Sponsored by:

Barn find ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:44 PM
jeffz993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barn find ?

Just trying to educate myself on vintage p-cars 356's and early 911. I currently have a 993 nb and I think will always have (love it) but I am in search of a older one also. I need a little advise on a 356 behind a fence that I have eyeballed for about the last 8-12 months. I stopped today and the owner will be back after lunch so I will go back this afternoon.
Here's the details I have so far, all tires flat light yellow paint, body is straight with some visible rust, split grill, emblem says SC on rear deck car looks complete glass trim gauges all there.
Where do I start if he wants to get rid of it and what else do I look for?
Thanks for any info. Jeff
Old 05-22-2008, 04:21 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff, I suggest you get a copy of Schrager's "Buying, Driving & Enjoying the Porsche 356". He also writes a column on 356 valuation for SCM magazine. They also sell a model profile for the 356. I would also track down the closest 356 Registry chapter (shouldn't be too hard in CA) and avail myself of their member's expertise - particularly the chance to drive a very good example of the car you are contemplating buying. Get an estimate of the cost for refurb to driver status (or complete restoration, if that's your goal - you are clear on your goal & budget, right?) to calibrate the owner's selling price. SCs are desirable as drivers, but were plentiful enough not to be thought of as true investments. As to value, it depends... upon an expert's examination of the specific car. Good luck & have fun!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:34 PM
theleader
3rd Gear

try starting low... if he wants to get rid of it :P
Old 08-05-2008, 07:53 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

+1 on ked's advice. Just be very, very careful - if the underside and longitudinals are rusted out, and assuming it needs to new paint, engine work, interior work, ad nauseum, you could be looking at spending a fortune to get right, and far more than it would be worth when you are done.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was 3 months ago...any update?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:00 PM
jeffz993
Advanced

The update is I could not directly ever reach the owner, but the guy at the shop where it is stored says the owner does not want to sell. Its just going to rot away sittin outside side I see it there each day as I drive by.
I am still on a search for an additional p-car not in a rush but when the right one pops up I think I'll know it.
Thanks for checking in.
Jeff
Old 08-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffz993
The update is I could not directly ever reach the owner, but the guy at the shop where it is stored says the owner does not want to sell. Its just going to rot away sittin outside side I see it there each day as I drive by.
I am still on a search for an additional p-car not in a rush but when the right one pops up I think I'll know it.
Thanks for checking in.
Jeff
God that seems a real shame when it could go to someone who would really cherish it! Good luck --H
Old 08-08-2008, 05:15 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There's a 67 Shelby GT 350 near me, same situation. Makes me crazy.

Quick Reply: Barn find ?