Sponsored by:

Weather strip

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 PM
FL-356C
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weather strip

My front and rear glass weather stripping is cracked / separated and looks horrible (not leaking though). I am assuming to replace, the glass has to be removed? That REALLY makes me nervous. What is the success rate of doing this and not breaking the glass? Would a reputable windsheild repair place be ok?

Thanks guys
Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Haven't done it but I've heard it can be tricky and if you're not careful, you can crack a windshield (going price for new ones is about $500+). I guess is a good windshield repair place is willing to take the job, they should be responsible if they break the windshield. Check the Registry Technical section - I think there may be an article there re changing windshields - there are some special techniques.

OK, I checked for you, check this article: http://www.356registry.org/Tech/windshield.html
Old 01-25-2008, 10:46 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the glass has to come out. I'd seek a 356 restoration shop that has plenty of experience installing glass - I suspect there are a number of them in FL. I have read that even new gaskets will develop cracks at the corners fairly soon after installation, so be prepared for that. in my case, as long as I've got no leaks, I'm not screwing w/ them (it won't be seen on the lawn at Amelia Isl anytime soon, though). & as we all know, as soon as you replace a ws you get stuck behind an uncovered gravel truck... good luck!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:54 PM
FL-356C
Advanced

Originally Posted by ked
Yes, the glass has to come out. I'd seek a 356 restoration shop that has plenty of experience installing glass - I suspect there are a number of them in FL. I have read that even new gaskets will develop cracks at the corners fairly soon after installation, so be prepared for that. in my case, as long as I've got no leaks, I'm not screwing w/ them (it won't be seen on the lawn at Amelia Isl anytime soon, though). & as we all know, as soon as you replace a ws you get stuck behind an uncovered gravel truck... good luck!
Yes, that is my delima. It is cosmetic only, but it bugs the **** out of me... As you know, us east coasters are at a loss when it comes to 356 shops. I guess I will live with it for a while.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:46 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Really........... don't replace it unless you have to. We replaced one on our '65 and within a year, the new one was cracked in the exact same corner. That was the end of that car's Concours life. We weren't about to take another chance and have the windshield (original to the car) break just to have the car look 'better' for a bunch of judges......
Old 01-27-2008, 07:44 PM
FL-356C
Advanced

Ok, you talked me out of it. I feel better though knowing that I am not the only one running with cracked stripping. My girl is a survivor not a show car anyway. Had a "spirited" drive this morning and my 356 juices are flowing! I will focus my $ towards something a bit safer....
Old 01-27-2008, 11:01 PM
rmally
Intermediate

If you do decide later, the glass should be fine however remember that you may have to replace the window trim.

When I did mine...(or the shop for that matter) they bent the trim on both front and rear, so off to Stoddard.

FYI on prices:

Front rubber $61.50
Rear rubber $70.75
Trim front $44.50 and 45.90
Trim rear $44.45 x 2
Connecting piece $4.25 x4

Quick Reply: Weather strip