Sponsored by:

Need Help locating a 356B rear drum

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 PM
vdub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help locating a 356B rear drum

I just got screwed by a machine shop who messed up one of my 356B rear drums and denys having damaged the drum. I dropped the drums off to them this morning to have them surfaced and they tell me it's going to be next week before they get around to them. 2:30 rolls around and I get a call saying that they want me to take a look at one of the drums before they work on them because it has damage. I rush over there from work and the BS starts. On and on about how they did not jig the drum on their lathe and it must have been that way when I brought it in (it absolutely was not...I cleaned them myself and there is NO WAY I would have missed this damage). The damage is on the inside grease or oil ring surface. Looks like whatever they jigged this on ground down the surface when they began spinning the drum. Long story short, they shaved (not a clean shave) a few thousanths off of this surface which I'm guessing will mean the drum will not seat properly. I'll take a picture of it tonight.

Assuming the damage is not repairable, does anyone know where I can find a good replacement? I know they're hard to find which is why the shop is denying having anything to do with it. I'm absolutely sick about it. Anyone got any advice for me?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 02-08-2008, 08:02 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try Mark at Eurotech in Kirkland,WA (425) 823-4282 It is a body shop but he does a lot of 356 work. Might have one sitting around.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:31 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If ANYONE has one laying around, EASY would...
http://www.easypor.com/
good luck!
{& a cautionary lesson to us all : photo parts before dropping 'em off for service}
Old 02-08-2008, 10:55 PM
vdub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
{& a cautionary lesson to us all : photo parts before dropping 'em off for service}
Very sound advice...unfortunately I've learn this lesson the hard way.

Thanks for the leeds.

Quick Reply: Need Help locating a 356B rear drum