Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 718 Cayman S Buying Advice (esp. lights)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 09:34 PM
JakiChan
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New 718 Cayman S Buying Advice (esp. lights)

Hello Rennlist! I've put in a tentative order (I think I can still change things) on a new S. I'll be the first to admit, I've thrown the book at this car. I've got just about every option in the book on there. You can see all the gory details here. I know that $93k MSRP is a lot for a Cayman S - it's by far the most I've spent on any car ever by more than 2x, although I'm not paying anywhere near MSRP. And I also know there's a lot of FUD about the 718 and the 4-banger. Given that I don't have a V6 Porsche to compare it to I don't think that will be a problem, although the current fun car is a great sounding V6. (It's a 2004 VW R32.) I've considered trying to pony up the extra $20k to get into a base C2 with the options I want, but that car will be an MSRP of $114k, I don't think it's worth it to me at this point. It's 20 extra HP, more space, but the same 0-60 time. So if I'm spending this much money is a stripper 911 better than a pimped Cayman S?

Along the way I've been talked in to a lot of options (I thought the standard interior was fine, but then I got talked into full leather by the SO), but I haven't been sold on the LED light upgrade yet. I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm getting the bi-Xenons with the premium package, and my friend who has had a few 911s and just got a C4S says that he doesn't think they're worth it, especially at $1600. (He's had both on 911s and wasn't impressed.) I haven't been able to find a car with them at night to see or compare them. I'm feeling a little bit of sticker shock at the moment, although my friend keeps saying "it's just money, you'll make more". I figured I'd see that leather dash every day, but would I really be able to tell the LEDs from the Xenons at night?
Old 02-01-2018, 12:44 AM
Curt Wohlgemuth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi JakiChan! I bought a new 718 CS last January, delivered in May 2017, for an MSRP close to yours. Yes, it's a lot. We both "overbought" . If you sell your car in the near future, do NOT expect to get anywhere near the price of those options back in your pocket.

OTOH, if you bought for longish-term ownership, that's a different story -- and my story as well.

Looking at your build sheet, you ponied up for a bunch of stuff I could live without. I got a lot of options you didn't. No big deal, whatever makes you happy!

I *did* buy the LED / PDLS+ lights. Honestly, it's as much because I like the look as anything. I do love how they work at night -- but at that price? Probably not, if you like the looks of the Bi-Xenons.

As to 718 vs 911C2? Do you have any need for rear seats, ever? If not, the Cayman is all you'll ever want, I'm sure (until you go up (way $$ up!) the 911 hierarchy). Would I like a 911 GTS or GT3? Sure, but to get a fully pimped-out Porsche with amazing handling and performance at half the price of these 911s -- I'm happy!

BTW, I love your LO exterior. I got Miami Blue myself, and every time I open my garage door it takes my breath away!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:19 AM
JakiChan
Track Day

Originally Posted by Curt Wohlgemuth
Hi JakiChan! I bought a new 718 CS last January, delivered in May 2017, for an MSRP close to yours. Yes, it's a lot. We both "overbought" . If you sell your car in the near future, do NOT expect to get anywhere near the price of those options back in your pocket.
Well, speaking as someone who is sad about having to sell his 2004 VW R32, after 14 great years...I tend to do cars for the long term. . But I'm curious about your view that we "overbought". How do you mean? If Porsche didn't want us to consider the options they wouldn't offer them. My view is that I wanted a little bit of GT and luxury in my sports car. It ain't no Miata.

Looking at your build sheet, you ponied up for a bunch of stuff I could live without. I got a lot of options you didn't. No big deal, whatever makes you happy!
I'm curious if you'd like to share some examples, both ways? The only performance option I didn't pony up for was the PTV (if I was gonna go for that I should just order a GTS maybe?), but I got most of the go-fast bits.

I *did* buy the LED / PDLS+ lights. Honestly, it's as much because I like the look as anything. I do love how they work at night -- but at that price? Probably not, if you like the looks of the Bi-Xenons.
I would kind of want to see them. The 4 LEDs thing hasn't been a winner for me in the daytime when I've seen it on the SUVs.

As to 718 vs 911C2? Do you have any need for rear seats, ever? If not, the Cayman is all you'll ever want, I'm sure (until you go up (way $$ up!) the 911 hierarchy).
Fortunately, I have a Honda Ridgeline for all my practical needs. It's enough truck for me for sure. And when I got it 6 years ago I realized - having a truck around is super handy...

BTW, I love your LO exterior. I got Miami Blue myself, and every time I open my garage door it takes my breath away!
I was going to go with Sapphire Blue I thought. But two things happened. One, I realized it's too close to the Deep Blue Pearl of the R32, and second I saw the Cayman in LO at a dealership and was blown away.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:28 PM
Curt Wohlgemuth
Advanced

Originally Posted by JakiChan
But I'm curious about your view that we "overbought". How do you mean? If Porsche didn't want us to consider the options they wouldn't offer them. My view is that I wanted a little bit of GT and luxury in my sports car. It ain't no Miata.
Sorry, I must have misplaced my smiley .

You will find that "strippers" are highly valued here on Rennlist, and "over-optioned" cars are frequently sneered at. I dunno, something about not spending more than you need to? As if any Porsche "needs" to be bought?

I'm in the same camp as you. Before my CS, my most expensive car was a 2006 Honda Si -- no way I was going to not get the car I wanted!

I'm curious if you'd like to share some examples, both ways? The only performance option I didn't pony up for was the PTV (if I was gonna go for that I should just order a GTS maybe?), but I got most of the go-fast bits.
I got PASM-S, PTV, 20" Carrera Sport wheels in black, PDLS+, full leather, GT MF steering wheel, CF interior bits, 18-ways, plus a few other minor options.

I didn't get PDK, entry-n-drive, SC, LCA, Nav, Connect, PEC.

When I got my car, the GTS wasn't out yet.

I was going to go with Sapphire Blue I thought. But two things happened. One, I realized it's too close to the Deep Blue Pearl of the R32, and second I saw the Cayman in LO at a dealership and was blown away.
Mostly the same with me! I was leaning toward Agate Grey or something boring like that. My wife asked me, "Does that color excite you?" "No." "What color does excite you?" "Uh, Miami Blue" "So get it!"

Lava Orange has the same effect on me. But I couldn't see myself in an orange car .
Old 02-02-2018, 03:10 AM
JakiChan
Track Day

I got PASM-S, PTV, 20" Carrera Sport wheels in black, PDLS+, full leather, GT MF steering wheel, CF interior bits, 18-ways, plus a few other minor options.
But if only I had all teh moneyz. If I added PTV I'd likely just order a GTS. I thought about it, but my friend and Porsche guru didn't think I'd "miss" it or be able to take advantage of it. And...it was (like PDLS+) more money on an already expensive build. I'd consider the GT wheel, but I'm already paying $470 to get buttons on the steering wheel. That kills me. I considered the 18-ways but the dealership suggested that I, as a larger driver, would find them a bit too snug.

I didn't get PDK, entry-n-drive, SC, LCA, Nav, Connect, PEC.
Some of that was part of the "premium plus" package. I really wanted some luxury features. It kills me how much money I'm spending to get features that my partner's Mazda 3 came with. (That car is amazing for $28k.) CarPlay is mandatory for me now, having had it on another car. I'm giving PDK a try because I've never had a flappy paddle gearbox. I've driven manuals for 20 years, and that's cool - I want to try something different.

Lava Orange has the same effect on me. But I couldn't see myself in an orange car .
If you had told me I'd be getting an orange car I'd have said you were nuts...but something about that color just grabs me. I'm glad I could see them in person.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:18 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

I built a GTS with the same options: http://cc.porsche.com/icc_euro/ccCal...bcode=PJRWJMI2
Personally, I think the black wheels + headlights + tailights look a LOT better on a GTS (especially with Lava Orange), and I would try to stretch my budget to get the GTS - but it's your $$
Old 02-02-2018, 02:27 PM
JakiChan
Track Day

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
I built a GTS with the same options: http://cc.porsche.com/icc_euro/ccCal...bcode=PJRWJMI2
Personally, I think the black wheels + headlights + tailights look a LOT better on a GTS (especially with Lava Orange), and I would try to stretch my budget to get the GTS - but it's your $$
What's sad is that I need to actually spend a little bit more - I don't like the plus seats: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJRWJMI2

I'd consider it, but even with the deal I'm getting (1500 over invoice) that's gonna add something like $9k to the car. The wheels look nice, but they're hard to care for (I've been told) and I've considered doing an aftermarket wheel later on. My budget is already severely stretched, TBH, but I'll think about it. We're not quite locked in yet.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:56 AM
Nimche
Intermediate

What's sad is that I need to actually spend a little bit more - I don't like the plus seats: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJRWJMI2

I'd consider it, but even with the deal I'm getting (1500 over invoice) that's gonna add something like $9k to the car. The wheels look nice, but they're hard to care for (I've been told) and I've considered doing an aftermarket wheel later on. My budget is already severely stretched, TBH, but I'll think about it. We're not quite locked in yet.
If it was today, I would have bought our Boxster S as GTS just to keep some value and we wanted all the GTS options anyways.
If you corner or track, PTV is good.
PSE, I am still not sure.
Lane Change Assist?
All wheels need care anyways.
After all it is your car and you know your needs better but looking at options are always good.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:03 PM
17GTS
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the color. I drove a 718 CS at PEC Atlanta and had a blast. Your option list is pretty similar to my 2015 981 CS which listed around $84k. I ordered the LED lights on my Macan GTS and did not regret it. However, my CS has Bi-Xenon PDLS and I'm more than happy with them. I also ordered Connect on my Macan and honestly, I found it pretty useless. I wanted CarPlay and maybe that is why I ordered it..? The Nav on my '15 CS is just OK. I still prefer to just use my iPhone nav. So, unless you really need something in the Connect Plus option, I would drop that and get 20" wheels. I also have Sport Chrono and have never used it. The one option I don't have is PSE and I am going to get it added at the dealer. I have already upgraded my headers to Soul Performance headers with 200-cell cats. The PEC delivery is a great way to spend a day driving the crap out of someone else's car. I did it when I picked up the Macan GTS last March in ATL when PEC delivery was still a free option.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi JakiChan! If you sell your car in the near future, do NOT expect to get anywhere near the price of those options back in your pocket.

OTOH, if you bought for longish-term ownership, that's a different story --
In the end, the most expensive car is the one you are not content/happy with and trade in. If you keep the car for a long time this can be twenty years for a car like a Porsche) and it keeps you happy, it will be money well spent.

As the saying goes: Buy "quality" once, cry once, buy "cheap", cry every time you use it. or something like that. I, personally, hardly ever regret paying up for something I want once I get over the "sticker shock". The cost fades away but the pleasure remains.

If you can afford, then I suggest you do it... but only you can balance the joys with the monetary sacrifice.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:16 PM
MiamiBlue00718
4th Gear

I have a Miami blue 718. Brilliant in a sea of grey, white, and black

Quick Reply: New 718 Cayman S Buying Advice (esp. lights)