Installing a windstop...help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 PM
photolaz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing a windstop...help

Hi all,

Just picked up a windstop on Ebay and it arrived today. So I was messing around with trying to install it and couldn't figure this one out. I did a search and found some info here and hope that someone can clarify it for me with photos or whatever.

This is what was written, it was a 2003 post:

"On my '91 cab there are two black plastic circles on each side of the rear of the cabin."

I don't have those on mine

"The two fold down plastic arms fit into those holes, the 2 elastic straps hook into the wire loops (the same ones you use for the cab boot) and the wire frame rests on the seat."

What wire hoops are they refering to and I don't have seats in the back because it was a rear seat delete and have the thing with the 2 glovebox like doors on it. Will it still work with this and how.

Your car should have a black plastic disc (around 2 inches in diameter) on each side, near the rear speakers. These discs pop out to allow access to the convertible top's mechanism (in case you have to operate it manually). The kit comes with discs that replace the solid plastic discs - they look similar, except they have holes in their centers for the plastic arms to fit into."

Anyone know what the part number might be, I have no way to look it up.

Any help or guidance that anyone can give would be appreciated.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:41 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The black plastic covers should be just to the rear of the speakers in the rear. the elastic hoop things are mounted in the luggage dump, or should be, on the rear of the dump. Can't help on the replacement disks unless you have the part number for the screen itself. Then I have a place to start searching.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hawk is right. I've a 91Cab and bought a (new) windstop years ago. All I needed to do internally was (i) remove the 2 black plastic covers from the rear and replace them with the two plastic circles with holes in them and (ii) lower my rear seats and locate the wire hooks at the bottom edge where the seats meet the rear bulkhead.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:31 PM
photolaz
Advanced

Originally Posted by hawk911
The black plastic covers should be just to the rear of the speakers in the rear. the elastic hoop things are mounted in the luggage dump, or should be, on the rear of the dump. Can't help on the replacement disks unless you have the part number for the screen itself. Then I have a place to start searching.
Hi and thanks for the replies. The part number is : 000-043-202-10-OEM. There are no plastic or otherwise caps back there. This is an electric top but no motors, I raise and lower it manually. So I guess I have to creat some holes for these plastic plugs to go into for this to work. I'm not sure what to attach the straps to because ther is nothing there also. An the wire thing doesn't seem to fit anywhere since I don't have seats back there to give me some guidance. So , I believe I will be winging this one to make it work. I do appreciate the replies, now I have a better idea as to how this fits in and goes together.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:47 PM
hawk911
Race Car

What year is yours? Doesn't sound like a 964.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Yep, thats my thinking too. Or else a 964 that has had body work done......
Old 10-29-2007, 11:05 PM
photolaz
Advanced

Your almost right, it is a 1991 C2 964. It started it's life as a Targa but was skillfully turned into an America Roadster. Which is why my signature has the word "faux" in it. In other words a fake. I was the one that was wriiten about in Forbes and other publications about being scammed on Ebay. Buying a "perfect" America Roadster for a hugh amount of money. Luckily I got the car instead of no car and loosing the money. I spent months tracking the guy, documenting this and many other scams and then taking my findings and evidence to the FBI and the local (to him) Police. Ultimately getting some restitution and seeing him go to jail. I now have to wait until he's out to get the remainder of the restitution. It's a really long story, kinda like a "made for TV movie" thing.

Anyway the conversion was done by an expert. All the correct Porsche parts were used except they skimped on the motors for the cab part, there are none which is fine with me. The top goes down May 1 and back up Oct 31 every year. That is why I don't have the plastic plugs you all are referring to. So inorder to make this work I need to get those parts and then figure out where I have to cut the holes for this to go together.

I'm in this car for the long haul. I'll get my money from him and my moneys worth out of this car even if it kills me (not). If I keep it nice maybe it will appreciate enought someday to make up the difference. So while I'm enjoying the biggest blunder of my life(but it really is a nice car) I might as well add a few things to it to make it more enjoyable.

So any help, once again, is appreciated.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:31 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Maybe a picture or two of the rear compartment would help us find the right hardware to make this work.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:09 AM
photolaz
Advanced

Maybe a picture or two of the rear compartment would help us find the right hardware to make this work.
Here you go with some photos....
Attached Images   
Old 10-30-2007, 11:22 AM
photolaz
Advanced

Originally Posted by photolaz
Here you go with some photos....
In case anyone is wondering what it looks like:
Attached Images    
Old 10-30-2007, 01:33 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Well, my first thought is you need the beauty covers that go on to of all the hardware. The plastic disks are an insert into those pieces. Without one, the other is useless.

nice "faux" finish though.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:03 PM
photolaz
Advanced

Well, my first thought is you need the beauty covers that go on to of all the hardware. The plastic disks are an insert into those pieces. Without one, the other is useless.

nice "faux" finish though.
By beauty covers are you saying the rear inside panels would need to be replaced with the correct ones?

I thought that I could order the parts that are needed and just carefully cut the holes for the inserts. I know this wouldn't be as the factory would do it but there are a lot of other things with this car that the factory didn't do anyway.

Does anyone have a photo of what the correct inside rear panel is supposed to look like?

Thanks for you time and thoughts about this project.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I don't have a good picture of the inside panels. I can try either later tonight or this week sometime.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

You'll also need to put hooks for the straps at the back of the compartment.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:09 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by photolaz
In case anyone is wondering what it looks like:
That is my cars long lost brother!

Quick Reply: Installing a windstop...help