Sponsored by:

Notchback Value/Desirability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:18 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Notchback Value/Desirability?

I'm wondering about the value and desirability of '62 notchbacks. Is there a following out there and are they priced similarly to Bs? I've located a nice driver/older restoration. I kind of like the notchbacks. It has had a color change (was blue - now black/red) and was never rusty. I'm not too sure about how nice the door gaps are though and need more pics from the seller. Otherwise it is shiny and very pretty. I'm told that the car has low miles and the engine hasn't been apart!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:10 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you may have found a good one.

The value and desirability of the NB has been on the rise in more recent years.

On the plus side the NB's have low production #'s on their side. Somewhere in the mid 700's I believe. That is a very low # for a production classic and has been putting pressure on thier pricing. They have gone up in price in this WW recession, while the car market in general has crashed. Plus some people even prefer the styling.

Only tarnish is they've always kind of been known as the "ugly duckings" of the 356 line. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

On pricing, I think they may have gone up past a B coupe! They are def becoming prized. Partially because of their unique looks.

So if you like the NB's it's really a win-win. Being a no rust car is also HUGE IMO. Personally I put big value on original sheet metal. You can only have that once.

And low miles? And original, unmolested motor? Sounds like a car worth checking into. If it's in the SF bay area I could look at it for you. If not maybe put the word out and ask for a Rennfax from a member near the car's location.

You know they were built from left over cab chassis, right? With a hardtop welded on?

GL

Phil
Old 04-01-2011, 12:42 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Phil. I think I should at least take a look at it. The car is up north here but not close to me. My friend looked at the pics and called it an ugly duckling. I have to disagree.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:52 AM
guydawger
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.. they are definitely pretty ugly compared to all the other 356s... but they have an appeal for sure..I don't know what it is...oh yeah I do, its a vintage Porsche! I almost bought one from some scumbag dealer in Denver a few years back..told me what a nice dry car it was and I wasted a flight to Denver and back looking at a rusted turd. Good luck and remember this.. Beauty is always in the eye of the one gawking with admiration, but a man in love is no good judge of beauty!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Paul Morgan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
You know they were built from left over cab chassis, right? With a hardtop welded on?
That was true for '61...not so for the '62's.

http://notchbacks.org/

Quick Reply: Notchback Value/Desirability?