Sponsored by:

Discounts on 2018 718 Cayman Base or S

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 PM
semtex
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Discounts on 2018 718 Cayman Base or S

Am purchasing a new Cayman in cash. First car purchase ever so need a little help. I have a friend in leasing who said he can get me a 7.5% discount on the model I order.

Am going to drop by my local dealership here in Manhattan next week to see if they can beat that. Had some questions:
  • Is 8% discount doable on these cars?
  • Should I expect them to waive the delivery, processing and handling fee in addition to the discount?
  • Can I ask them to give me an extra year maintenance free including all of the above?
  • Was planning on getting a clear bra for the front of the car. How much is reasonable and would you get it at the dealership or no? They are going to charge me $2500-$3000 for the front of the car. $5500 for the entire car.
  • Should I get rim insurance at the dealership or through my own insurance company (if that's even possible)? And how much should I expect to pay for this?
  • Are there any other discounts or extra purchases that I should be looking for from the dealership when buying?
TYIA, and if you know someone in the NYC area that is reputable and can do a clear bra, tints, etc. for cheaper then the dealership please let me know!

Appreciate all your help guys. Excited to be joining the Porsche family. Never imagined I'd be getting a Porsche one day.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:17 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 895 Likes on 481 Posts

Recent 718S cash buyer here - also a couple of threads about this on other Porsche forums. 8% for a car on the lot doable and reasonable, maybe about 5-6% for an order. A few people have gotten 10% on 2017 'leftovers' on lots in less popular configurations or polarizing colors. Search local inventories online - most of them have pictures of the door panels with VIN and date of manufacture. Maybe you can find something you like that's been sitting for a few months. My local dealer has a nicely optioned chalk 718CS that's been on the lot for 5 months.

I don't have any insight into asking to waive delivery, etc. If you do, I'm sure it will come out of the above discounts, not be on top of it. I assume that they are like any other business and have a total price that makes sense for them to sell at as a win-win. My philosophy - better to get a good price and a positive relationship with the dealer rather than a great price and animosity with the deal. I'll be going back for other cars in the future.

Rim insurance - I'm generally not a fan of this as I prefer to self-insure for everything other than health and major liability. That being said, I got the 20" Carrera S wheels that retail for over $3000 each and there are a million potholes after the bad winter. I was genuinely hemming and hawing, not trying to fake it for a discount, and they quickly cut the price in half ($1100 for 3 years) for the tire and wheel insurance. I went for it. If you're getting 18's or 19's and good roads, I would personally save the cash. Make sure you get a Porsche-sponsored plan, other third party ones can be sketchy in paying claims.

I also pre-purchased maintenance at 50% off. The service in the first couple of years is stuff that the mechanically inclined can DIY, but access to the engine for an oil change involves putting the car on a lift and removing a shield. If you have a trusted local Porsche mechanic, you can probably even save over the 50% off ($1400/3 years) I paid. I'm more comfortable with the dealer as this is my first Porsche, so I went for this also.

I'm not a cover and bra guy, but most people say to avoid the dealer - they generally outsource so variable quality and a middleman involved which adds cost. $5500 seems astronomical to what I've seen online and locally when I was considering pain protection. Hopefully someone local can make a recommendation.

Hope this helps and welcome. I'm only 2 months ahead of you in ownership, but I've been loving my car.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:10 AM
semtex
Intermediate

Called around and sounds like $4500 - $5500 is what independent vendors are offering too. It sounds crazy high to me, but I guess I have some time to make that decision.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:00 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I've said it before and I'll risk saying it again:
Do check the reviews for service from the dealerships. Good service and support can be worth a fair bit. If you check the posts here and elsewhere you will find that some dealers couldn't give a sh*t after delivery and even make claiming on warranty very difficult.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:19 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got close to 10% back in Nov on a 2017 718s

good luck
Old 03-24-2018, 03:48 PM
wriggly
Advanced

I got a tad more than 3 percent off my 18 GTS
Old 04-29-2018, 12:49 AM
semtex
Intermediate

Just an update here -

I ended up getting 8% discount on my Cayman order. I bought it towards the end of March and was told I'd get it by late June. Went through my friend who has a leasing business.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:28 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 895 Likes on 481 Posts

Sounds like a good deal. Congratulations and post some pictures when it arrives.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:17 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

congrats
color, specs, other goodies?
Old 05-01-2018, 06:05 PM
semtex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redduck996
congrats
color, specs, other goodies?
Nothing too crazy. Base Cayman in GT Silver.

Sport plus seats, Bose, Black leather interior, blacked out tail lights, interior light package, model deletion, 20" wheels, auto-fold sideview mirrors.

Going to be my daily driver
Old 05-02-2018, 12:24 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by semtex
Nothing too crazy. Base Cayman in GT Silver.

Sport plus seats, Bose, Black leather interior, blacked out tail lights, interior light package, model deletion, 20" wheels, auto-fold sideview mirrors.

Going to be my daily driver
Hard to imagine a better daily driver.

Manual or PDK?
Old 05-03-2018, 11:56 PM
rdmustang
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am placing an order for a 2019 GTS. Found one dealer who gave me 4% off and only $1k deposit (others were offering 0-2% with $5k deposit). Once I had one dealer offering 4% almost everyone else fell in line. They said the GTS gets slightly less discount and purchasing a new year while current year is still shipping reduces discount. I checked with a total of 9 dealers (7 in state and 2 out of state). One of the out of state guys said his absolute max was 2.5%. Even after losing my business he said 4% is good and if they go a penny more jump on it. I'd like to believe him. Haven't signed the paper work (probably tomorrow) so if I'm way off please let me know
Old 05-18-2018, 10:22 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

very nice, enjoy in good health...

If I had to do it again, i'd go manual all the way.... GT4 perhaps?????
Old 05-20-2018, 09:59 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 564 Likes on 283 Posts

I ordered my CGTS and got 6%. I will pick it up in Atlanta June 7th. Anybody looking for a GTS my local dealer has 7, four Caymans and three Boxsters sitting on the lot. If you play hard play you can get them to 6% off MSRP. Good luck with your new car.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:06 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 564 Likes on 283 Posts

<div style="text-align:left;"></div>

Quick Reply: Discounts on 2018 718 Cayman Base or S