Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA, Rennlist, and the 718

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:31 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't worry about a small number of Rennlisters views on the 718. Don't let them put you off.

I'm a member of four physical car clubs (2 sporting car clubs and 2 Porsche clubs).

I think you'll find the PCA a lot of fun - if like ours, they offer social runs (literally an afternoon drive on interesting roads), tours with other clubs interstate, drives to various vin yards and restaurants, track experience days, track training, competitive events, come and try days, family fun days, charity races and concours event etc. We also get a magazine, which a number of members actively contribute to it.

As with any club, the quality of the club is determined by the membership and prevailing attitudes. I suspect if you join PCA and participate in an active way then you'll get a lot out of it. Moreover, I think you'll find most members, in reality, will appreciate your ride.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:05 PM
dpcompt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCA

After all this discussion maybe I should reconsider. I was really negative in my comments to the PCA. I hope they take me back.
Don
Old 10-25-2017, 04:16 AM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

I've owned cars from almost all the major manufacturers and generally participated in the owner's forums, boards, etc. for all of them.

My 718 Boxster S is my first Porsche, and I love it, but this is the first brand where I've mostly stayed off the owner's forums. I posted here a bit about options and a question or two, but I can only take so many ******** loudly congratulating themselves on their superior taste for "preferring" the 981 in every thread. I have better things to do, like drive my ****ing car.
The following users liked this post:
lion shf (09-15-2021)
Old 10-25-2017, 02:32 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
I've owned cars from almost all the major manufacturers and generally participated in the owner's forums, boards, etc. for all of them.

My 718 Boxster S is my first Porsche, and I love it, but this is the first brand where I've mostly stayed off the owner's forums. I posted here a bit about options and a question or two, but I can only take so many ******** loudly congratulating themselves on their superior taste for "preferring" the 981 in every thread. I have better things to do, like drive my ****ing car.

+1. Well Said.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:06 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I joined the PCA so I could take my 6 month old 981 Cayman GTS to a 3 day DE at Mt. Tremblant. Well worth it for that experience alone. I learned a lot about how the car handles when really pushed.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:06 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 658 Posts

Sorry you have been disappointed with PCA and some members. As for dissing new models, that is an old tradition that goes back to 356 snobs ignoring 911 owners. And if you want to see some real antagonism, check out the 991 forum and look for any 991.1 vs 991.2 thread.

I say, enjoy your car, and ignore the people who don't understand.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:59 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

"hating" evolving car tech is the car forum version of politics on Facebook. It's in every group at every level. Aircooled guys hated the 996. E90 M3 owners hate the new f80 turbo. 4spd 930 owners think the g50 5spd lost "feel."

The psychology loop has the exact same theme every time: the newer car is faster/better and older version owners decry how it has lost character and it's just a marketing exercise. The subsequent confirmation bias pile on could have been scripted by Freud in 1950. It's comical, but it makes the older versioners feel better to group reinforce their collective prior decisions.

If the "group back slap" ego boost upsets you, you aren't going to get any enjoyment out of any car forum.

And if you really want to have fun, go ask for opinions on the 991 PDK in the 997 GT3 forum... you'll be left wondering whether the discussion is about a TRANSMISSION in a car or porsche's having built Christ's crucifix...
Old 10-26-2017, 11:21 AM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
"hating" evolving car tech is the car forum version of politics on Facebook. It's in every group at every level. Aircooled guys hated the 996. E90 M3 owners hate the new f80 turbo. 4spd 930 owners think the g50 5spd lost "feel."

The psychology loop has the exact same theme every time: the newer car is faster/better and older version owners decry how it has lost character and it's just a marketing exercise. The subsequent confirmation bias pile on could have been scripted by Freud in 1950. It's comical, but it makes the older versioners feel better to group reinforce their collective prior decisions.

If the "group back slap" ego boost upsets you, you aren't going to get any enjoyment out of any car forum.

And if you really want to have fun, go ask for opinions on the 991 PDK in the 997 GT3 forum... you'll be left wondering whether the discussion is about a TRANSMISSION in a car or porsche's having built Christ's crucifix...

That is so funny....and true!!!
Old 10-26-2017, 01:07 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 263 Posts

Yeah, the Porsche world has been a bit of a wake up call. I've been in the Alfa Romeo clubs/forums for years, and people there are pretty welcoming of all sorts of people and Alfas.

The Porsche groups...man. There are some good folks, but also a ton of pretentious d-bags who don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold and whose car-guy expertise is basically limited to "More Cylinders Good."

I try to ignore them but it's hard.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

+1

So true. SOS, just a different car and a different year.

And the beat goes on . . .
Old 10-26-2017, 03:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Been a Porsche enthusiast my whole life and owner on and off for just over 20 years. IMO, Porsche has built some great cars and some turds, on and off, in a non-linear fashion. The next gen isn't consistently better or worse than the last. It has been oddly somewhat random.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:32 PM
mrrippey
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I find the 718 hate all too amusing. I just picked up a 718 BS and maybe be it doesn’t sing like the 981 or 987 but my face was all grins when I out hustled a C7, turbo lag, farts and all.

The best Porsche is the one you own. I’ll join PCA just to meet folks and go on some cool rides.

Rippey
Old 11-02-2017, 01:17 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

This is the best summary of state of affairs! And, funny! You got to set your expectations low from online forums. It doesn't matter how educated the person is; or, his/her socioeconomic status. Behind the keyboard, assured by anonymity (unless that person is known to fellow members in real world), the standard is, shall we say, pretty low!

Now, about my superiority complex with respect to 981, ....., never mind! Kidding!

p.s. I am a fan of 982!
Old 11-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Boxsterman
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The best Porsche is the one you own. I’ll join PCA just to meet folks and go on some cool rides.

mrrippey, that statement says it best.

Quick Reply: PCA, Rennlist, and the 718