Sponsored by:

Starter

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 12:53 PM
mjkoss
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter

I am a newbie on my 356...I am having trouble starting the car...thought it was the battery..now brand new...still a problem...it does not seem to want to start...when you turn the key it sounds like it is running our of electrical power and then catches.....so I am now assuming that it is a "starter motor" (do these things have starter motors?) or the alternator ( 1961?? I assume they had them)
please let me know your best guess for me to start looking for parts
thanks'
mk
Old 07-25-2003, 01:06 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi mk....

If you know your battery is brand new, and holding a charge - you might want to check that the ground straps are in good condition, and that the wiring into the starter itself isn't corroded. On my previous '65 911 - I ran into a similiar problem, and had to clean all the contact points and grounds...

HTH..!!!
Old 07-25-2003, 01:09 PM
mjkoss
4th Gear

Thanks a million..great advice!
mk
Old 07-26-2003, 07:30 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

nope they had a generator, not an alternator. besides that wouldnt effect it if you have new battery with good charge. the car should run if it has a bad generator, but will die when the battery dies though.
is the starter turning at all? clicking (will turn for a sec and stop with a clicking noise, or just clicks)? just not firing?

as john suggested, check the connections and grounds. what does the starter sound like/whats it doing? that can give you hinta of whats wrong. also if all else fails, you might want to see whats goin on in the dizy. getting ready from my trip, i ran into issues trying to retime the 912, and had it so boogered that the starter wasnt doing anything and acted like it didnt have enough juice. (just throwing out other ideas before you go buy a new starter).

where are you from MK?
Old 07-26-2003, 09:00 AM
mjkoss
4th Gear

Default thanks

thanks I think that the car is looking for a ground...it goes GRRRRRR REAHR REHR RE.....herrr................rer................click...sounds like slow motion...the car is in wisconsin..i suspect a bad starter or fouled connections
thanks
mk
Old 07-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

If the battery connections are good and the transmission grounding strap as well, it's most likely your starter bushing ! A pain to do, but cheap !

Join the 356 registry email list - rennlist is great for most porsches but the 356 action is definitely on 356talk ! www.356registry.org, subscribe there.

Quick Reply: Starter