Sponsored by:

Anyone here own a Convertible D?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 10:56 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Anyone here own a Convertible D?

I would like to purchase a 356, and there are a lot of choices within the line-up.

For pure aesthetics, I am most fond of the pre-A cars. However, several sources suggest that they are less reliable and more difficult to keep running (scarcity of parts, etc.) than later models. I don't want the car for a pure garage queen.

I like the looks of the Speedsters, but am attracted to some of the more practical changes seen in the Conv D (taller windshield, true side windows).

I know that many folks prefer B and C models due the numerous mechanical upgrades. My question: Is the Convertible D a good compromise solution - enough of the old, with enough of the new?

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2001, 07:59 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

This is a very hard question. The difference from the speedster to the roadster are a bit more creature comfort some small refinements and better brakes, new engine with improved oil system. The Speedster is a bit lighter, rougher call it purer. You will feel the difference if you are used to both cars but not if you never had a direct comparsion.
In my eyes the "D" is one from the most desirable 356 and very understimatet. ( Especially as Drautz made the finest bodys in that area.)
Still reflecting that the speedsters and the roadsters where the entry level 356 and made for racing. But a Super 90 has enough power to give you sweating fingers.

If you would like to compare it to a nwer area the speedster is the 2,7 RS while the follow up the 2,7 Carrera is more the roadster.

My advise would be to look at several cars and have some testdrives. If you love to have the flys busting on your head and like to get a full unfiltered feedback in sound and driving ( Some say it is as british as a healy or TR ) you have to get the ultimate. If you don´t need it to rise your testeserone level or kicking for endrophines then the half price roadster is the best choice. And for the rest you can built a speedster replika to trash around or get a old Moto Guzzi.....................

Grüsse
Old 06-12-2001, 09:54 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input, Roland.

I went to a auto show this weekend and looked (but didn't drive) various 356s. To my eye, the Speedsters and the 356 A's have much purer (and prettier?) lines than the later B and C models.

I sort of enjoy "flys busting on the head" - I guess that's why I like my Ducati 900SS. However, the improved creature comforts of the Conv D do make sense. It would be nice to have real windows, since it is not always sunny here like in Southern California. You never know when it might rain.

In his book, Jim Schrager claims that the 60 hp engines actually have more low-end torque than some of the later, greater hp engines. I'm not planning to go faster than 70 or 80 mph, so I may not need the ultimate hp. I do like the idea of a lighter car (e.g. Speedster) for improved handling.

I'll take your advice and start looking for some test drives.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2001, 02:14 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had a Conv. D since '84, though it has been "VOR" awaiting a full restoration since the early 90s. I don't think it is THAT much different than a Speedster, but if it is the higher windshield, roll-up windows, "roadster" seats, door pockets & bigger conv. top you want - the D is the way to get it. Most came w/ 1600N engines, mine had a 1600S dropped in at some point, and I don't mind. The issue of originality is one we must each decide for ourselves (do you want the drive or the investment?), as is styling, of course.

My current feeling is that a B Roadster (or maybe a Cab) is a very nice 356 series car. It has more advanced systems (12V, Brakes, etc.) and can be further upgraded more easily. Pricing (if that is a factor) is a little easier to bear, too. I am suggesting that if it is more refinement that you seek, while still having sporting features, you might want to be open-minded about the B open cars as well as the "D".

Since "getting there is half the fun", broadening the search and extending the hunting season can be a good thing.
Old 06-14-2001, 01:51 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello

Yes the old speedsters have a complete other look as the bumpers sit lower. This also improves drag.

There are several engine types used in these cars. The roller crank engines are not the best choice for daily dutys. They like to get reved and have a very peaky tourqe curve.

The lower HP ratet engines wher allways easier to use and to maintain. The Super 90 engine has 90 HP but is very different to a later 90 HP engine in the 912.

The best is you keep open minded and din´t focus on a specific version.

If you are not used to old 356 you will not be able to spot irregularities or not proper working cars. Some people just tell its an old car and thats the way it is and was then. The car´s are not to far away from a modern driving style and mater everyday transportation despite there value or age.

The speedster where made for racing and cheap transportation. Some cars where used as a bathtube, allways driving open in rain and snow. The rodsters wher more in the way for normal driving purposes but still very close to the speedster. The handling benefits from the early cars had been compensatet with better brakes and better engines.

Now there are many ways to go. The best way is to look around visit all Homepages ( lots of them ) get some books ( Brad Johnson & Dirk Michael Conrad is a must ).

I also like to say get a old 356 Coupe or a 912 to get used to the mechanics and a general feel.

And then look for the suiting car or it comes strolling by.

Grüsse
Old 06-17-2001, 04:04 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello

58 Speedster on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=592329554

in STEPHENS CITY , VIRGINIA

Grüsse
Old 06-17-2001, 05:33 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello

Even more interessting: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=592468360

Del Mar, CA

Grüsse
Old 06-29-2001, 05:33 PM
Konrad 996tt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my wife a Convertible D for X-mas last year. I drive other arguably exciting cars, but this one is by far the most fun to drive. I agree with the comment that the Convertible D is probably one of the most underestimated 356 ragtops in the market. My wife's car had the engine rebuilt to SC specs, and the suspension was lowered (all by previous owner) It sits very much like a Speedster, but in my opinion the D is more visually pleasing, and was significantly less expensive and more practical (if you can call these cars practical!) than a Speedster.
Old 06-30-2001, 09:54 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

Konrad,

Thanks for the post. We obviously have similar taste in cars.

My heart is becoming more and more set on a Convertible D. I love the lines of the Speedster, but simply must have useable windows. And, I'm more fond of the headlight treatment on the 356 A type cars (i.e. before they raised the headlights and lost the "nose" in the middle of the front end on the B's and C's.

I'm glad to hear that you like your car. Do you have any pics?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Anyone here own a Convertible D?