Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Lindsey Boost Kit Installed...Couple Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got my Lindsey Boost Kit Installed...Couple Questions...

So, I got my fuel lines changed (Lindsey kit) and the boost kit installed today. Just got back from a quick test drive. The kit install for me was basically the boost line and the 951max DME and KLR chips. I already had an aftermaket FPR that at idle sits at 39PSI.

I didn't shim the WG...I'm going to put a Tial 38mm in there (btw, can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do this?? I can't figure out what I'll need to simply replace the stock WG...I've read a number of threads but can't figure out if I need the shims or other pieces to get the Tial installed in place of the stock one).

Is not shimming the WG going to be a problem temporarily with this upgrade? What does shimming do exactly?

Also, curious if anyone else has done this upgrade? What was the difference in performance for your car? I'm still trying to figure it out on mine. 2nd gear accelerating around 3k is little sloppy...kinda laggy until the turbo spools and kicks in.

My experience thus far with the turbo spooling has definitely been different than stock. It seems to spool slower, but earlier and once it hits 2BAR it's like a rocket went off. The scary thing though - is it seems to stay there as long as you are accelerating and on a couple occasions in 2nd and 3rd at higher RPM (but before redline) I heard a couple 'clicks' in the engine/or underneath the car. No idea what they were but I backed off the gas as soon as I heard them.

Anyway, curious as to what others who have done this ugprade saw different and if you made any other tweaks/modifications after upgrading to get optimal performance?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It made a very noticable difference in my car. I have yet to install the shims. How loud were the clicks?

Have you experienced any wheel hop with this new setup? The first time I drove mine with the chips, lbe and a cat delete, the car was completely different.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:14 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

not very loud - felt as though it was mid/front underneath...kinda wastegate area (not saying it was the WG). Hard to describe the sound actually...kindof a wheezing rattle, if you will. It wasn't a "holy $%^!!" but more of a..."hmmm...that doesn't sound right..." if you know what I mean.

What do you mean by 'wheel hop'? Spinning the tires? I haven't been able to get my car to do that at all...I've got 17" 265's in back...

The kit definitely made a huge difference. It seems a little sloppy getting there to me (seems almost a big 'laggy' until about 3500-4k and then BAM!) but once the boost kicks in it's a completely different car than stock, no question about that. The LBE supposedly limits boost to 10PSI unless you muck with it, correct? I don't want to risk anything there as I don't have a boost gauge to monitor it. I'm considering adding one if/when I upgrade my WG. I gotta figure that out though...seems like Tial is the way to go but read a bunch of posts about fitting problems, etc... Not sure exactly what to get and what other pieces to get to make it work.

I couldn't get the 'clicks' to come up in 4th gear. Really at the top of 2nd gear is when they showed up. I could get it do it in 3rd, but I had to force it there - I almost would never rev that high before shifting anyway...

I just drove it tonight running a few errands...I'm going to take it out tomorrow and really mess around with it - see how does really warmed up and see if I can discern exactly when/what that sound might be and be a little more precise about where it's coming from.

Last edited by choinga; 02-04-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont really know what the LBE does interms of raising the boost levels, but my car according to my new VDO boost gauge is making 15 psi in 3rd and 4th.
What is your gauge reading?

I do get what you mean about sloppy though, the kit seemed to enhance the turbo lag. And Ive got 16" 245's in back and it will spin tires with a quick stab of the throttle into boost in 1st and sometimes 2nd. then again it is 25 degree's out, lol.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

well, we have the same car and it sounds like the same mods so I'm guessing I'm doing about the same. Do you have the stock injectors or did you upgrade those? Any other mods for you?

What does your fuel pressure gauge show at idle - just curious? I may need to make a few adjustments there. Dave said to pull the vacuum hose off and adjust the screw on the FPR until its 43PSI at idle. When you put the hose back on it will drop a bit. Not sure how much, but I figured 43 to 39 is pretty much there. I probably need to pull that hose off and tweak that for the optimal setting...

What wastegate/boost gauge did you go with? Did you do the install? How was it? The install itself looks pretty straightforward...just heard horror stories about shearing bolts and such which I'm not equipped to deal with...might go with my local shop on a WG install...
Old 02-05-2009, 03:25 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought a lindsey racing waist gate because its a direct bolt in. If you buy the Tial you have to buy adapter plates that SFR sells. honestly, Tials are great pieces of work but i dont think its worth all the work to adapt them to the car(and i have the shop to do it no problem)
Old 02-05-2009, 06:23 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. Did you buy their dual port? If you do a dual port, do you have to use a boost control device or can you set it at the WG and be done with it?

Quick Reply: Got my Lindsey Boost Kit Installed...Couple Questions...