Sponsored by:

Chrome Wheel Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Wheel Questions

I'm looking at a 356C that has a set of chrome wheels on it. I think the seller wants to keep them. I like the look of the chrome and would like to get some for the car if I do get it.

Isn't there some issue with chromed wheels becoming "brittle" or something like that? Where would you go to get them? What sort of money am I looking at to get them?

Any/all recommendations and opinions are appreciated.

Much Thanks -
Old 12-21-2010, 01:45 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't think there is an issue with steel 356 wheels becoming brittle if they are chromed (maybe chrome over modern alloys though). Here's a good source: http://www.nlaparts.com/store/356c-3...c-113_219.html

I'm not positive the "budget" wheels they show will fit a C - similar wheels were made in Brazil for non-disk brake cars (I have them), then stopped, and not sure if NLA has now sourced these in Brazil or elsewhere.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:05 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eddie,
first, I wouldn't let wheels get in the way of grabbing a good C. in fact, the owner wanting to keep the chromies sounds like an opportunity to negotiate a great deal (are the chromes listed on the CoA?).
second, I wouldn't rush out to buy chromes. I would get a set of steelies (maybe off a 912) that will work fine (they can clean up real well & a can of Wurth is a cost-effective resto) & could even be chromed at some future date. I wouldn't worry about chrome embrittlement on these heavy old steel wheels (worry more about true, round & rust).
third, if I REALLY wanted a date-matched set of 356 chromes, I'd take my time & wait till the right set (& deal!) found me.
fourth, hope the C deal closes - what a Christmas present!

lotsa support for atlanta 356 owners at SOG...
http://web.mac.com/mbranning/356_SOG/News/News.html
Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 PM
JackW
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Stockton Wheels in California will chrome steel wheels for around $205 each - I just sent my old chrome wheels off to them to have them re-chromed.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:21 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Outstanding! Thanks so much for all the good advice.

All the best -
Old 12-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Chrome is nice. But painted silver with chrome hubcaps looks fantastic, in my opinion.

If your car came with chrome rims originally, that's what I would use too. But most did not.

I would get some originals, not modern reproductions. They are cheap and easy to find.

Quick Reply: Chrome Wheel Questions