Starting my restoration project - 56 Carrera - Page 9 - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Starting my restoration project - 56 Carrera

Old 03-08-2017, 12:40 AM   #121
JackW
User

Now I had to make the 1958 engine look like the chromed 1956 motor that was originally in Dean's car. As you can see in the last picture above the engine I got from Italy had the fan shroud with the snorkel to feed the optional gas fired heater of the later cars. I figured that someone was probably looking for one of these shrouds and might have a plain shroud from the earlier cars with the throttle linkage behind the shroud to trade. So I put a request up on the 356 Registry looking for someone who was willing to swap some parts around. Rainer Cooney came to my rescue for the first of several times during this phase of the project and he had the shroud and crankcase breather tube with the right linkage piece that I needed. Later he was also able to swap tachometer drives (the one I had was for a Spyder and turned the cable in the opposite direction) and sell me some correct distributors instead of the modified Alfa units that came with the engine. He was a real lifesaver on this project. Rainer restores 550 Spyders at his shop and was very helpful in educating me about some of the nuances of the differences in various generations of the 4-cam engine.

I'd also like to thank Tim Herman of Carrera Motorsports - he made up a set of oil hoses for me and also loaned me a really hard piece to find so that I could make a duplicate. Apparently my new motor has a flywheel from a later 2.0 liter Carrera engine which is a little deeper than the one on the 1600cc engines. There is a 5mm spacer plate that fits between the transmission case and the engine which keeps the flywheel from touching the interior of the bell housing. This is not a nice thing to find out when you are installing the engine for the first time only a few days before the car is supposed to be on the show field at the 2016 Amelia Island Concours. Tim very graciously sent the only one he had down to me and we were able to get the engine in and fired up for the first time two days before we had to be in Florida with the car. Another last minute crisis resolved with the help of some great folks in the Porsche community. I later had a friend of mine machine a couple of duplicates on a CNC mill so Tim got two back for the one he sent me but without his help we would have never made the show.
Attached Images

JackW is offline   Reply With Quote