Sponsored by:

'62 B Coupe Dash Ventilation Controls

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Tedman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '62 B Coupe Dash Ventilation Controls

This is probably a total noob question, but I'm claiming to have performed at least some semblance of due diligence (no answer in Dr. Brett Johnson's 1st edition book, nor on the 356 Registry site, though I don't yet have access to the 356Talk archives). Anyway, here goes: If there were a lever in the upper slot of my '62 B Coupe dash ventilation control panel, what would it do?

I have read that it was used for the optional gas heater on 356Cs, and I have seen pics of C dashes where there appears to be a cover over this slot. Would it have served the same purpose on a B? I'm trying to figure out if I need to start searching for a missing part(s) or not. Unfortunately, I can't just go out and take a looksee as the car is 1200mi away at my parents house (it was my Dad's car- I hope to visit it again soon!). My Dad doesn't remember there ever being a lever there (nor did it have a gas heater), but pieces could have been been missing when he bought the car in 1970 or so. Thanks.

-Ted
Old 12-14-2006, 11:53 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Ted,

I can't be of much help, but I can say my father-in-law bought a 63 S90 coupe earlier this year, and it did not have a lever in the top slot or a gas heater. It did turn out to be a numbers matching factory sunroof car once the CoA arrived, only it was originally ruby red and now its silver.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Yes, that is a noobie question (one I asked too). No, you are not missing anything. There were not two plates depending on what you had. You just have that slot without a lever. Frustrating, huh?
Old 12-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Tedman
2nd Gear

Thanks for the replies.

Just yesterday I received my 356 Registry member packet, so I searched the 356Talk archive and found this, posted by a guy named Jim with lots of Porsches:

>All T6 Bs have 2 slots in the vent control. The upper
>slot is just left blank by Porsche! The factory did
>away with the top slot in Cs unless equipped with the
>fresh air blower.

I will sleep well tonight...

-Ted.

Quick Reply: '62 B Coupe Dash Ventilation Controls