Engine Coolant bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:15 AM
zappiros
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Engine Coolant bleeding

Hello to everyone !!! Long time no see

I need help from somebody.....I don't remember me the correct Steps to bleed the coolant from a 996 engine as they appear on the Porsche Service Manual, (My manual was lost and I just change a cracked expansion tank...)

It was something like:..... keep the expansion tank open until car gets into operating temperature, then open the valve from tank close the cap, bypass radiator vents, rev's every minute to 4000 rps for 30 secs...bla bla bla.... I don;t quite remember how the manual says....

Anyway....if somebody have it, I realy apprecciated, regards to all !!!

It is also very strange that, this instructions are not posted as DIY on renntech...?

zappiros
Old 07-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Below is for when you add a center radiator up front but still the same procedure for bleeding the system of air.

Here are steps given in the service manual for bleeding the air from the coolant system:

1. Consider covering the trunk with plastic in case of a coolant overflow.
2. Remove the radiator cap, oil filler cap, and dipstick.
3. Pop the cover trim plate off the filler access area. This reveals the bleeder valve. If you remove the little screw above the trim plate to do this, be extremely careful to not drop the screw into any of the filler necks.
4. Flip the bleeder valve locking clip up to release it.
5. If you have an automatic transmission, remove fuse B1 (the ATF cooler valve).
6. Fill with coolant up to the bottom edge of the filler neck.
7. With the engine idling, occasionally revving the engine, fill up with coolant until there's no more room when the engine is revved. (Revving may raise the level a bit.)
8. Replace radiator cap.
9. Warm up engine until you are sure the thermostat is open. 10 minutes at 2500 RPM should do it, and you should hear the radiator fans come on.
10. Run 5 more minutes at 2500 RPM, revving to 5000 RPM every 30 seconds.
11. Carefully open the radiator cap, and top up the coolant.
12. Replace the radiator cap.
13. Run 5 more minutes at 2500 RPM, revving to 5000 RPM every 30 seconds.
14. Idle until the radiator fans cycle on and off once.
15. Carefully open the radiator cap, and top up the coolant.
16. Put everything back the way it was.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:10 PM
dannyway
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Below is for when you add a center radiator up front but still the same procedure for bleeding the system of air.

Here are steps given in the service manual for bleeding the air from the coolant system:

1. Consider covering the trunk with plastic in case of a coolant overflow.
2. Remove the radiator cap, oil filler cap, and dipstick.
3. Pop the cover trim plate off the filler access area. This reveals the bleeder valve. If you remove the little screw above the trim plate to do this, be extremely careful to not drop the screw into any of the filler necks.
4. Flip the bleeder valve locking clip up to release it.
5. If you have an automatic transmission, remove fuse B1 (the ATF cooler valve).
6. Fill with coolant up to the bottom edge of the filler neck.
7. With the engine idling, occasionally revving the engine, fill up with coolant until there's no more room when the engine is revved. (Revving may raise the level a bit.)
8. Replace radiator cap.
9. Warm up engine until you are sure the thermostat is open. 10 minutes at 2500 RPM should do it, and you should hear the radiator fans come on.
10. Run 5 more minutes at 2500 RPM, revving to 5000 RPM every 30 seconds.
11. Carefully open the radiator cap, and top up the coolant.
12. Replace the radiator cap.
13. Run 5 more minutes at 2500 RPM, revving to 5000 RPM every 30 seconds.
14. Idle until the radiator fans cycle on and off once.
15. Carefully open the radiator cap, and top up the coolant.
16. Put everything back the way it was.
This is a bit off topic, but i really wonder why you should remove the oil filler cap and dipstick?
Old 12-19-2019, 02:30 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 767 Posts

It is not necessary to remove the oil filler cap and dipstick, in fact, for a simple bleeding of the expansion tank, it would not be advisable to have those open because sometimes there is a fairly good chance the expansion tank may burp some coolant out.
The following users liked this post:
dannyway (12-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Engine Coolant bleeding