Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where has all the direction gone .... ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

ked ... and others, too ....

Thanx, I appreciate your posts and experiences. The information is good.

Yes, I have seen a few examples on eBay that I liked a great deal. Altho, I had not laid 'eyes' on the car. But, still ... they looked pretty terrific. Like 36 photos of every possible nook and cranny. Impressive.

But, I gotta say ... these listings were mostly from a dealers. Dealers need to turn a profit. For many reasons. I understand and accept that. And, their cars look the best of the lot. But, who wants to over pay for a car?

The problem with eBay is (other than "Buy it Now !) ... one does not know the price. I can guess, but unless I bid and continue to do so, I'm not sure I'm in the hunt. Ya know what I'm talkin' 'bout?

So, I see a "potential car" listed on eBay. I ask the members here what they think and then .... would you folks be able to give me price range to consider? And, what about an 'inspection"? That ain't gonna happen is it?

Anyway, when I see the next car on eBay (or elsewhere), I'll post it here and see what you folks have to say about it.

I am very patient about this search. And, I can swing either way. Real deal 356 or replica (nonVW based car, tho ... I don't want a VW panned car). But, who knows. If the right coupe comes along, I will buy it. There is still room in my garage. For the time being.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:02 AM
camchain
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received my new registry magazine today. There is a '65 C advertised. The ad says that that the condition is very good both mechanically and cosmetically. Ivory and tan. 10,000 miles on the engine. Third owner is selling. $24,500. phone: 609-737-7137. If you aren't a registry member, join.
Ron Hetherington
Old 03-07-2007, 01:42 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I was going to recommend European Collectibles - haven't personally dealt with them but have heard nothing but good things, and they usually have inventory. Looked at their site and may have found your car!:
http://www.europeancollectables.com/...ge_inv_id=C877

Another dealer with a good rep is Bob Campbell: http://www.356sales.com/
Old 03-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Thanx for the information, folks. I'll follow up with those tags.

Here's a couple cars that are eBay. Both seem to be very, very nice ... but, man ! they are expensive. Yes, they are cabs and those demand a higher premium ... I understand. But, altho I could buy one of these, I would probably not drive it much, nor park it in the lot at work. It would become just another "Sunday driver/garage queen". That's not what I'm looking for.

Take a look, tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260089455087

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260091226451
Old 03-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Jump2xs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bagger, here's my frank advice. I noticed that the theme of your post seems to be asking folks for their knowlege and comments on cars you are interested in, while we all want opinions on values I believe the best way to establish this is to go out and look at the cars yourself--go to events, shows, and auctions. Look at sellers cars, talk to the sellers face to face, make friends with the knowlegable. Make phone calls, find a mentor---not everyone want's to publicly express opinions or take the time to comment privately to a stranger.
You might even try kissing the asses of the veterans--listen to them and appreciate them as this is where the true knowlege and inside deals reside.
You must establish your own personal baseline of what's acceptable and at what price. If this seems like a lot of work--it is, but worth it ,if you really love the cars.
Yes I know this is may be considered novel in the point-and-click instant gratification internet world, but I feel learning about the cars hands-on and then extrapolating this knowlege with the web is the key. The internet has transformed and intensified the car collecting world making it much more enjoyable but it can stunt growth and make you (and me) lazy.

Last edited by Jump2xs; 03-07-2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just us non async-email guys over here in forum land - not to many of us

I'm over there on the talk list too

I have a nice engine for sale 58-59 1600s complete - though
Old 03-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jump2xs
Bagger, here's my frank advice. I noticed that the theme of your post seems to be asking folks for their knowlege and comments on cars you are interested in, while we all want opinions on values I believe the best way to establish this is to go out and look at the cars yourself--go to events, shows, and auctions. Look at sellers cars, talk to the sellers face to face, make friends with the knowlegable. Make phone calls, find a mentor---not everyone want's to publicly express opinions or take the time to comment privately to a stranger.
You might even try kissing the asses of the veterans--listen to them and appreciate them as this is where the true knowlege and inside deals reside.
You must establish your own personal baseline of what's acceptable and at what price. If this seems like a lot of work--it is, but worth it ,if you really love the cars.
Yes I know this is may be considered novel in the point-and-click instant gratification internet world, but I feel learning about the cars hands-on and then extrapolating this knowlege with the web is the key. The internet has transformed and intensified the car collecting world making it much more enjoyable but it can stunt growth and make you (and me) lazy.
Jump2xs...

I appreciate your post. And, I get it. And understand it as well.

I do care for these cars. But, if you have seen some of my earlier posts, I'm pretty skittish when it comes to buying a 50 some odd year old relic that has had umpteen owners/drivers, abuse, reincarnation and crap for repairs just to be sold to some dude with a couple coins who doesn't know any better.

BTDT more times than I care to admit.

I'm not a novice with P-cars. I've had more than a handful dating back to the mid/late 60s to the current 993/997 models. But, that said, I don't pretend to be an expert on this antique car from my youth. But, I do care for the 356 "look" a great deal. I've never driven one, but look forward to doing so at some time.

Trying to talk 'face-to-face' with an owner is difficult. Same/same deal with who own and do not wish to sell. I was at the (see if I can remember the name of the event) Northeast 356 Nationals this year in southern Connecticut ... Groton? New Haven? Somewhere in a BIG park down by the coast. It was last fall.

There were lots of 356 cars there. And, I did try to make talk with some of the folks there. I gotta say ... most of those folks were wound WAY toooooo tight when it comes to the cars. Some of the cars were very nice .... others were not. Some were for sale, but were not to my liking or price. Some (and this is a general statement ... and I apologize before hand) P-car owners seemed like elitists ******. They don't wanna give out any information to a noob. I drove my 993 C4S to the meet and was chastised by some because it wasn't cleaned to concours condition. Whatever. Even the judges seemed aloof and overly pompous. I was discouraged.

However, the above statement doesn't apply to just 356 folks, but to Porsche folks in general. So I am told. And, while I'm at it ... Harley folks. But, that's another story altogether.

I'll continue to pursue this quest. I do appreciate everyone's opinions and help. I am patient and not in a hurry to add to my collection. Maybe I am lazy .... yeah, maybe.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:01 PM
camchain
Instructor

Default on bung holes and getting started

Good morning Bagger,

I have been driving 356s since high school. As a matter fact I learned to drive in my father’s 63 coupe. The car was six years old at the time. Yes, I’m old as dirt and have had the good fortune to have learned from experience. Over the last 38 years I have owned five 356s. I have also owned other cars where the stereotype is that the owners are less than friendly. So much for my background.

The event you attended was the 2006 East Coast Holiday. It was held in Mystic Connecticut. Most years the registry has two national meets, one in the eastern US and the other in the Western part of the country. These events are the best places to see the best examples of nearly every 356 ever made. They are very tough places to meet 356 people. Most of the participants are busy catching up with old friends from other parts of the country or struggling to get their car ready for the various parts of the event be it driving or showing. Yes, the environment can be a bit up tight. This year in Aspen at the west coast event my wife and I had just pulled into the display area. Before I had even shut the car down a fellow was leaning in our window wanting to know the serial number of our car. I was still worried if I had parked ok, was my wife going to have a good time at the venue, do I leave the top up or put it down, did I bring everything, is the car shinny enough to be in the sea of perfection? I was a bit stressed and had a lot on my mind. I’m sure my response convinced this nice fellow that I was a real tool.

Where then is a good place to meet the owners and learn about the cars? Find your local 356 club and join them. Talk about 356s not 993s or 997s. We love those cars too (especially 993s) but that’s not why we gather. My wife generally doesn’t go to local events unless there is very good food or exceptional accommodations. I usually have extra space and love introducing others to our car. I know that there are other members in our local club who like having company too. I almost always share the driving. I’m sure the same opportunity exists near where you live. Buy the books. Read everything that you can find.

On the purchase front a picture is worth a thousand lies. You just can’t tell without touching and smelling the cars. I’ll never understand people that will spend big bucks with out buying an airplane ticket first. I’m looking for another pre-war car. (It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow and I’m not getting any faster) Last fall I thought that I had found what I was looking for. Out of fear I hired a man from England to fly over and take a look at it for me. It was the best money I’ve spent in a long time. The lesson learned, that is relearned, is to shop for the best and pay what is required. Over the long haul you will always come out ahead.

Cheers,
Ron Hetherington
Old 03-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

I think you're being a bit too picky. Sellers do get rude if they think the guy is just badmouthing their car in the hope of getting a discount deal. You might as well insult his wife.

I found my first 356 in a small spring autojumble in ludwigshaven. The car looked solid, ran Ok and the haggling was just one question - what's your botom price, he gave a fair answer and I said OK.

It's been nothing but fun from there. The engine blew the first time I drove it hard as there was 40 years of **** in the sides of the cylinders. (no room for cooling air) a quick deal on a second hand short engine and it's still running sweet. Other 356 owners are always willing to help. Talking to the general public at rallies is fun as long as you can laugh about how long it takes for one of them to say "It's just a beetle".

I did a deal last year for a "restored" cabrio and, to be honest, it's not nearly as good as the unrestored coupe. Many things were done on the cheap or badly. However it's still worth more than I paid for it so what the hell - I'll fiddle with for a while and eventually get it right..

I would echo what was in Schrager's book: buy a reasonable car (body having priority over mechanicals) and learn. Then you can look for the big deal with the benifit of being your own expert.

Don't look at big shows or registry if you are looking for a bargain. Those guys know what they have and what it's worth. The 356 at the back of the VW show is likely to be more interesting.

Barn finds are now rare, angry divorced wives selling the car cheap and even rarer, give aways only happen in the family, and posting ebay ads in the forums will only up the competition. You must expect to pay a fair price and the prices are going up. What you thought was fair last year is not enough now. Reasonable cars here start about 25000 Euros

By the way, I wash all my Porsches at least once a year - if they need it or not - does this make me elitist?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by camchain

Good morning Bagger,

I have been driving 356s since high school. As a matter fact I learned to drive in my father’s 63 coupe. The car was six years old at the time. Yes, I’m old as dirt and have had the good fortune to have learned from experience. Over the last 38 years I have owned five 356s. I have also owned other cars where the stereotype is that the owners are less than friendly. So much for my background.

The event you attended was the 2006 East Coast Holiday. It was held in Mystic Connecticut. Most years the registry has two national meets, one in the eastern US and the other in the Western part of the country. These events are the best places to see the best examples of nearly every 356 ever made. They are very tough places to meet 356 people. Most of the participants are busy catching up with old friends from other parts of the country or struggling to get their car ready for the various parts of the event be it driving or showing. Yes, the environment can be a bit up tight. This year in Aspen at the west coast event my wife and I had just pulled into the display area. Before I had even shut the car down a fellow was leaning in our window wanting to know the serial number of our car. I was still worried if I had parked ok, was my wife going to have a good time at the venue, do I leave the top up or put it down, did I bring everything, is the car shinny enough to be in the sea of perfection? I was a bit stressed and had a lot on my mind. I’m sure my response convinced this nice fellow that I was a real tool.

Cheers,
Ron Hetherington
Ron ...

Thanx for the response. But, I have to say that I am the LAST person to come up and lean on your door asking questions. That is just not my style.

I have had custom motorcycles, street rods, low rider 60s trucks and a bevy of other vehicles. I do not appreciate folks touching my vehicles. I don't appreciate stupid questions either.

I am not "one of those". I understand that you don't know me. I am not a pest ... a knowitall ... or a PITA at these meets. And, I do know about these cars in general.

I'm sorry I did not recall the exact name of the East Coast whatever deal .... that was not important. What was important is that folks were too busy (this was Sunday afternoon as the meet was winding down, bro) chatting with others in lawn chairs to care about my questions. And, my questions were not stupid or annoying. That's not my badge.

And, I was approached by 'sellers' that were not being honest thinking I was some 'dude'. Stuff that was said about my 993 was rude, too.

I have 356 books. Had 'em for 20 years. Member of the Registry. Don't know anything about local 356 groups. I'm not much into groups and 'what I got here, bro', junk. I like cars for what they do for me ... not others. I like to drive my cars ... not show 'em. Anything I know about my vehicles I would gladly tell someone else who is not a dick. BTDTX5

I don't have the time, or the coin, to travel here and there to look at some rusty POS that has a photog from 20 feet and a liar at the trigger. Hey, I've paid supposedly knowledgeable dudes to look at cars for me. It runs about 50/50. Some worked out ... some didn't. And, the experience was stressful and expensive.

Perhaps I could find a 356 local group ... see if the folks will 'accept me' and my not so stupid questions ... and perhaps purchase a car relatively close to me. But, I am patient. Who knows. And, I don't think I'm particularly "picky" ... some of what I wrote regarding what I wanted was "wish list". Hey, 30K USDs don't really buy much these days, eh.

Thanx for the response ... cheers.

Quick Reply: Where has all the direction gone .... ??