'62 356b "Karmann Notchback"

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:22 PM
sentipede
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '62 356b "Karmann Notchback"

Hello,
I am beginning to test the waters for my search for a 356 coupe. I have been gravitating towards the 356a but recently ran across a Karmann Notchback which got me thinking. For some reason I like the idea of the car and its rarity even though it is a little less desirable. I saw this one recently sell on Ebay and have been kicking myself for not going after it. Was this a good deal? I kind of like

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220541262533

Any thoughts on the whole notchback model? Any general advice as to where to locate a nice driver car on a somewhat restricted budget?

I also really like the whole Outlaw look, even though the purists may stone me...

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:53 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dig the notch

I have always liked the notch. I believe the official term is hardtop but don't quote me. They are finally catching on. The T6 twin grill is the least made notch.
The cars are convertibles with a hardtop welded to the body. Many have had their tops removed which in my mind was not right, what do I know.....

Was it a good deal? Who knows but unless one goes over them with an expert in case you are not, is always wise. By the way, the door gap on the passenger side looks like crap unless it was the camera.

I too am on the light prowl for a notch and like a bone head I have passed on far to many over the years. Should have pulled the trigger on several.

Hang out on the 356 Registry as it is always a topic of interest. I find the style to be very European.........what ever that means. Get the books. Dr. Brett Johnson writes on these and I find the articles to be very interesting.

I also want to build an outlaw. To many cars, to little time.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:15 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Nothing at all wrong with a Notchback, some think that they are an ugly duckling but I don't mind that look at all. Take note they are not as valuable (as you have already found) for whatever reason even though relatively low production #'s. I say buy what you like, cal44 had a good suggestion for the registry but also go to some events and see for yourself. Ebay cars are rarely a "deal."
Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

The notch back cars are the best looking of the series (in my opinion). Be different and look for one...
Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(IMO) the notch is not as sought-after as the std coupes because the roofline is a significant deviation from the 356 as-Ferry-intended (& Komenda styled). so, though fewer numbers were built, the survivors are evidently more than adequete to meet demand in comparison to the std shape. there was an extensive article about notches in a 356 registry magazine a few yrs ago.

if I were looking for my first 356, & on "a somewhat restricted budget" (as are most of us), I would get involved in the Registry to familiarize myself w/ numerous examples & their owners. I'd review the literature on 356s. I'd ride in & drive as many as I could - it is amazing how distinct individual cars are from one another... & the norm. I would want to become so familiar w/ the cars that I could fully appreciate the implications of a PPI report from an expert. patience searching is a virtue... almost every 356 remaining will come onto the market someday.

on a budget (but excluding "projects"), I'd focus on T5 & T6 coupes (inc the notch), even w/ the N motor (esp the C, since that is pretty much the S motor from the B) in solid physical shape (meaning little if any rust, but lack of perfect paint or not being a favorite color not being a stopper) & solid mechanical shape (meaning no system-overhauls outstanding or expected for some yrs). knowing the vehicle history is a plus (accidents, service, driving conditions).
good luck!!

Quick Reply: '62 356b "Karmann Notchback"