Sponsored by:

Pre-A emblem info needed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 PM
TC/914
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-A emblem info needed.

I got a box of emblems and trim with my '55 and was wondering if anyone knew if the silver/aluminum 1500 emblem is correct for this car?

The Continental scripts are gold, I can line them up with the fender holes so I guess that they're correct, same thing with the gold Porsche emblems front and rear. The holes are present in the rear and line up with the 1500 emblem, but it seems odd that all of the others are gold and this is silver.

Do I need to get a gold 1600 emblem? Is the 1500 emblem supposed to be silver? Do they make gold 1500 emblem repros?

Any help would be great, I've searched the net but haven't come across any close-up pics of a good sharp '55 Continental rear shot to use as a guide.

Thanks !

TC
Old 10-15-2007, 10:28 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TC, If you don't have the latest "The 356 Porsche / A Restorers Guide to Authenticity" by Dr. Brett Johnson, I would get it, esp if I were finishing up a Pre-A.

On pg. 70-71 of Rev II, in referring to engine designation scripts as described in the '55 parts book, he states, "Part numbers for the aluminum badges all start with a 356 prefix, the gold with 540, implying once again that the gold badges were for Speedsters." So, this indicates that yes, the aluminum 1500 badge is correct for a Continental coupe having a 1500cc engine. I assume you have documentation that your car was delivered w/ a 1500cc engine (CoA or Kardex)... btw, he spends 2 pages & offers numerous photos on badge & script issues.

To be certain, you can post your inquiry on the 356 Talklist (don't forget to list the vin, many changes did not conform to MY) - Johnson is a subscriber & responds there fairly often. You might also call John Willhoit - he's likely to know the answer since he has restored or serviced many Pre-As.

Best of luck completing the project, we look forward to photos & even seeing the car somewhere, sometime.

Quick Reply: Pre-A emblem info needed.