Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An observation or 2 and a question or 2, too ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default An observation or 2 and a question or 2, too ...

Hello again, folks ...

I just returned today from Carlisle, PA where they were showing some 356 Speedy's, Roadsters and .... ta-dah .... a coupe. All were replicas. But, most were very nice. The quality of the cars was great.

I must say that the limited time I spent with the owners of the replicas was very positive. Yes, some had concerns with a leak here or there (duhh), or some other problem. But, all seemed very happy with their cars.

They drove them to PA from IA, SC, FLA, IL, ME, MA, TN and such. Most did not have a problem with their cars. Pretty neat.

I spent some time with some of the manufacturers of these cars, too. Very dedicated folks. The cars I was looking at were NOT "kit cars" by any means. They were manufactured cars that were very, very nice. Most were $25 -60K ! Amazing. But, everything was NEW, NEW, NEW.

I liked them a great deal. Heck, they even had a coupe ... and some offer liquid cooled cars with AC and real heat! Roll up (or electric) windows and performance that pales any 'real 356'. Some of the air cooled cars were pushing a detuned 2330ish motor to nearly 180 ponies! Wow ! Most were 125 ponies or so.

Now, all that said .... I'm still in the market for a nice coupe that is not a rusty POS that I have to spend most of my time/money getting to a point that I can drive a couple hundred miles at one time without having a coronary thinking about it. I'm no wrench. And, the SO would not appreciate a flat bedded drive back to CT from NH.

Here's a car on eBay .... I don't think it's original. And, that is not a problem for me. I just want a rust free car, one that is reliable and reasonably fast ... that doesn't smell bad (don't ask), and such.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270122099366

Perhaps those on the board that are more in tuned with REAL cars can give me some guidance here. And, once again .... what do you think of this car??

Thanx in advance. You are all such nice folks here to put up with some of us.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:26 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Somehow I have a gut problem with the repros, not that I don't respect those who have them, but part of the charm of my 1960 B Coupe is that its 47 years old and I'm driving the thing 2-4 days a week, and its fun to work on it and improve it bit by bit.

I managed to take my wife on one 60 mile roundtrip so far, but I doubt she will want to take longer trips in it. It does not have A/C, heater is very marginal, its noisy, no power windows, etc. Not too much to offer a SO unless she's a true car buff. For me, its kind of like camping - I could have fun occasionally, my wife's idea of camping is a cheap room at the Ritz Carlton.

I read the description of the ebay car and skimmed the pictures. It looks like a pretty nice driver and definitely would be worth checking out more closely. Of course, it would be very dangerous to bid on it (at least to something likely to meet the probable reserve) without an in person inspection. If its as clean and nice as they claim, even the BIN price might be in the ballpark, but it could also be too high, depending.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanx for the comments, Jim. I appreciate it.

I can certainly understand your comments about a noisy, bumpy-riding car. My SO is not enamored with my 993 very much. Me on the other hand ... think it is pretty 'modern' compared to the 911T I once had in the late 60s.

Altho, I may pull the trigger on a car at any time (and may regret my choice), I'm still patient enough to wait and spend more time with research on real ... and replica .... cars. Both have their positive points. It just depends on what one's area of compromise lies.

Quick Reply: An observation or 2 and a question or 2, too ...