Sponsored by:

These cars make me smile

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:49 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts
Default These cars make me smile

Every time I see one of these, I smile. Just neat old cars.

I used to idolize my best friend's brother growing up, he was into Porsches. Started off driving his dad's 914 (parents were divorced, dad lived out of state, every great once in awhile their dad would let Pat take the 914 for the weekend.) Eventually his dad sold the 914 for a Carrera cab, and I drooled over that whenever I could. Then he eventually got his own Porsche - a '65 356 C coupe (I'm fairly certain I remember it correctly.)

Based on how much I idolized Pat back then, his 356 was the coolest car ever. Every time I see one now, it instantly reminds me of being ~10 years old again.

After seeing quite a few restorations going on in here, I'm starting to think about maybe looking for one in the next few years. I've got a 5 y/o now... perhaps if I started on something soon, it'd be ready for him by the time he turned 16 and started driving. That or maybe find a Speedster kit... though I'm not sure if those "count" plus a kit just wouldn't be the same in my mind as the authentic real deal. Hmmmm.

Anyways, don't really mind me. I'm usually over in the 944 forums... just poking about here looking at some classics If anybody knows if a Pat White, originally from the NW Chicago suburbs, hangs out on here with a cream white 356 coupe - tell him I said "hello" (and tell his sister Sarah I said hello too!)
Old 10-06-2009, 08:33 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I like'm as well but since my plate is full I have to live vicariously through my brother guydawger.
Hold out for a real one.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:58 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

I drove a decent '63 B coupe today, and probably had a stupid grin on my face the whole time. Bali blue over tan, restored.

The drum brakes are -- well, drum brakes. But gearbox and engine sound like racing hardware, the steering is light and there's nothing cooler than watching those old chrome-ringed gauges and looking over the curvy fenders.

Hard to go wrong with a straight and solid 356, and the B coupes are bargains.

Quick Reply: These cars make me smile