Sponsored by:

New 356 Owner Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:19 PM
MMH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 356 Owner Seeking Advice

Hi guys - I've just acquired my father's 1955 356 cabriolet which he's had since 1979. It's a beautiful car but needs some work. He lives in Massachusetts and I live in the NYC area, which is possibly the worst place to store and use a car. I am looking for some advice on a few questions:

1) How important is a climate controlled garage?
2) Does anyone have any NY or near NY (CT, NJ) recommendations for a loving garage?
3) Does anyone have recommendations for a good local mechanic?

My main wheels are a 2004 TT cab - I'm excited to have kept its grandfather in the family.

Thanks,
Marty
Old 07-20-2008, 11:16 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

First off, congrats on getting the car! It's fantastic to have a car in the family as well, especially one where you know its history for such a long time back.

I think the most important thing is moisture with regards to storage--these cars obviously were built before rustproofing was much of a concept, so keeping moisture away from the car is important. Being in Georgia, we are lucky enough to have virtually no snow/salt on the roads, so we are able to use the cars year round [though in Summer it gets hotter than scheisse so it's a task to drive a coupe in the Summer here!]

I can't help you with recommendations in the NE for any mechanics, but a MUST in my opinion is to join the 356 Registry--they will point you in the right direction [www.356registry.org] Though their Forums are not as developed as Rennlist, the e-mail listserv is full of curmudgeons who know the cars front and back and will be able to answer/help with virtually any question you may have.

Good luck and please post some pictures of the car when you get a chance! A 356A is a beautiful car, and immensely valuable, especially in open top form.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:38 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
1) How important is a climate controlled garage?
2) Does anyone have any NY or near NY (CT, NJ) recommendations for a loving garage?
3) Does anyone have recommendations for a good local mechanic?

Marty

Marty...

Where exactly are you in NYC? I have friends in the area with 356's and I can ask them for you

You can PM me the info if you'd like.

PS: We have always climate controlled our garages for our cars, be it in Arkansas or now back here in the Desert of So. Cal. In the south, of course, humidity was the big 'devil' to these old cars, and here it's the heat. We just try to protect our cars from everything that we possibly can.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:12 PM
backnblack
Racer

I really don't think you know what your getting into,the cost of a heated garage, maintenance, restoration, time away from the family on every weekend laboring on the car. I think you should consider selling it to me.
How about some pics.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeeze, Matt. How do you do that? Who deeds a climate controlled garage with that in the family?
Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 PM
jayster
Instructor

Len Cummings in Stowe ,Mass.
Autosport Engineering
www.autosportengineering.com
Old 08-31-2008, 11:03 PM
lumpy
Racer

I have seen quite a few 356s being worked on at my mechanic's shop-Manhattan Motorsports-Bobby Singh is the owner. The phone number is 212-585-1100. No affiliation other than he services my 993TT. I have been meaning to do some research on Hot Rod Hotel, climate controled storage and much cheaper than parking in the city. It is located near Bear Mtn and they advertise in Panorama.

Quick Reply: New 356 Owner Seeking Advice