Can Someone Help With Paint Code

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts
Default Can Someone Help With Paint Code

I was wondering if one of you might be able to assist with figuring out the paint code for the following car:

http://www.carreramotorsport.com/195...6A%20Coupe.htm

I know it's Aquamrine Blue and I know it was offered between 1957 - 1959 but several codes were called out for the same color and I want to make sure I get it right.

Can anyone assist?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice color, very similar to the "minerva blue" of the mid/late 80s 911.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Is this site any help?

http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/PaintChart.htm
Old 01-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Carlo that is helpful, thank you!

It confirms what I've found on the web. I just need to confirm with Porsche that this is enough info for a paint to sample.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a bit of a complicated issue & it isn't clear to me (I'm dense) what you are after... "I'd like what someone tells me matches an old 356 paint code #"
or "Please paint my car so it appears like this." ?

For the $40 or so, I'd order a chart from Willhoit & stare at it under varying conditions for a few weeks, then if satisfied that's exactly what I wanted, I'd send that sample to the painter (even Hans at the factory) & tell him nicely, "this is what I want my car's paint job to look like."

For me, this approach minimizes many (but not all!) possible deviations from my intent. good luck!

ps: here's a current discussion on the Reg that sheds some light...
http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1/25425.html

Last edited by ked; 01-18-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ked thank you for the reply.

The purpose of getting the paint code is so I can have a Spyder painted in this color. It may not matter now since I've been told that paint to sample won't be available but just in case that changes I want to be ready.

I've seen the color in person on two different restored 356's and it's beautiful. Problem is that I'm not sure which paint code is the right one since the Aquamarine changed partway through production.

My thought is that if I give Porsche the paint code and ask them to send me samples I should be able to find the right color.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:01 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

ked is right and to elaborate, the older paint codes typically aren't useful because paint formulas have changed so much over the years. Now I realize that Porsche ought to have archives so they could match the paint so maybe I am wrong. But I do agree that ordering a paint sprayout card from Willhoit gets the color in your hands and gives you time to look at it in different lights. And if you do like it, it is probably easier for Porsche to match paint to that card than to try and recreate an older color. (I have several Willhoit cards as prep for my eventual repainting of my 356.)

Also, I have a very vague recollection that someone recently (last couple years) may have done a paint to sample in Aquamarine Blue, so you might try searching this site and maybe others.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 PM
JackW
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the aquamarine blue metallic that was used on the 1956 cars - the 1957 (enamel) aquamarine is much lighter. My 1956 sunroof coupe was originally that color but had been repainted with a light blue metallic. When I started trying to match the darker blue metallic paint I found under the door panels it drove me crazy for a while because non of the aquamarine blue cars I saw were even close to the traces of old paint I was finding on my car. From all of the research I did I found that 1956 was a transition year for the paint factory as they went from lacquer to enamels and there are some strange discrepancies on the color charts for the 1956 cars.That car exactly matches what I was finding in the unretouched areas of my 1956 coupe #56724. I saw this car at a 356 Registry meet in Chattanooga about ten years ago and it was beautiful - and an exact match for the original color of my 1956 coupe.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:34 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a look at a thread on the Registry that looks at 356's in their original colors. Both Aquamarine Blue Metallic and the Aquamarine Blue (enamel) are there. Personally, I like the enamel better. But there are lots of fabulous color combinations.

http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/4/73.html

Quick Reply: Can Someone Help With Paint Code