Sponsored by:

Speedster metal work complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Arena996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedster metal work complete

Finally got all the metal work completed and the car will be going to Jackson, Miss. to be dipped and electro-coated. This is a process that is similar to galvanizing. It is actually done at the Toyota plant in Jackson. The dipper has a working relationship with the plant to run cars through their E-coating process. The E-coating is a dipped process followed by curing in an oven. They say it is a very durable coating and hard to scratch through to the bare metal. If it is good enough for new Toyotas to prevent rust it should be plenty good for a car that never originally had such luxuries. Lets hope this keeps the car rust free for many years.

Thought some of you would like to see what the outcome of making a car rust free looks like. Shown is a in process photo showing some of the extent taken to repair rust and damage. The other pics are a comparison between finished body and the metal removed (sort of an exploded view). The last pics are of the way I made a new mount bushing for the top to pivot on (almost identical to the original setup) allowing a shoulder belt to share the same space. This car will be driven so concerns with safety were to be addressed so I came up with a way to mount retractable shoulder belts. They are red to help blend in with the red upholstery.
Enjoy,
JIM

Last edited by Arena996; 07-11-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, I really enjoyed the pictures. Thank you very much for posting them here! Hopefully you will be inclined to post more as the project progresses.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:12 AM
96 993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great post. I just love all the parts spread out in your driveway. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Quick Reply: Speedster metal work complete