Sponsored by:

Thick Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:24 PM
turbo'S'
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thick Smoke

Each time on start up when the car has sat overnight I get the most incredible thick blue belch of smoke out of the pipes.
Car starts well and runs fine!
I know they do this to some degree but the whole driveway is filled with smoke that lingers for some time. Anyone else have the same or some advice?
Not done 1000miles yet, perhaps this is part of run in?
TIA
Old 03-26-2007, 07:23 PM
LucasK
AutoX

I had the same problem with mine, used to start it up in the morning and thick smoke would come out of the exhaust. So I range Porsche up and explained the problem, and they said this was to be expected. I've had a few turbos previously, and I remembered that one of them had a similar problem, and it turned out there was oil in the turbo. So I spoke to Porsche again and explained my thoughts about there being oil in the turbo. So they opened up the turbo, and low and behold there was oil on one of them which was causing the smoke. So Porsche ummed and arrgghed cos it's an expensive warranty claim, but in the end they replaced the turbo and problem solved.

With your current situation. the smoke should stop when the oil temp reaches running temp, but this is not ideal when you're sitting in traffic with thick smoke coming out of your car :-).

Hope this helps

Lucas

Last edited by LucasK; 03-26-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:13 PM
bbywu
Instructor

Is there discoloration on your exhaust tips?

My 996 TT always did this. No big deal.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:40 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Always let it idle a minut before shutting down after a hard run. I'd get it checked out at the dealer.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:09 AM
bbywu
Instructor

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=11628
Old 03-27-2007, 06:03 AM
LucasK
AutoX

I have just put my 997TT back into Porsche as it started smokign again from the right hand exhaust pipe.

The pulled off one of the pipes and 150ml of came out they reckon, They're really not sure whats causing this problem, but there's a lot of smoke coming out of the car until it reaches about 90 degrees running temperature.

Hopefully I will get some more info tomorrow. There's only 3000km on the clock, and they've just replaced the turbo, so there has to be elak somewhere that they aren't seeing
Old 03-27-2007, 04:57 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOME OIL IN THE PIPES, THAT IS NORMAL
Old 03-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Todd/A.W.E.
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo'S'
Each time on start up when the car has sat overnight I get the most incredible thick blue belch of smoke out of the pipes.
Car starts well and runs fine!
I know they do this to some degree but the whole driveway is filled with smoke that lingers for some time. Anyone else have the same or some advice?
Not done 1000miles yet, perhaps this is part of run in?
TIA
It's a function of the boxer configuration engine. Some oil will lay in the cylinders after shutdown (since they are horizontal), and will then seep past the oil scraper ring when cold, and into the combustion chamber. All our 911s have done this to some degree.

If it only happens during a cold start, no worries. It's just a little embarrassing (to be honest).

If the oil smoke continues to come out during cold running, then you may have a whole other issue.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:37 PM
turbo'S'
Intermediate

My pipes are black soot which I think is normal.
I will have a word with Porsche as it does seem excessive.
My 996tt did a puff of smoke on start up but this is something the Environmental Agency would have something to say about!!!
Thanks for the info.
Cheers
Old 04-25-2007, 06:33 PM
bobjebb
6th Gear

I'd be interested to hear what dealers say about the sooty pipes, too. Picking my 997tt up on Friday and from the pics I have seen, there is clearly deposits on them, I'll see what answe I get on collection.

Quick Reply: Thick Smoke