Sponsored by:

Trying to decide between 718 Cayman GTS and 992

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 10:31 AM
steelesm
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide between 718 Cayman GTS and 992

Hi all, I'm a new prospective Porsche owner and was hoping to get some advice. I recently bought a new F80 M3 (fully loaded) as my daily driver kid-hauling sedan. I actually love the F80 but have already starting looking for a weekend fun car that I'd like to stick with for at least 5 years if not longer. After much internal debate and feedback from friends, I've eliminated a TT RS, F-Type R and Lotus Evora 400 from consideration and narrowed it down to either (1) order a 718 Cayman GTS or (2) wait to order the new 992 C4S.

I'm planning to test drive the GTS later this week (which will be my first time driving a Porsche) and I should probably also drive a 991.2 C4S for comparison purposes. My hesitations on pulling the trigger now on the GTS are (1) will I notice much performance difference over the F80 and, if not, would it even matter given the GTS' other redeeming qualities, (2) will I want to "upgrade" to a 992 in a couple of years so it's not worth buying a GTS now and suffering the depreciation hit plus additional expenses (e.g., full PPF which I always do, etc.), (3) I really want sapphire blue which I understand has been discontinued as a standard color and I'm not interested in paying $11k for a custom color so could waiting be beneficial until Porsche introduces a new blue.

Any thoughts on my "dilemma" would be much appreciated.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:22 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

718s and 99*s are not cross-shopped very much. Two different markets. Two very different cars. Two very different price points.

You can get a 718 now. 992 C4S is 18 months away minimum. You won’t even be able to order one until this time next year best case.

You could lease a 718 and the lease would end just about the time a C4S could roll off the boat.

Sapphire Blue: keep waiting, Porsche will probably come out with another blue in the next few months. It might be as good as SB.

Or start dredging the used market for a Sapphire 718 or 99*.*.

Advice?
The most financially-prudent way to by a Porsche is to buy a used one. Based on your post and since this would be your first Porsche, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that you don’t really know what you want anyway: no sense in ordering a new one and changing out in a year or two. Get one that’s a year or three old. You can do that a couple of times and then, when you know for sure what you want order new.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:00 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

^ not bad advice.

Peter
Old 07-01-2018, 02:15 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 545 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by steelesm
Hi all, I'm a new prospective Porsche owner and was hoping to get some advice. I recently bought a new F80 M3 (fully loaded) as my daily driver kid-hauling sedan. I actually love the F80 but have already starting looking for a weekend fun car that I'd like to stick with for at least 5 years if not longer. After much internal debate and feedback from friends, I've eliminated a TT RS, F-Type R and Lotus Evora 400 from consideration and narrowed it down to either (1) order a 718 Cayman GTS or (2) wait to order the new 992 C4S.

I'm planning to test drive the GTS later this week (which will be my first time driving a Porsche) and I should probably also drive a 991.2 C4S for comparison purposes. My hesitations on pulling the trigger now on the GTS are (1) will I notice much performance difference over the F80 and, if not, would it even matter given the GTS' other redeeming qualities, (2) will I want to "upgrade" to a 992 in a couple of years so it's not worth buying a GTS now and suffering the depreciation hit plus additional expenses (e.g., full PPF which I always do, etc.), (3) I really want sapphire blue which I understand has been discontinued as a standard color and I'm not interested in paying $11k for a custom color so could waiting be beneficial until Porsche introduces a new blue.

What type of driver are you? Do you ever auto-x competitively or do track days? If so, then I'd lean towards the 718 as the mid-engine layout has phenomenal handling dynamics. But if you're not that level of driver, you might not even notice the handling difference at which point you might just want a big power car which would put you in a 911. Those are my thoughts/opinions.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:14 PM
991.2forme
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why a C4S? A Carrera S would be a more direct comparison.

The 911 engine is in the wrong place. Nothing handles like a Cayman, and the GTS now has ample power.

I disagree on the post about 99*’s and Caymans not being cross-shopped. My CGTS was $100k out the door and it would not have been a reach for me to look at a C2S or other 99* model - it was the size, handling and look of the Chalk CGTS that pushed my hand that way.

Good luck.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:35 PM
steelesm
Track Day

Originally Posted by worf928
718s and 99*s are not cross-shopped very much. Two different markets. Two very different cars. Two very different price points.

You can get a 718 now. 992 C4S is 18 months away minimum. You won’t even be able to order one until this time next year best case.

You could lease a 718 and the lease would end just about the time a C4S could roll off the boat.

Sapphire Blue: keep waiting, Porsche will probably come out with another blue in the next few months. It might be as good as SB.

Or start dredging the used market for a Sapphire 718 or 99*.*.

Advice?
The most financially-prudent way to by a Porsche is to buy a used one. Based on your post and since this would be your first Porsche, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that you don’t really know what you want anyway: no sense in ordering a new one and changing out in a year or two. Get one that’s a year or three old. You can do that a couple of times and then, when you know for sure what you want order new.
I suffer from OCD, so I've never been able to pull the trigger on a used or CPO. Although I've never been a lease guy, it might make sense in this case for the reason you mentioned re: the timing of the 992s. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-01-2018, 03:43 PM
steelesm
Track Day

Originally Posted by spdracerut
What type of driver are you? Do you ever auto-x competitively or do track days? If so, then I'd lean towards the 718 as the mid-engine layout has phenomenal handling dynamics. But if you're not that level of driver, you might not even notice the handling difference at which point you might just want a big power car which would put you in a 911. Those are my thoughts/opinions.
I'm not a track guy, I just like to drive quick, cool looking cars (ex-US brands). The M3 has more than enough power for my driving ability, that's why I was thinking a Cayman would be sufficient. I also forgot to mention that I like nice interiors, but that seems like a wash between the Cayman and 911 as it appears you can pretty much build the same interior on the configurator, unless better materials are used in the 911. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-01-2018, 03:47 PM
steelesm
Track Day

Originally Posted by 991.2forme
Why a C4S? A Carrera S would be a more direct comparison.

The 911 engine is in the wrong place. Nothing handles like a Cayman, and the GTS now has ample power.

I disagree on the post about 99*’s and Caymans not being cross-shopped. My CGTS was $100k out the door and it would not have been a reach for me to look at a C2S or other 99* model - it was the size, handling and look of the Chalk CGTS that pushed my hand that way.

Good luck.
All things being equal, I'd prefer AWD since I live in Chicago and it never hurts to get off the line a little faster. Having said that, I'm only going to put 2-3k miles per year on this car and probably won't drive it much if at all during the winter.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:45 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.2forme
Note that I wrote "[not] very much" not "never." And you actually kinda of make my point. You picked a Cayman even though you could have had a 991. You weren't going to get a 991 because it's bigger, heavier and doesn't handle like a Cayman.

From what I've observed over the years, most folks either gravitate towards the mid-engine because of the architecture regardless of price (or simply the lower price point) OR they gravitate towards the 991 "because 911, icon, the only REAL Porsche blah blah blah" or because they want rear seats. Those folks don't cross-shop; their minds are pretty much made up even if they force themselves to think about the 'other' one.

There IS overlap but that subset seems to be composed of folks that appreciate the specific differences between the two and weigh trade-offs.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:06 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 564 Likes on 283 Posts

GTS at PWB

GTS in Showroom

GTS in Showroom

GTS on arrival

GTS on arrival

GTS on arrival

Steelesm, I might have a possible solution for you. Porsche West Broward has a new 2018 Sapphire Blue Cayman GTS in their showroom for sale. It is a loaded car that is very striking. They have had it for about a month now and you can probably get 6% or more off on the car. There are very few Sapphire Blue Cayman GTS cars available.

The reason I chose a Cayman over a 911 is because of the handling. I like the dual trunks and I do not need the the small rear seats. But you should drive both and come up with your own opinion because they drive different from each other. Good luck finding your car.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:49 PM
steelesm
Track Day

Thanks OldJedi! The color looks awesome but the deal breaker for me is that it doesn't have a full leather interior. Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:43 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

All things being equal, I'd prefer AWD since I live in Chicago and it never hurts to get off the line a little faster. Having said that, I'm only going to put 2-3k miles per year on this car and probably won't drive it much if at all during the winter.
With how you'll be driving it (no track, no winter) you definitely don't need AWD - I'd take that out of your requirements (will save you weight, and roughly $10k on a 911).
Also, if you're not driving on a drag strip you will never need to worry about RWD traction "off the line" in these cars (weight is over the middle/rear). The only spinning I get is flooring it when it's sopping wet.

You might as well wait this year out already given how little you're going to drive it.
The 992 will be nice, but it's not going to be a lot departed from the 991.2. If you can find a New MY2018 991.2 next spring sitting on a lot with the options you want, you'll be able to get a nice discount as well. The 992 won't have ANY good discounts from dealers.

The GTS will feel plenty powerful compared to the F80 - it's roughly 500lbs lighter and only down 50-75hp. It's also a lot better balanced for chucking it around turns. A 991.2 C4S is about 250lbs lighter, and a C2S is 350lbs lighter (both with roughly the same power as the F80). I'm betting you the GTS will feel like a more dramatic change of a car than a 991.2 would
Old 07-02-2018, 11:13 AM
steelesm
Track Day

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
With how you'll be driving it (no track, no winter) you definitely don't need AWD - I'd take that out of your requirements (will save you weight, and roughly $10k on a 911).
Also, if you're not driving on a drag strip you will never need to worry about RWD traction "off the line" in these cars (weight is over the middle/rear). The only spinning I get is flooring it when it's sopping wet.

You might as well wait this year out already given how little you're going to drive it.
The 992 will be nice, but it's not going to be a lot departed from the 991.2. If you can find a New MY2018 991.2 next spring sitting on a lot with the options you want, you'll be able to get a nice discount as well. The 992 won't have ANY good discounts from dealers.

The GTS will feel plenty powerful compared to the F80 - it's roughly 500lbs lighter and only down 50-75hp. It's also a lot better balanced for chucking it around turns. A 991.2 C4S is about 250lbs lighter, and a C2S is 350lbs lighter (both with roughly the same power as the F80). I'm betting you the GTS will feel like a more dramatic change of a car than a 991.2 would
Thanks for the terrific insight, I can't wait to test the GTS later this week. Purely based on pics, I also tend to like the more aggressive look of the Cayman GTS vs. the 991 and it'll also be interesting to see the GT Silver in person as that's the one color I may be willing to "settle" for over the Sapphire Blue.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:21 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I know lots of people buy for the colour (me!--I was willing to wait) but the performance and comfort options were actually more important to me. I've also bought cars in colours I wouldn't have chosen, and often learned to love them.

So...drive the cars, buy the on that stirs you the most.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:53 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 564 Likes on 283 Posts

Thanks OldJedi! The color looks awesome but the deal breaker for me is that it doesn't have a full leather interior. Thanks again.
No problem, if you are getting ventilated leather seats then definitely look for another car. The Alcantara seats are GTS model exclusive. I wish I could have talked Porsche into ventilated Alcantara seats for my car but they were not interested. Let us know what car you finally decide to purchase.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between 718 Cayman GTS and 992