance not to mention the programming, race programming and the link between PDK and systems like PTV and PTV plus In fact, in some ways, its better to think of PDK as part of a system.
No one said they were all equal. You have also provided no documented proof otherwise! Of course the set-ups differ slightly between models.

Quick Reply: Cayman is an amazing car