Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Do I "need" PCCB's on my RS?....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:45 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do I "need" PCCB's on my RS?....

it is unlikely that this car will see competitive racing, but rather open track type of work. I figure if the brakes are not up to snuff forthat type of duty that I would ultimately ugrade to Cup car rotors and calipers.

Thoughts?
Old 12-03-2006, 10:14 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
it is unlikely that this car will see competitive racing, but rather open track type of work. I figure if the brakes are not up to snuff forthat type of duty that I would ultimately ugrade to Cup car rotors and calipers.

Thoughts?
One doesn't "need" PCCBs. However, they do have better bite and stopping power and being lighter less unsprung weight improves handling at the margin.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:34 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some like them and some don't, I would keep my money for something else as they are not cheap to replace. Unlike people say, I don't think PCCBs are not a hot selling point for future resale value.

In any case I might and could be wrong, this is just my opinion!!
Old 12-03-2006, 10:41 AM
gt3cup98
Racer

Get them, they are worth the money. If you track the car, they last much longer and work much better.
Boyd
Old 12-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have had them on two cars now, my 04 GT3 and 04 Stradale.

Performance - Better
Visual - Better
Brake Dust - Virtually none

Plus if your **** like me, when you wash your car you do not have to drive it down the road and dry the rotors off to prevent rust. Big plus here in the NE when the weather starts to turn bad and your itching to take and quick ride but concerned for any salt/dirt deposits.

Drive it, wash it, park it......

I would not go back to Steel, ever
Old 12-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by BobbyC
One doesn't "need" PCCBs. However, they do have better bite and stopping power and being lighter less unsprung weight improves handling at the margin.
Correction, the PCCBs do NOT have better bite and stopping power than the best metal rotors. The only benefit is a saving in unsprung weight and a load taken out of your wallet.

R+C
Old 12-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt3cup98
Get them, they are worth the money. If you track the car, they last much longer and work much better.
Boyd
'Track the car' usually means driving the car a bit. The most rudimentary examination of the facts will reveal that PCCBs are vastely more expensive to run and their only performance benefit is in a reduction in unspring weight.

R+C
Old 12-03-2006, 12:25 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Value (and expensive to run) is so subjective.

I've gone back and forth on this issue many times, and to me they are one of the better options. I think they are great and will not buy another P car without them.

There is no one correct or absolute answer; drive a car with and without them and then make up your own mind regarding the value proposition.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the replacement cost of PCCB's? I'm hearing 15k. Is this for front only & what does this include, just rotors?

What is the general life expectancy of the pads & rotor's?
Old 12-03-2006, 03:18 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If I was to buy another Porsche, it would have PCCB. However, I would get a set of metal rotors for track days. For autocross, street driving and Time Trials (2-3 track laps at 9th/10th), PCCB are ok. I use both PCCB and metal rotors on my car. The PCCB feel stiffer and easier to modulate. You can get the same feeling with stainless steel brake lines and metal rotors.

PCCB rotors don't offer better braking performance than metal rotors. There is a huge misunderstanding on this matter. Basically, if you can lock the 4 wheels during a hard braking application, you have reached the tires grip limit. The GT3 braking limitation is on the tires and not the brakes, on my car I can feel the ABS working at the four wheels on a hard braking application, whether I'm running PCCB or Metal rotors, whether I'm running street tires, R-Comp DOT tires or Soft Racing Slicks.

The other typical PCCB vs. metal discussion is fade resistance. Fade resistance can be controlled with better cooling, and better driving. The last time I overheated my brakes was two years ago, I try not to use them in excess.

The real performance advantage on PCCB is reduction on unsprung rotating weight. It's like installing a LWFW. The PCCB rear rotor on the the 996 is 7.5 lbs lighter and the front one is 13.5 lbs lighter. Removing 15 lbs of rotating weight from the rear helps acceleration at low speeds. The 42 lbs lighter car will accelerate and brake quicker, and turn faster.
For the 997, the PCCB saves 37 lbs and not 42 lbs, because the new front PCCB rotors are bigger (380mm).
Old 12-03-2006, 03:28 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want them get them. Some da the rotors will need replaced and will cost a lot of money. You know that. Depending on how long you keep the car and how you drive the replacemnt will be someone elses problem. I have 41,000 on mine and the rears are like new. The fronts have been replaced at 30,000 and 50% are track miles
Old 12-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The real performance advantage on PCCB is reduction on unsprung rotating weight. It's like installing a LWFW. The PCCB rear rotor on the the 996 is 7.5 lbs lighter and the front one is 13.5 lbs lighter. Removing 15 lbs of rotating weight from the rear helps acceleration at low speeds. The 42 lbs lighter car will accelerate and brake quicker, and turn faster.
For the 997, the PCCB saves 37 lbs and not 42 lbs, because the new front PCCB rotors are bigger (380mm).
Great info. Thanks
Old 12-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
if you want them get them. Some da the rotors will need replaced and will cost a lot of money. You know that. Depending on how long you keep the car and how you drive the replacemnt will be someone elses problem. I have 41,000 on mine and the rears are like new. The fronts have been replaced at 30,000 and 50% are track miles
What was the replacement cost?
Old 12-03-2006, 04:00 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$2100. I have a great dealer that went to bat for me with PCNA
Old 12-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
$2100. I have a great dealer that went to bat for me with PCNA
Oh, I remember that story. Good for you.

Quick Reply: Do I "need" PCCB's on my RS?....