Sponsored by:

Knotchback Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 03:03 PM
cspaldi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knotchback Question

Hello all! I was given a 1961 (T5) knotchback with a numbers matching super engine that is just starting to be taken apart for pretty major restoration work. My likely engine builder suggests, as body work already needs to be done, that I cut the top off and fit a removable hard top that he thinks he may be able to get for a good price. It is his opinion it will increase the value of the car and make it more enjoyable as a weekend driver.

I really like the concept of an open car and know that original open cars go for much more that coupes. Any thoughts on what such work (assuming done well) would do to the value of the car (either up or down). I don't think I would fit a folding top, but that could be done later. The knotchback look and novelty is really growing on me, but an open car would be nice. A removable hard top would seem to be the best of both worlds, but would not be original. Thoughts from the collective wisdom? Thanks!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:10 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

its originally a coupe? dont cut it.. unless its gary emory or wilhoit doing the work, i wouldnt trust it to be done right. someone suggesting to do this for value sounds like a hack job or a witch doctor. sounds freakin scary to me

who is your engine builder?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There aren't a lot of unmolested notchbacks left... quite a few have been coverted to "fake" cabs, etc.

I'd leave it. If you really want to cut up a numbers matching car, get a coupe... or a non-numbers matching car.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:48 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

within the past year there has been a feature article on Karmann notchbacks in the 356 Registry, I would join & track down that back issue. over the years, there have been many closed to open car 356 conversions... one is described on p 15 of "356 Porsche Tech & Restoration Guide Vol 2".

before embarking on such a course, I would do a great deal more research - talk w/ experts like Willhoit & Paterek. I wouldn't assume my engine builder is expert on chassis conversion, even if he can get a good deal on a removable hardtop - that's the least of the issues.

as to value, search herein for a lengthy discussion. my own opinion is that one chops a top for pleasure, not profit. good luck!

Quick Reply: Knotchback Question