My Barn Find...and an introduction

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:44 PM
rmally
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Barn Find...and an introduction

Hey again folks,

I just joined the forum and thought I would say hello.

I recently just purchased from the original owner a 1963 Porsche 356 B in really good condition, it needs paint and that's about it..Thus my previous post regarding side molding removal. The 356 is a great find, the original owner had keep most records since she drove it off the showroom floor. I have receipts, books, manuals, and the original title. This car had been sitting in the basement garage for many years until she decided to try and sell it. As luck would have it I ran across it before anyone else had a chance to grab it.

The car is Ruby Red with Black interior and runs GREAT. The only modification being the 12 volt system.

The car will be going to the body shop next week and will "reside" there for the next three months...Can't wait to see the finished work.

I'll be doing the interior when I get her back, although it's very presentable as is.

Here are a few pictures from when I first picked the car up.

I'm looking forward to a long relationship with her and many PCA outings.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions in the future.

Regards,

Randy
Attached Images  

Last edited by rmally; 04-27-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:34 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice! Like everyone I love to hear of those "Barn Finds" from the original owner.
Good luck and enjoy.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:43 PM
JonesnSince78
Advanced

Welcome and congratulations! Looks like a great find -- in terrrific shape. Body shop???
Old 12-06-2007, 10:08 PM
rmally
Intermediate

Thanks guys,

Doesn't need any body work, but they are the one's stripping the paint and doing the new paint job. Original color of course.

I'll post some photos of the work in progress as the shop is only a few miles away.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! enjoy the new toy
Old 12-07-2007, 12:09 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Congrats - looks like a great find, very clean car, I assume all original (matching numbers, etc.). Enjoy it!

If you don't mind my asking, what is the paint going to cost? (I am going to paint soon.)
Old 12-07-2007, 01:11 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, what do I know? - eveyone has their own vision.
question the premise (congradulations on the find, btw)?
what's the hurry about taking a new-to-you survivor & immediately having it repainted?
3 months of driving appeals to me more than spending $.
is it a mess / are there compelling issues - anxious to show it or ?
if it were mine, I'd drive it / evaluate it for a year... then devise a plan.
a 356 is only the way you found it once.
have at it!
Old 12-07-2007, 01:48 AM
h4v0c951
2nd Gear

Congrat's excellent barn find!

What you've found are harder to come by. enjoy!
Old 12-07-2007, 03:09 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! completely jealous here....
Old 12-07-2007, 08:54 AM
rmally
Intermediate

I actually have been driving the car since September, getting as much "seat time" as I could before having it painted. The car actually had a repaint by the original owner 18 years ago, however the prep back then was just average, thus the stripping and repaint.

I want to enjoy the car this Spring and have it looking as nice as can be...Trailer Queen or Show, No way, this will be a very much enjoyed driver. Am I doing a $15k paint job, nope.....The local stripper charges $1000 to media blast, and the shop charge will be around 4-6K.

The car is completley original except for the 12 volt system, and all numbers match.....No Rust except small surface on a few spots. As is the car is presentable at 5 feet, but since painting a classic does take time, what better time than in Winter.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:36 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please give more details on the car- was it running when you picked it up? If so, how did the owner keep it running if it was stored in the garage? What did the owner say about the car- why she bought it, when she last used it, was she going to miss it? How did you find out about the car- for sale sign? Internet? Newspaper?

I'm a sucker for a good story on an old car! Original owner cars that are over 40 years old don't come around that often you know...
Old 12-07-2007, 02:29 PM
rmally
Intermediate

Originally Posted by andrew911
Please give more details on the car- was it running when you picked it up? If so, how did the owner keep it running if it was stored in the garage? What did the owner say about the car- why she bought it, when she last used it, was she going to miss it? How did you find out about the car- for sale sign? Internet? Newspaper?

I'm a sucker for a good story on an old car! Original owner cars that are over 40 years old don't come around that often you know...

Back in August I received a call from my Father-in-law who stated that one of his old high school friends (he is 72) had just touched base with him and through idle chat mentioned that she might want to get rid of her "old car" She never drove the car and none of her children were interested in it. It had been stored in the basement garage, and the neighboor would come over on occassion and run the car for her. The PO was a true Porsche fan and loved the car thus keeping it through the years. I touched base with her and arranged to come down and look at the car.....a five hour trip.

When I got there she was the most pleasant person you could ever meet. She said back in 1963 she drove her VW in for service and while waiting for it noticed the Ruby Red 356 in the showroom, she instantly feel in love with the car and drove it home that day off the floor. She took great care of the 356 and had just about every service record dating back to 1963. Over the years the car became a "third" driver but she said she could never get rid off it. Her husband passed recently and so she thought about selling it. Since I was the son-in-law of one of her very close friends she agreed to sell me the car at a very, very good price, as long as i wasnt just buying it to "flip" it.

After opening the basement door and seeing the car I knew I was going to get it. It started right up and idled perfect, it ran even better with just a few backfires. All the paper work was there dating back to 1963, even the original title which I have now lamanated. I also meet the neighbor who had been caring for the car, he would always make sure the car was being started and driven around the block every few months.

She drove the car up until the late 90's, which is why it has the 12 volt system, she wanted good headlights at night.

After much picture taking and paper gathering...and of course the exchange of money we loaded it on a Uhaul carrier and I towed it home. The PO has an open invite to come by anytime she's in town, and I hope she does.

It's great owning a car that you know the complete history of and have met the original owner. Hopefully in 40 years my kids will still be driving this beauty.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Stratman
Racer

Simply amazing. I second the sentiment not to have it repainted just yet. How bad is the paint anyway? From the pictures it looks pretty good to me. You may not be interested at all in showing the car but judges and people seem to like them when they haven't been restored.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:02 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome! That is a great story. It does not get any better than that.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:53 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

If you repaint, just do it right. Ever since getting my first 356 summer last year, the one thing that bugs me most is the paint - mine is a 10 footer at best, and I hope to repaint (and reupholster) soon. I say go ahead and do it over the winter, then drive the hell out of it!

Quick Reply: My Barn Find...and an introduction