Sponsored by:

Gemünd coupes from the '40s

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 03:17 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gemünd coupes from the '40s

Does anyone know if any of the original 52 Gemünd coupes from the 1940s ever made their way to the U.S., and if so what happened to them (and is it possible to see one someplace without going to Zuffenhausen)?

Thanks in advance for a reply.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:00 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

North Carolina Museum of Art displayed one during the Seducing Speed Exhibit.

http://ncartmuseum.org/exhibition/po...seducing-speed
Old 04-04-2014, 04:08 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
North Carolina Museum of Art displayed one during the Seducing Speed Exhibit.

http://ncartmuseum.org/exhibition/po...seducing-speed
Thanks! "Displayed" has a E D at the end of it. 'Sounds like it was a temporary (and now past-tense) exhibit, raising the question, was it shipped over from Germany or did they get it from America???
Old 04-04-2014, 11:40 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Try The Revs Institute in Naples, FL; houses the Collier Collection which contains a 1949 G-coupe (currently out of facility receiving treatment) --- revsinstitute.org
Old 04-05-2014, 03:14 AM
jivemutha
Advanced

Originally Posted by linen grey ghost
Try The Revs Institute in Naples, FL; houses the Collier Collection which contains a 1949 G-coupe (currently out of facility receiving treatment) --- revsinstitute.org
Hm. I could hardly be much further from there (Portland OR). Maybe some day, as I know folks in FL (though not Naples). Thanks for the info.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:58 AM
P356GT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you get a interior picture taken inside Gmünd wagen in the beginning of the 1990 @ Otto Mathes Werkstatt.
I payed him a visit a couple of times.
Then it was unrestored running Gmünd coupes and not over renovated as many are today with barely any orginal Aluminium left on them......... I prefer the patina from a looong healty racing/running life as it was build to do.
/ Per
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2014, 02:06 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Thanks for the RARE photo! 'Good you thought to take it at the time.

I note it's right-hand drive. Is this the same guy who had one arm and continued to race one of the 3 first Porsches (a 1939 model 60K10) after WWII? I ask because that Otto Mathe had the car switched to right hand drive so he could still drive without one arm. The other two 60K10 cars were destroyed. I'e never been to Deutchland but with all their money I have to guess that the company has found a way to buy back the one remaining 60K10 and that it now sits in the Porsche Museum.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 PM
P356GT
Instructor

Yepp, that is Otto, he still had is two arms just one was not usable.....but he manage to kickass anyway towards Porsche team and others. He was really an intressting guy with such a knowledge of engineering.
If you thinking of the k64 shell @ stuttgart museum it is just a replica of real one.
Otto hade one that survied and he also got the spares from the other one "the Yanks" cut open........
Mueseum Protottyp, Hamburg have spend alot of time and money to show Ottos designs etc.
They even build a new K64 with some of the old parts from the crashed K64...., If I recall right it was Piech that tipped of the Prototyp guy to check into their inventory of parts and cars.
Enclosed the "new" K64 taken at a race in Hamburg August 2013
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2014, 01:26 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Terrific! The old black & white photos in the books don't hold a candle to your shot!!!!! And thanks for refreshing my memory about Otto's 2nd arm. I recall now that what you said is indeed what I've read.

So it sounds like the Porsche museum has a K64 (aka 60K10--I've read these monikers are synonyms) that's a repro of the original. Given P's attention to detail, I bet it's pretty close to a precise original.

You mention Hamburg, so I'm a little confused. Is the great car in the photo the same as the one reproduced and normally on display in the Porsche museum? Thanks again for the rare and terrific photo. Methinks this car is indeed the seed for pretty all subsequent Porsche sports cars!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:52 PM
P356GT
Instructor

http://www.prototyp-hamburg.de/

The museum is run by two young guys Oliver and Thomas and strive to get the best of all Porsche and other brands to fit their active displays.
They have ofcourse good contact with all the major players in museums.
So the black one is a newbuilt of old parts that they had in their own backyard.

If you get to Europe, I do recommend a visit....just check up if there is a specific car you like to see.

And the guys drive the displayed cars when time permits.
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2014, 03:00 PM
mickster
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jivemutha
Thanks! "Displayed" has a E D at the end of it. 'Sounds like it was a temporary (and now past-tense) exhibit, raising the question, was it shipped over from Germany or did they get it from America???
I made this from my visit:

Old 04-06-2014, 05:47 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Mickster--thank you for the great shot of what appears to be a true 1940s Gemünd coupe (as opposed to an early 1950s pre-A 356). I just checked the museum website and phooey--the exhibit just ended in February of this year. Do you know where this car has returned to?
Old 04-06-2014, 06:01 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

P356GT--First thanks also for the newly added rear shot of the recreation of the 1939 design!

I tried clicking on the website address you were kind enough to include but alas it would not come up. Let's see if I have it right . . .

One reproduction of the type 64 (60K10) is at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, while a separate car, also reproduced from odd partly-original parts, exists in the Hamburg museum of which you speak. Even if I'm right about both cars, it still doesn't answer the question, what happened to the one original car that supposedly was never destroyed--Otto Mathe's type 64. Do you know what became of it? Thanks in advance for a reply.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:13 PM
mickster
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jivemutha
Mickster--thank you for the great shot of what appears to be a true 1940s Gemünd coupe (as opposed to an early 1950s pre-A 356). I just checked the museum website and phooey--the exhibit just ended in February of this year. Do you know where this car has returned to?
The Exhibit ended in February. I went twice--engines open the first time, then the last day with my wife and son.

This was a 49. It's part of the Ingram Collection in Raleigh, NC.

Former CEO of GSK, Bob Ingram owns it. His son and he became enamored in 1998. Now his son is a restorer in Raleigh-whole family got involved.

Not sure how you get access but they have had private functions there.

http://www.blouinartinfo.com/news/st...ly-infatuation

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ollection.html
Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 AM
P356GT
Instructor

Hmm, I just tried the lnk to Prototyp and it worked for me.....if you get a black K64 picture from the side click on screen again to enter :-)

Ottos car is and I belive still with the same owner in area Stuttgart....I donot remember the name right now.
A picture from the K64 that you mean when it was getting some TLC after Otto passed away.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Gemünd coupes from the '40s