Sponsored by:

1965 356 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 08:58 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

kpr......Harry is correct on the odo reset. Just under the dash, there will be a small **** to turn it back to "O".
Hazard lights? Sorry, no such thing.
I've heard some rumors that 356 Talk will be revamping to a Rennlist style forum. It would be very welcomed in this house. 150+ emails everyday is not the fun way to do a discussion forum. But if you need some real tech advice, 356 talk is extremely valuable.

This weekend the Texas "Tub Club" is coming to Hot Springs for their Fall Festival. Looks like about 25 356s will be here! The trees are turning some incredible colors just in time for the run we have planned and BBQ on the lake at our house Saturday.

Keep The Faith!
Old 10-28-2003, 10:23 AM
kpr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yahoo! Found the odometer reset **** - way under the dash. Thank you very much.

Thanks. I checked and there are no hazard lights listed on the manual. will have to rig something up or carry a flasher. never know when it may come in handy.

Have fun at your fall festival. Hopefully it will feel like fall here sometime soon. Still 85 and humid.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:54 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Thats crazy, list the car one day, interest the next, and sold the next! wow! congradulations to both. One day I'll take on a 356 project.
~Eyal
Old 10-30-2003, 05:11 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

kpr.. although not emergency lights, you might be interested in one of these lil buggers.

http://www.thirdbrakelight.com/
not permanent, easy to put in and take out, and very visable to anyone behind you.

Robert, your tub club needs to meet up with us in spring, when we have our annual south east region 912 meet. it will most likely be in georgia, or tenn. next year. YOU GOTTA BRING THE TUBS MAN!
(there isnt a mid west, so im in the se by default.. but im workin on making a mw region too )

if interested, check out the 912bbs se board, and talk to steve d. the se regional coordinator.

http://bbs912.org/cgi-bin/se912.pl
Old 11-02-2003, 11:31 PM
sezme
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hoffman!

Can you send me the "stealie" with the Porsche crest in it? I'm a hudge "head" and would love to have it for my files!

sezme@aol.com

Stu
Old 11-06-2003, 07:53 PM
Jump2xs
Intermediate

Just in case the previous explanation didn't fully explain, The odo is reset by reaching underneath and behind the actual gauge..it may be a brass or an aluminum knurled ****, on a short shaft exiting the rear housing of the gauge. It can't be seen from the drivers or passenger seat--only felt--very awkward to do on the fly.

There is no hazard light switch on a 356.

Welcome to 356 ownership. A good one is real joy. About half as complex as a 911 and just as much fun--in a different way.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:30 AM
kpr
Intermediate

I agree. It is differentr and a lot of fun, Especially in second and third. I am very impressed by how it pulls strongly all the way to about 4500-5000 rpm. Not head snapping , but for 80hp - it is a nice feeling. Greg D. , the previous owner, has kept it in very good mechanical condition. I am still trying to get used to the exhaust note to figure out if everything sounds ok.

I would describe my early experience like this: It feels like putting on a great pair of old boots. It's worn in but not worn out.

Thanks for the repsonses. I will be doing the first DIY stuff in the next couple of weeks. Gred D. has agreed to come over to show me the basics. That is truly going beyond the extra mile in my book. But, as he will attest, it will probably be as much fun for him to play with his baby as it wil be for me to get a good idea on the basic maintenance.

I have been accumulating a stockpile of parts, grease, oils etc. just for the occasion. Maybe I should get a cake too!

Interesting thing happened the otehr evening. I needed a reason to take the car out and was promptly dispatched by the boss to the grocery store for some milk.

I pulled out of the driveway, very dark outside. About five minutes into the drive I see a the telltale headlights of an 80s 911 in my rear view mirror. When we turned from my single lane street onto a two lane road, I accelerated sharply. I thought it would give the other guy a chuckle to see an old tub with guts.

He followed me for about three miles into the parking lot of the grocery store. He pulled up next to me and we started talking. He has a fully restored speedster in his garage - spent six figures restoring it. I told him that I doubted that I would ever paint the tub because then I would be scared to drive it anywhere and park it. He sadly concurred. Apparently he is in the position I don't want to be in. I want to look at it and drive it wherever and whenever. So, the next time you see a fellow tub driver tooling around in a not so concours looking set of wheels, please know he enjoys it just as much, or more than the guy with one on a trailer.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:36 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

"I am still trying to get used to the exhaust note to figure out if everything sounds ok. "

LOL!! at our first 912 gathering, we were all amazed, and kept saying somthing to the effect, 'hey, they all really do sound like that, dont they!?'
Old 11-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

There was an After market kit for hazzard lights on the 6V cars that was sold in germany and europe. I have one of the orignal Kits.
you can some times find them on E-Bay

Congrads.

Oh - 1 of my cars is a road car the other is a becoming a Carrera Panamamericana Race car (a pushrod GT clone built to 1963 FIA Specs) - no plans to sell sorry.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:50 AM
kpr
Intermediate

thanks, I'll keep an eye (or two) out for a kit

Quick Reply: 1965 356 for sale