Sponsored by:

Hot stuff

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 04:49 PM
kpr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot stuff

What is the temperature range for oil. I have a thermometer/dipstick that measures oil temperature, but it doesn't do much good unless i know the range if you could answer the following it would be appreciated. I have done a lot of searching but there is not much out there when it comes to specifics. I have already combed through the registry archives.

1) normal operating termperature?

2) too hot?

3) pull over and check your wallet.

I don't trust my dash oil temperature gauge - it's more like a timer - the longer i run the car, regardless of type or style of driving, the higher the needle moves - yet the dipstick gauge does not show the same variation. this is not a critical issue per se - but I would like to know for reference.

also, I did some cross-hatching on the dipstick so i could tell what the correct oil level is - it has worked very well.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:10 AM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you want the oil to get hot enough to boil off any water - say 210-220. Anything hotter than 240 or so, and your oil starts to break down, which is where it starts loosing the ability to lubricate. Of course, this all depends on what type of oil you are using....
Old 11-18-2003, 12:12 PM
kpr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Steve. I am constantly monitoring the temp guage as i drive various distances, in various temperatures. It's a learning experience. With my older SL the guage stays pegged at about 85 celsius - as is the nrom with just about all MBs. With an older porsche I am a bit more careful with the limitations due to engine design, placement and age.

Quick Reply: Hot stuff