Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We get no Respect I tell you, NO RESPECT

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:20 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the word 'livid' comes to mind, I'm nearly there, and I didn't even go to the event. Why in the world would the owners even consent to park their cars there? Thats kind of what they teach the first day of carshow 101: cars park on grass or pavement. Do not park on dirt, do not drive across dirt, go directly to jail, do not collect $200.

All they had to say when being parked was "I'm not parking on the dirt" and the guy parking cars would say, "ok, we'll make some room on the grass somewhere"
Old 07-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Joanne - remeber a few years back when Mike Robbins wasn't accepted into a Parade, even though he's been to all of them and had hundreds of thousands of miles on his factory-picked-up speedster?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Having some knowledge of Porsche Parade 2008, this should not be a problem in Charlotte. IIRC, The Sunday concours will be in downtown Charlotte on the street. Several blocks will be blocked off to vehicular traffic and used for display purposes.
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

While I agree it was a bad idea to park the beautiful tubs on the dirt, I don't think it was done on purpose to disrespect the registry owners. Isn't Skip Shirley a registry member and tub owner? He was the 2007 Parade Concours Chair. I hope we see more 356's at Parades. I know I really enjoyed them and thank all those who brought them out. While I flew out (no way to fit a wife and three kids into a 914 for more than an hour), I did bring my 1:18 scale 356 Speedster for the Diecast Concours. I'm happy to report, much like 1:1 scale concours, the Speedster won Best in Show.

The entire field was very dry. I was a judge and stayed all day (from 6am to 5pm) and watched as the golf carts carrying free bottles of water kicked up dust, and they were on the grass. My team had to do final judging in Preparation. One of the cars was a midnight blue 964 cabriolet. It was covered in dust. The owner was advised not to try and wipe off as it would scratch the finish.

Big thanks to all those who brought out the historic cars. I loved the 550, 904's, 910 and 908. Very cool!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:22 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Manny,

I don't think it was done on purpose... at least I HOPE not. I think it was done without thought. I really doubt that Skip would have allowed his beautiful Speedster to be parked on the Dirt. What I don't understand is with all unused grass area that was at the park (near the other Paddock cars), why someone felt the need to put the 356's on a dirt road. I know what it takes to clean the undercarriage of a 356. It is not all nicely sealed like the new Porsches. Those 356 owners that had planned to take their cars to the Dana Point Concours the following weekend (yesterday) had a heck of a cleaning up job to do in a weeks time. The Dana Point Concours is a serious event with tough judging. Nope. I would not have been fun.

It just seems that no matter what or where, when it comes to 356's and the PCA, the 356's get the short end of the stick. It just seems like PCA is much more a club for the new cars than the old ones..... Not that there's anything wrong with that .

I did notice dust on many of the dark colored cars in the Concours and HOPEFULLY no one got dinged for that since it was beyond their control. We know what it is like to be digned for something that pretty much is an act of nature. Still, just because the 356's weren't in the Concours didn't mean it was okay for them to be in the dirt. No one should have been parked in the dirt PERIOD. There was plenty of Grass for all the cars to be parked on, and then some.

Plain and simple, it was just poor planning on SOMEONES part.

Congratualtions on the win for your die cast Speedster! We were going to both take part in that event, but since we just moved back to Southern California all our models are still in the packing boxes You lucked out this time, but just wait till next time. I'll get you then!

~JoAnne

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
While I agree it was a bad idea to park the beautiful tubs on the dirt, I don't think it was done on purpose to disrespect the registry owners. Isn't Skip Shirley a registry member and tub owner? He was the 2007 Parade Concours Chair. I hope we see more 356's at Parades. I know I really enjoyed them and thank all those who brought them out. While I flew out (no way to fit a wife and three kids into a 914 for more than an hour), I did bring my 1:18 scale 356 Speedster for the Diecast Concours. I'm happy to report, much like 1:1 scale concours, the Speedster won Best in Show.

The entire field was very dry. I was a judge and stayed all day (from 6am to 5pm) and watched as the golf carts carrying free bottles of water kicked up dust, and they were on the grass. My team had to do final judging in Preparation. One of the cars was a midnight blue 964 cabriolet. It was covered in dust. The owner was advised not to try and wipe off as it would scratch the finish.

Big thanks to all those who brought out the historic cars. I loved the 550, 904's, 910 and 908. Very cool!!!

Last edited by RJT; 07-11-2007 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Not a Carrera Roadster but a Carrera CAB.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:03 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NCporsche
Having some knowledge of Porsche Parade 2008, this should not be a problem in Charlotte. IIRC, The Sunday concours will be in downtown Charlotte on the street. Several blocks will be blocked off to vehicular traffic and used for display purposes.

Harvey...

LOL, Y'all better have some knowledge about Parade 2008!!!
I have faith in you and know that after this year's dust bowl, you will do a better job. Make sure the street sweepers clean up the night before

~JoAnne
Old 07-13-2007, 08:40 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey JoAnne, maybe you can bring Gunter or Wofgang to our Canada West weekend at Sun Peaks at the end of August! We promise there will be no dust!!
Old 07-13-2007, 10:28 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DJF1
Hey JoAnne, maybe you can bring Gunter or Wofgang to our Canada West weekend at Sun Peaks at the end of August! We promise there will be no dust!!
Danny,

I don't think we can this year. We'll be at Monterey for a week prior to and during the Historical races. We haven't been able to do that event since 1998 and we are just itching to go. That is only the weekend before your event.

Sounds like a fun time though.....

~JoAnne
Old 07-17-2007, 11:32 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
Danny,

I don't think we can this year. We'll be at Monterey for a week prior to and during the Historical races. We haven't been able to do that event since 1998 and we are just itching to go. That is only the weekend before your event.

Sounds like a fun time though.....

~JoAnne
ohhh...too bad One of these days I will be able to meet you guys... Enjoy!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
Danny,

We'll be at Monterey for a week prior to and during the Historical races. We haven't been able to do that event since 1998 and we are just itching to go.

~JoAnne
We'll be there too - and definitely at the pre-Historics. So, if you see a guy - probably wearing a khaki "Porsche 356" hat and Ray Ban sunglasses, with two young boys, walking around the paddock, that'd be us.

Jay
Old 07-18-2007, 01:31 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jay Laifman
We'll be there too - and definitely at the pre-Historics. So, if you see a guy - probably wearing a khaki "Porsche 356" hat and Ray Ban sunglasses, with two young boys, walking around the paddock, that'd be us.

Jay
LOL JAY! Ther ewill be a lot of guys walking aroudn the paddock wearing Khaki "Porsche 356" hats and Ray Ban Sunglasses!!!

We'll be looking for ya! Robert will be wearing the same hat, but his Glasses are Porsche Design........ I have no idea what I'llbe weear, you know.... women can never decide.... LOL

See you there!
~JoAnne
Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everytime I see this thread...Aretha Franklin comes to my mind...R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should listen to General Patton:

"never assume a conspiracy when incompetence is an equal explanation"

Quick Reply: We get no Respect I tell you, NO RESPECT