Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat belts, Speedsters, death, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:52 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Seat belts, Speedsters, death, etc.

I'm considering a 356A Speedster as a next weekend/fun car, and it would be far and away the oldest car I have owned. I will want to do some SCCA events, but more like autocross or club track days, nothing competitive.

While I'm not going to spend my whole life in a Volvo station wagon, I'm also not keen on being thrown from a 1950s convertible in the event some cell-phone soccer mom in a Ford Valdez does something abrupt.

So, three questions:

1. Have any of you open-topped 356 owners installed seat belts? Have any of you NOT installed them?

2. Is a lap belt more dangerous than nothing?

3. Are there racing type belts made that would fit the Speedster seats? I'm willing to sacrifice some orginality for the safety factor. There seems to be nowhere to attach a 3-point belt.

Thanks - I did a search and nothing came up, so hopefully this isn't a rerun question for the old timers here.

Jon

Last edited by bullfighter; 08-09-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:56 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

The first thing I did with my 60 Coupe was remove the lap belts and install 3-point belts from P.E.P. (http://www.peparts.com/ ) (they work very well). I think I have seen race-type harnesses but never paid much attention to details.

One safety concern is that the steering column is fixed and could be very dangerous in a hard crash, and also putting your head through the windshield. Obviously driving these cars around the soccer mom types requires one to be extra alert.

If you haven't been there, check the 356 Registry website and their forum, tons of info there.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:54 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Good links, thanks for these. I agree, a lap belt in a front seat is a bad idea.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Rico
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

please consider this, without a roll bar or hoop, a 3 or 4 point harness may even be worse in a roll over.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:00 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rico
please consider this, without a roll bar or hoop, a 3 or 4 point harness may even be worse in a roll over.
Are you recommending no belt or just lap belt?

Or a roll bar for daily street use?
Old 08-10-2009, 03:08 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend a "Simpson" type lap belt. They look somewhat period correct, and are very secure. As far as shoulder harnesses go, I wouldn't do it without roll over protection, meaning a roll bar tall enough to not have your head hit the ground while triangulated between the front fender and the roll bar (pretty tall), and there's no way that I would cut up a car as valuable as a speedster to put in an adequate roll bar.

Actually, consult the SCCA rule book regarding shoulder harnesses and roll over protection, I think there's a section in there about it.

As an aside, our '60 coupe will have a harness bar installed, and 4pt. harnesses. Most the time, we will probably just run lap belts.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Rico
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 what Bleu said!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
... Actually, consult the SCCA rule book regarding shoulder harnesses and roll over protection, I think there's a section in there about it.

As an aside, our '60 coupe will have a harness bar installed, and 4pt. harnesses. Most the time, we will probably just run lap belts.
Thanks bleu, I will check there.

Is a "harness bar" different than a roll bar? I don't mind a little extra time buckling in.

I think a coupe would be safer in that your head wouldn't hit the top of the windscreen frame, but even then I'd be a tad worried.

Last edited by bullfighter; 08-10-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:43 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

These are tiny cars. I have found myself addicted since I purchased my second coupe. Speedster windshield frame = your head on a stick if you roll. Ahhhhh but they rarely roll.
Go to websites such as Vic Skirmants, Bruce Baker. Go to the 356 Registry, on the top go to vendors. This is a treasure trove of expertise. Make sure you go to the Coronado Speed Fest next month here in town. There are always 356 race cars at the event.

Take your time, there are always alot of 356 cars for sale. There are many 356 people in San Diego. Just in my area I know of 9 cars.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Originally Posted by cal44
... Take your time, there are always alot of 356 cars for sale. There are many 356 people in San Diego. Just in my area I know of 9 cars.
Coronado is great - yes, I plan to be there again next month.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:59 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bullfighter
I'm considering a 356A Speedster as a next weekend/fun car, and it would be far and away the oldest car I have owned. I will want to do some SCCA events, but more like autocross or club track days, nothing competitive.

While I'm not going to spend my whole life in a Volvo station wagon, I'm also not keen on being thrown from a 1950s convertible in the event some cell-phone soccer mom in a Ford Valdez does something abrupt.

So, three questions:

1. Have any of you open-topped 356 owners installed seat belts? Have any of you NOT installed them?

2. Is a lap belt more dangerous than nothing?

3. Are there racing type belts made that would fit the Speedster seats? I'm willing to sacrifice some orginality for the safety factor. There seems to be nowhere to attach a 3-point belt.

Thanks - I did a search and nothing came up, so hopefully this isn't a rerun question for the old timers here.

Jon
Jon,

You are exposed! So this is what you have your eye on and why the other girl must go!

Good luck!

Paul
Old 08-12-2009, 06:50 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by onboost
Jon,

You are exposed! So this is what you have your eye on and why the other girl must go!

Good luck!

Paul
So, you guys are stalking me. I knew it!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Arena996
Advanced

I made a new top attachment boss to accomodate the shoulder belt attachment along with the top pivot bolt. I will be using retractors mounted down low. I also made a solid mount welded inside the tunnel (actually welded to the tunnel and floorpan) for the inner seat belt mounts. They will have vintage looking chrome buckles to blend in with the age of the car. They are also red to help blend in with the red upholstery.
JIM
Attached Images   
Old 08-14-2009, 01:57 AM
bullfighter
Advanced

Originally Posted by Arena996
I made a new top attachment boss to accomodate the shoulder belt attachment along with the top pivot bolt. I will be using retractors mounted down low. I also made a solid mount welded inside the tunnel (actually welded to the tunnel and floorpan) for the inner seat belt mounts. They will have vintage looking chrome buckles to blend in with the age of the car. They are also red to help blend in with the red upholstery.
JIM
This looks well thought out -- i.e., that's as high as you could possibly mount the should belt attachment in a car without a roll bar.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:49 PM
951 Barry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bullfighter
So, you guys are stalking me. I knew it!
No, we're not. We're just running and searching for you like a river that can't find the sea.

Barry

Quick Reply: Seat belts, Speedsters, death, etc.