Sponsored by:

2017 718 Cayman loaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2017 718 Cayman loaner

My Cayenne is in getting the transfer case replaced and my dealership put me in a 718 as a loaner for fun. I haven't driven a Cayman since the second generation. Thought I'd give a shout out to you folks and mention that I'm having an absolute blast with this go-kart!

At 6'3" and with sensitive hearing I will say that I have new respect for those of you driving these as a daily commuter. Not sure I'd be able to pul that off.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:21 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
My Cayenne is in getting the transfer case replaced and my dealership put me in a 718 as a loaner for fun. I haven't driven a Cayman since the second generation. Thought I'd give a shout out to you folks and mention that I'm having an absolute blast with this go-kart!

At 6'3" and with sensitive hearing I will say that I have new respect for those of you driving these as a daily commuter. Not sure I'd be able to pul that off.
What a fun loaner! Just keep it in Normal mode for the sound - to me the engine's barely there.
I'm 6'1" and I fit just fine. The steering wheel is right between my knees, but it's all comfortable and not cramped at all.
I used to be an "upright" driving position person, but the Cayman feels better if you have more of a "leaned back" position.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:43 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary

I recently had a 718 Cayman loaner and I felt like it was far too quiet, almost sedan-like. The car I was given for the day didn't have PSE and after all I'd read about the controversies surrounding the 4 cylinders sound I was left with the feeling that those who've complained are doing so with good reason.

When it comes to a premium sports car, each time you get behind the wheel it should be an event, and with the 718 I just didn't really feel anything. performance numbers are inarguably important, but the soul of a Porsche is what's set it apart from the completion for all these years. Now that road cars are far exceeding what can be reached on public roads (even the base Cayman) the soul of the car is more important than it's ever been, perhaps.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:49 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The 718 has loads of character, just not as refined and subdued as prior gens - my 2007 included. Much more brash and capable. I use mine as a daily commuter, and fit with room to spare at 6'3" with size 14's and a 46L jacket size. The sound is different and grows on you. Even with the stock exhaust hitting Sport will wake up the exhaust and garner gurgles and backfires.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:57 AM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
I recently had a 718 Cayman loaner and I felt like it was far too quiet, almost sedan-like. The car I was given for the day didn't have PSE and after all I'd read about the controversies surrounding the 4 cylinders sound I was left with the feeling that those who've complained are doing so with good reason.

When it comes to a premium sports car, each time you get behind the wheel it should be an event, and with the 718 I just didn't really feel anything. performance numbers are inarguably important, but the soul of a Porsche is what's set it apart from the completion for all these years. Now that road cars are far exceeding what can be reached on public roads (even the base Cayman) the soul of the car is more important than it's ever been, perhaps.

Funny, I test drove a base 718 Cayman last weekend and didn't feel that way at all. I thought it had plenty of "soul" and in no way was it quiet like a sedan. Just shows that everyone has a different perspective and opinion.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:04 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Originally Posted by lajoiedp
Funny, I test drove a base 718 Cayman last weekend and didn't feel that way at all. I thought it had plenty of "soul" and in no way was it quiet like a sedan. Just shows that everyone has a different perspective and opinion.
I guess I should have noted that the car I dropped off for service was a 2016 naturally aspirated Cayman the had the sport exhaust and sport button engaged for the more than an hour drive I have to the dealership. Say what you want about the difference in sound between the 981 and the 718, but when you also add that the NA flat 6 car has PSE and the turbo 4 does not, perhaps my impressions of the 718 were overly clouded. Also, I only had the 718 for around town driving and it's when the car is at idle (stopped) that it emits such an unimpressive note.

I didn't mean to subject 718 owners to more badmouthing of their car, which to me makes me a bit sad for both Porsche as a car company as well as its new owners who perhaps may never have had a chance to become used to (mesmerized by?) the sound of a NA Porsche flat 6. I doubt I'm an outlier in that I specifically sought out a 2016 Cayman with PSE since I knew that was to be my last chance to buy a brand new car that was designed by Porsche rsther than a partnership between Porsche and politicians (without spending what I consider to be an exhorbitant amount of money on a GT4 that notches down the classiness and way ramps-up the sportiness with be wing and the mandatory manual gear box). I 100% respect the buyers of the new 4 cylinder 718 cars, since regardless of how you feel about the 981 vs. 718 "controversy", either car was/is the best in its class. To each his own.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:40 AM
SDPorschelover
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been driving a base MT 718 for 5 months now. I think the steering feedback is phenomenal and the engine power even when at speed on the freeway is linear and strong. I enjoy driving the car as an every day driver. Would definitely recommend it
Old 10-07-2017, 06:55 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,141 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by SDPorschelover
I have been driving a base MT 718 for 5 months now. I think the steering feedback is phenomenal and the engine power even when at speed on the freeway is linear and strong. I enjoy driving the car as an every day driver. Would definitely recommend it
I have to agree.

I literally just drove a base 718 cayman and a 991.1 Carrera S back to back- and have to say I enjoyed the Cayman more. Both were manual.

Of course the Carrera had the dramatic sound, which was great (neither car had sport exhaust, but the Carrera had Sport Chrono FWIW), but the Cayman had its own sound and I admit I was skeptical- having already driven a PDK 718 Boxster S as a loaner I wasn't initially sold on the engine noise but all I can say is it's different in the Cayman, at least inside the car. Maybe because it was a 6 speed and I felt like I was in more control... It's a pleasant, "sports car" noise. I'll concede that it reminded me of an STI I had (for obvious reasons), or other Japanese performance-oriented 4s... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Lots of intake noise, a deep growl and the swooshes and tweets of the turbo. It's definitely different from the flat 6 howl and maybe it's an acquired taste (that didn't take long for me to acquire), but great in its own way. I highly encourage people to get past their preconceptions and give it a shot if you're even remotely interested.

But the driving experience- I'll be the first to agree that sound is important... and it ABSOLUTELY IS better in the 911... but not enough to make me want the 911 more. The Cayman feels more agile and all around more pleasurable to drive. The shifter is AMAZING, even over the 911 (I heard the 991.2 is improved over the 991.1)... The midrange torque and high end pull of the 911 was great- and I definitely noticed turbo lag with the Cayman... but the rush of torque you get just as soon as you notice the lag is fantastic. Obviously I didn't have it on a track but I'm not concerned about any lack of throttle response as the lag is only noticeable in the lower rev range and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be hanging out there on the track. Again, this was just the base 2.0 liter Cayman... and I'm coming from an M4 which is an extremely powerful car (too powerful for the street, which is why I'm considering moving on from it). The Cayman is PLENTY of car.

The base Cayman is in its own right an amazing car... but I have to concede I just don't see why anyone would buy it with a PDK. That car is meant to be as pure a driving experience as possible; as great a transmission as it is, the experience is completely numbed by the PDK. You're not setting any lap records anywhere in a base Cayman, most people probably aren't buying it as a commuter... I just don't see the appeal of that car without the full engagement a third pedal and that FANTASTIC shifter gives you... it's a shame because the dealer inventory is pretty limited as far as manuals are concerned.

Quick Reply: 2017 718 Cayman loaner