Sponsored by:

Tail light help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:15 PM
rmally
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light help

In the process of reassembling everything back on the 356 I cannot get the tail lights to work.....I made notes and am "almost" sure I have the connections right but wanted to ask you folks with much more experience.

On the Left side I reattached the ground wire to the metal strap....Is that the only side with a strap? I thought this would be pretty straight forward but for some reason I can't get the tail lights to work.

Also just to confirm, there is only a black and red wire for each tail light correct? And then the one ground?

Does anyone have a diagram.

FYI......The Front works perfect. Also I have Brake lights but no running lights.

Any Ideas.

Thanks,

Randy

Last edited by rmally; 07-31-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: new info.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:12 PM
356-930
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmally
On the Left side I reattached the ground wire to the metal strap....Is that the only side with a strap?
Also just to confirm, there is only a black and red wire for each tail light correct? And then the one ground?
Does anyone have a diagram.
FYI......The Front works perfect. Also I have Brake lights but no running lights.
Any Ideas.
My C has one ground wire in the tail light loom, attaches under one lug of the driver side tail light mounting stud. It serves to take body to ground potential of battery.
One red one black wire is correct, can't remember which is brake/running. Brake/turn signal light should be outside bulb.
Lamp sockets count on crimp to tail light housing for ground. Often get lose, lose ground. Using volt meter, remove lamp, turn on lights, test center post for +6Vdc. If voltage there, ground issue. If no voltage check wires at fuse block. Check bulbs, should be a few ohms resistance.
If you need good wiring diagrams, search 356 Registry site. Someone sells excellent color coded diagrams for most or all 356 models.
Good luck in chasing the circuit out.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:54 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Don't have my wiring book with me, but the vendor mentioned by 356-930 is Joe Leoni at http://www.356electrics.com/ . His books are worth their weight in gold and I wouldn't even consider owning my 356 without one. Also look at his FAQ for a non-working rear light, this fixed a problem I had. http://www.356electrics.com/faq2.htm#wornlight

I also bought Joe's headlight and switch relays, great products, and installed H4 headlights also from Joe - all great stuff I highly recommend.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:34 PM
rmally
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys, I'm still at it chasing down all the wires....

I appreaciate the literature sources as well.

Regards,

Randy
Old 08-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One more vote for Joe's diagrams...

There are a few folks on 356talk (see the Reg website for the forum interface for it) that are in your area, maybe they could let you see how a working car is wired?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:33 PM
theleader
3rd Gear

what did u end up doing with taking it apart in order to know which wiring may have been changed?

Quick Reply: Tail light help