Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new car to the fold..my new 356.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:54 AM
hugoc2s
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Aaaaah! Now I understand the 'Yellow Submarine' reference in your last email. Well done Johnny! When can I come and see?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Johnny...as a former "C" owner, I collected a huge database from the 356s from 64 to 65...extracted from Panos and 356Reg magazines, I have several records of "C cars, changing hands, from 1970 to 2005...your car was for sale at the following Panorama magazine's issues:
SEP/1982
SEP/1989
MAR/1997
Go to eBay and get the issues...it will add some history to your car...

Congrats...

Pedro
Old 06-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Pedro, thanks! I have exchanged emails with the owner from the 80's, and established that it was most likely owned by Dan Schnitta from Gingerman Raceway for most of the 90's - I have still to find an email for him.

I'll pick up those issues for sure, it would be great to trace the footprint back pre-82. Thanks for the tip!

Hugh, sorry, too subtle (and you are likely desensitised to my 356 chat!). Drop in if you passing..Knockhill Classic Speedfair day coming up 21st/22nd July, too - I'll be taking it along and trying to sneak it onto the PCGB stand.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Johnny, its been a couple of weeks at least...time for some more pics and impressions!

Is it still love?

Cheers,

--H
Old 06-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
I'll pick up those issues for sure, it would be great to trace the footprint back pre-82. Thanks for the tip!

My pleasure Johnny...at least you'll know where the car was in 1982....for how long, will still be a mistery!
Old 06-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Howard, Pedro.

P - Maybe the phone numbers will still work! Maybe I'll find the original owner who still has the original papers, toolkit and keyfob in a box in his attic! (Aye, right..)

It hasn't really sunk in, to be honest. Too much to take in, and too busy! There are also some things that need fixing which mean I can't really relax into it until they're fixed..this is what happens when you buy a driver, and an unloved one at that.

When I have fixed the generator problem, rebuilt the sticking caliper, got the welding done , and stopped fretting about the puff of blue smoke I get after waiting at stop lights , I'll be able to report back fully, with some in car video maybe..

Despite these things, I still can't believe it when I open the garage. The tiny teardrop shape with the tucked-in rear wheels, and the big bizarrely airy interior and the bijou dash and dials. The driving experience is a little like flying an old plane (I imagine), including the soundtrack. The handling is actually similar to my 964 - I wasn't expecting that, engine location notwithstanding. Just more feel and less torque. Wayyyy less torque.
Lots of attention, including some really impolite camera phone use, but some very very decent people on 356talk. I thought the use of an email list sounded cumbersome, but it actually works pretty damn well.

So yes it is still love. In fact I feel like I'm home. The 356 has a spritual thing to it, silly as it may sound. For me anyway. Cheers!

Old 06-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THANKS JOHNNY!! I just love the pics and impressions. To the uninitiated the impressions are very interesting to read.

Don't know how I missed this update on Monday, for some reason the 356 board does not seem to highlight unread posts like the 964 board does and so its not apparent to me when new posts are made unless I look in the threads or check the name of the last poster. (I know...there is only around 3 new posts a week so its not hard to track!!)

Cheers!!

--H

Quick Reply: A new car to the fold..my new 356.