Sponsored by:

PCA, Rennlist, and the 718

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 04:09 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
Do you get a 10% discount from Paul Miller Porsche?
PM me for info.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:32 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,304 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by dpcompt
I joined the PCA as a new 718 owner, and after all the negative comments by PCA members and many on this forum, I am wondering why would a 718 owner expect any benefit from joining PCA?
Unless you work at Porsche, you shouldn't take criticism of the 718 personally. That criticism, at least when it comes from me, is aimed more at the company than the car itself. Force-feeding an engine designed for the Chinese market to sports-car buyers in the US is not "Excellence." Neither is engaging in artificial market segmentation to protect the sacred 911 cow. It's chicken**** bush-league stuff.

The 718 itself may well rise to a standard of excellence, but not at the prices that people were more-or-less happily paying for well-equipped 981s. Raising the price while moving the engine downmarket was just insulting.

In short, at a time when our choices as sports-car buyers should be expanding, Porsche is removing them. This is why so many 981 owners are clinging to their cars as if they were guns and religion. Many of us see the 718 as a cynical attempt to herd us down a path that leads nowhere we want to go.

None of this has anything to do with you as a new 718 owner, or with the car in your garage.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:47 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Associate Clinger here: I agree, they can have my reportedly tired, 9A1 DFI, should have been a different six when they pry the key from my cold dead hand.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:49 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Congrats on the new ride, and try not to be overly sensitive about the 718 slamming. I am in the camp that prefers the 981, but I also appreciate the many benefits of the 718 over the 981. For some people, it would be a better car. I'd like to think most Porsche owners are mature enough to admit that. Neither is objectively better. I prefer sound and liked buying a pre-depreciated car, but others may prefer torque and mod-ability.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:09 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Actually, all the back-and-forth on this thread, and the other. much more vituperative, 718S thread (talk about hammer-and-tongs), has made me even MORE interested in the base 718 Cayman. Not as a replacement for the sainted 987 Spyder, but for duty as a daily driver. The PDK base 718 Cayman sounds like it would be perfect for the DD role.

To the OP - hang in there. It's a bit like the hazing to get into the cool frat house. Grin and bear it, and the d-bags seem to disappear. Mostly just us car nuts around here.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:28 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 205 Posts

I would love to take a spin in a 718 to feel the "turbo lag" that everyone complains about... I do suspension tuning for a different tier one manufacturer and the last project I worked on replaced an outgoing V6 with an incoming I4 Turbo, and I have to say, after logging some miles on the test mules I couldn't stand stand the old V6... it was lethargic in the mid range and had to be wrung out to make power. The turbo torque swell around 3k is just hard to beat. I will admit that personally I like the sound of an I4 better than an H4, and that is enough to likely turn me off of the 718.

I have to say, as someone that has owned both 951s and aircooled 911s, it is absolutely hilarious to hear 6 cylinder BOXSTER owners try to say that a 4 cylinder turbo boxster is any less of a true Porsche......... big picture folks.....
Old 10-24-2017, 06:01 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I didn't read many if any comments saying it didn't deserve to wear the marque. Most of the criticism revolves around the price value proposition and personal preference of sound. I loved my 944 and that didn't have any sound to celebrate emanating from it either.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:16 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It pains me when I hear about what some folks are putting you (and others) through. You have bought a great machine. Enjoy the car. Its a great performer.

Also enjoy the PCA for what it is, and ignore the critics. For my wife and I the PCA is a platform to socialize with friends and meet new friends. I know each PCA Region is unique, but my experience is that all have a faction of folks that insist each change to the latest car generation is #$%^ and the world is ending. And god forbid if you made a change to something the club did - these same folks went nuts when we did away with the print version of the region magazine. In their minds Porsche should be limited to building 356s and 911s. Ignore the curmudgeons and find the fun folks in your region. I was a Regional VP and President and had to deal with it constantly.

In 10 years we may be wishing we had cars to purchase with 4 cylinder turbos and MTs.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:28 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

mgerber, Regarding that ten years: Or that we were still allowed to drive them
Old 10-24-2017, 06:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

PCA membership is worth it for the magazine alone. Usually a pretty good read.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Boxsterman
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Each person will get out of a PCA membership what they want to. It is good to meet people who share a like interest, and as most find out, other interests as well. Many make life long friends in it. Others don't. You need to see for yourself IMHO.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:23 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 973 Posts

http://www.motortrend.com/news/porsh...st-drivers-car

Great article on an amazing car. 2nd place in shoot out with some very nice cars.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
http://www.motortrend.com/news/porsh...st-drivers-car

Great article on an amazing car. 2nd place in shoot out with some very nice cars.
"Problem: it sounds like someone put a muffler on my garbage disposal"

That's a new one.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by dpcompt
I joined the PCA as a new 718 owner, and after all the negative comments by PCA members and many on this forum, I am wondering why would a 718 owner expect any benefit from joining PCA?
Don’t let the negative comments dissuade you from participating in this community.

I take crap from some people for driving a “hairdresser car” I don’t let such comments bother me. I love the 911, having owned several iterations over the past 30years. However after discovering the Boxster platform a few years ago I became smitten, and don’t care what anyone thinks about it.

You’ll find many if not most people in the PCA community will support your decision to buy and enjoy a wonderful sports car. If you love and enjoy the car isn’t that all that matters?
Old 10-24-2017, 08:39 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
mgerber, Regarding that ten years: Or that we were still allowed to drive them
I hope you are wrong but fear you are correct!

We need to enjoy what we have before that happens...

Quick Reply: PCA, Rennlist, and the 718