Sponsored by:

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:12 PM
hudsonc8
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help

Some I am new to this forum. I hope I do not offend, or upset anyone. I am looking to purchase a Porsche 356 Speedster replica on ebay. Link below:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item25582b2301

I am concerned it might be a POS?!? I have talked to the seller and it is not a 10.
Crack on windshield.
Paint is 6 or 7
Wheels are not the most attractive (personal opinion).

Engine, trans, interior, brakes, wheels, body are supposed to be in great shape.

Please provide advice to a rookie in the field and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:45 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no reason for anyone to get upset, it's your $.
a good number of 356 enthusiasts consider ALL speedster replicas to be a pos.

I would check the kit car forums where there are likely to be numerous builder / owners to survey. regardless, education & expertise is what you need. no doubt, some manufacturers are better than others, some kits hold value better than others, some are constructed better than others, some components are better than others... & appearances (& conversations, & the written word) can be deceiving. I'd have an expert (in speedster kits) inspect (& test drive) the specific example you are contemplating bidding upon & provide a comprehensive report. don't be in a hurry... there are many out there, of great variety, always for sale, & they continue to be produced. {I would drive a real one, so I had a feel for "owning the looks" vs "experiencing the driving" trade-off}

btw, it might be possible to find a REAL 356 for around or not much more than some kits cost. I did.
good luck.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:17 PM
blitz928
Race Car

It's a CMC, I had one. Mine was not a widebody. I would pass one this one if I were you. Go to this website if you want to find nice replicas reasonably priced. Be patient. Lots of good deals in this economy.

www.speedsterowners.com
Old 01-10-2010, 02:44 PM
hudsonc8
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to both of you for your input. Matt P. Did you have issues/problems with you CMC?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:17 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Originally Posted by hudsonc8
Thanks to both of you for your input. Matt P. Did you have issues/problems with you CMC?
No actually I did not, but I have had experience driving a Vintage speedster and also a real '58 speedster. The CMC is usually a kit and built by an individual, the quality is not as good as the Turn-key cars that are built by professionals. Vintage Speedsters and Intemeccanica(sp?) Come to mind and Chesil in England build quality replicas. I was entertaining another replica speedster again, because they are good fun and cost nothing to maintain. If I were in the Market I'd look for a Vintage speedster built car.
You have to be patient and try to find a steal, since these are toys and the economy in the toilet you should be able to find a real nice car in the $10-$15k range. If you're looking for something cheaper a CMC is fine, but I'd really have it checked out from top to bottom before purchasing, make sure it's built right and has good paint/gelcoat. Make sure the motor is good and has twin carbs. Stay away from the widebody cars becasue they are Ghey.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:56 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd check out a non-kit replica like this one, if I were so inclined...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/porsc...item2304c81b28
Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 AM
blitz928
Race Car

Originally Posted by ked
I'd check out a non-kit replica like this one, if I were so inclined...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/porsc...item2304c81b28
Intermeccanicca is pretty much the best turnkey replica available in North America, but that's pretty big money for an older somewhat rough example. My neighbor paid about $15k for his of the same age and less miles last year, and a freshened 1776. You really have to be patient with these cars, to find a deal. He got his from an individual off the website I recommended to him, www.speedsterowners.com

Quick Reply: Please Help