Sponsored by:

Gas smell, no start problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:04 AM
BPG_Austin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas smell, no start problem

coworker has a nice '61 coupe. Sits overnight and will crank in the morning but no start. Wait half an hour and she fires over just fine. There is a strong gas smell before/after use and he shuts the fuel off via the in cabin petcock when not in use.
What we know:
-No gas leaking from carbs or around carbs.
-Fuel lines have been replaced inside engine compartment. Fuel pump is new and does not leak. Fuel lines underneath the car have not been done recently far as I know. Gas tank does not leak and there is no noticeable fuel leaking anywhere.. no puddles or weaping that we can visually see. Car hasn't been on a lift though.

I'm guessing no-start in the morning is because of a pinhole in the fuel line somewhere that bleeds any vacuum off overnight. After the innitial crank and wait period the vac builds up enough to pull fuel back into the carbs.
Thoughts on what lines/fittings or anything else should be checked next? The strong gas odor is troublesome.. Thanks listers.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:22 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I generally wouldn't have a problem starting with just sitting overnight, but after a few days of sitting it might take a bit of turning the engine to get fuel to the back. But many have an auxialary electric fuel pump installed up front (mine is in the "smugglers box" (under the passenger floorboard), run it in the fuel line between the fuel **** and the tunnel line, turn on only when needed, and that will quickly prime fuel to the carbs.

For the gas smell, I had problems with a lot of fuel smell in the cabin. It turned out the gasket in the fuel tank cap with alllowing a little gas or fumes out. I don't like the cork gaskets - don't last long. I use the blue rubber gasket now (possibly available at NLA) and have not had those problems again.

Other than that, can't help.

Quick Reply: Gas smell, no start problem