Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Anybody know approx value of low mile, 1-owner 1965 VW Beetle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:12 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 130 Posts
Default OT: Anybody know approx value of low mile, 1-owner 1965 VW Beetle?

I'm helping a long-time friend sell her late father's car, and would appreciate advice on what I should ask for it. (I'll probably list it here and/or eBay, I suppose).

(I did a lot of work on VW's in the 1970's, when I had a 61 Bug and 62 Bus, so I at least know what I'm talking about...)

I just picked up the car today. It's a red 1965 Beetle with 62 K miles. I even have the original receipt from the dealer for $1831. 53.

It has been painted once, but a good job. I see no indication of rust repair, and I took tons of detailed photos, top and bottom. The interior is all original. Headliner is in perfect shape. Rear seat bottom is perfect, rear seat back is split at the horizontal seam- could probably be sewn up. Front seats have seat covers- and under that the original upholstery is split. Carpet is original. The car had sat for ten or more years, then in 1998 they took it to a local VW shop, who for $700 did king and link pins, oil change, outer tie rod ends, rebuilt carb and added fuel filter, replaced axle boots, replaced front brake cylinders and brake hoses. The owners then drove it to a local car show, got a little award, and drove it home, where it has not moved for nine years. Until today.

I'll charge or replace the battery and get the engine running before offering the car for sale. Also discovered the windows don't roll up and down, so I guess I'll get new regulators.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the best pricing strategy for a car like this. I have sold about ten of my cars on ebay over the years, and have perfect feedback, so that is the direction I'm leaning.......

Oh, me and the car are in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Attached Images     
Old 04-23-2007, 01:07 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

not sure about prices.. check the samba and get an idea there (thats the place to go for old vee dubs)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/
Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Paul...I'd use eBay as well...let the market set the price for you...well...but you still need to research for a fair "reserve price"...

PS. Charming little beast!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:42 AM
FL-356C
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a great looking VW. Looks like it was very well taken care of. I learned to drive stick with my '71 Super Beetle convertible. Loved that car! It was flooded and buried in sand in Gulf Shores, AL during hurricane Opal I towed it home, stripped it down and was about to rebuild her. Thats when I found my C and the little beetle got put on the back burner... She still sits in pieces in my father-in-laws barn in TN. Maybe one day.......
Old 04-25-2007, 04:38 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Paul,
That's beautiful! I learned to drive at the ripe age of 13 when my father gave me a '66 Beetle. I think he paid $60 for it at the time. Unfortunately, rust had already done it's job on the car. I was able to peddle it to a friend for $50, three years later

Andreas

Quick Reply: OT: Anybody know approx value of low mile, 1-owner 1965 VW Beetle?