Sponsored by:

Time for a new generator

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:15 PM
ToplessInSeattle
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new generator

Took the Roadster out this weekend and she died on me. She has a new battery (Interstate) but right after I bought her, I took her into a local, and apparently very reputable, shop. One issue I had was that the generator light stays on at idle. I was told that the generator is charging, it's just a bit lazy and I should think about exchanging it with a rebuilt one before too long (estimate of $1000 for part and labor, as I recall—cash I just don't have right now). So, my thought is that, in sitting in traffic that day, the lazy generator basically didn't keep the battery charged. I stopped to feed her and couldn't get her started again.

So, my question is, what is a good affordable source for a rebuilt generator. Is it the same as a VW generator? And how difficult is it to change out? Maybe it's a grand well-spent and I should just take it in?

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a rebuild generator a few years ago for under $200 from Zim's in texas, not including core (I kept my core to have it rebuilt locally). R&R took me and a VW experienced friend about 2.5 hours and 3 beers each. Process is the exact same as a VW, so if you have John Muir's "Idiots guide to keeping a VW alive forever" and a few basic tools (a funny puller is required, my local FLAPS had one to loan w/ deposit) it is very do-able on your own, for way less than the $1k. If you do it, be sure to order a few spare woody (woodruf) keys - they look like nickles cut in half, and the 2 in your car may be very worn or completely gone (I had one of each).

You'll also want to check your regulator output and adjust it if needed. Joe Leoni's *excellent* 356 Electrical books cover this,and I think there is a pdf version of this part of it on the 356 Registry's website.

Edit - if you are cash strapped as I am, $150 should get you the books you need to do it yourself, another $75-100 for tools,jack stands, etc (walmart grade), and you should be able to do all your own maintainence and many repairs on your own. For books, I have (and can't live wihtout) Muir's VW book, Elfrinks tech book on 356s, and Ken Ball's "356 A B C" ($20-25 each) and Joe's 356 Electrical diagrams ($75, worth each penny and then some).
Old 10-02-2006, 11:08 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

for reliability, better charging and piece of mind, i would save up more cash, and go with an alternator conversion. there is only one i know of for 356s and 912s (a vw conversion kit wont work). http://store.partsobsolete.com/35691212voal.html
Old 10-03-2006, 01:22 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a remanufactured generator from many sources...send your bad one as core and get a correctly remanufactured one from NLA, Zims, Stoddard or , as I heard, Don Marks, the distributor wizard, also does generators...
Old 10-03-2006, 03:25 PM
ToplessInSeattle
Track Day

Thanks all for the great input. As it turns out, I was way off on price. Parts and labor combined are around $500, so, as I am new to this car and a little nervous about having such a major project be my first, it will go in next week for a rebuilt generator.

Thanks again!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ToplessInSeattle
Thanks all for the great input. As it turns out, I was way off on price. Parts and labor combined are around $500, so, as I am new to this car and a little nervous about having such a major project be my first, it will go in next week for a rebuilt generator.

Thanks again!
Ken...a rebuilt generator (if you send your core to the rebuilder) will cost approximately $200 to $250...go to www.356registry.org click in "356 vendors", browse a couple of web sites to compare prices and go for it...good luck...
Old 10-03-2006, 11:52 PM
ToplessInSeattle
Track Day

Pedro,

Thanks. Yep, that's what I'm finding out. The shop gave the same price (he said around $225) for the rebuilt unit. So, that's more in line and affordable. I had just remembered incorrectly the first time (brain fart!)
Old 10-04-2006, 12:58 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffman912
for reliability, better charging and piece of mind, i would save up more cash, and go with an alternator conversion. there is only one i know of for 356s and 912s (a vw conversion kit wont work). http://store.partsobsolete.com/35691212voal.html
Harry,

what do you do with your external voltage regulator? Does it use the three existing generator wires?

Brgds, Peter
Old 10-05-2006, 02:06 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Im assuming you toss the external since it already has an internal.. im not really sure though to be honest. I dont know answer to the second half of the question either. I just know a few people through the 912 registry who have them and love them. Im planning on getting one when my original generator bites the dust.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:39 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The cost is a little concerning $$$$ but if it gives me decent lights and does a better job of charging my battery, I'll be happy.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:52 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

yeah, but it should also be more reliable (at least one would think), being more modern technology and all. and reliability saves money in the long run.

I know some 912ers that burn through generators all the time. Ask Charles Dannik on 912bbs.org about his experiences. his mechanic is stumped about it too.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:19 PM
ToplessInSeattle
Track Day

FWIW, I decided to stick with the generator, rather than the alternatoir conversion, after talking to the crew at Denny Akers's shop here in Seattle. It was pointed out that the alternator is a 12-volt system and the car's entire system would have to be converted to 12 volt—battery, wiring/harnesss, relays, accesories, etc. Plus, it was their opinion that I would be going backwards in terms of the car's value, since it is entirely stock now except for the steering wheel and exhaust. Given that Denny has a quite large collection of 356s, hosts the annual "356 Bull Session" here, races in SVRA and came highly recommended, I have to believe he knows what he's talking about.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:40 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

very good point. I didnt realize a B was still 6V.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Harry - All 356s unless special ordered, converted, or maybe the Carreras are 6v.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:22 PM
ToplessInSeattle
Track Day

Now I'm really glad I didn't order that rebuilt generator myself. Took her in and the generator tested fine. It turns out it's the voltage regulator. I would have spent a few hundred $$$ and a lot of time fumbling about putting in a new generator only to still have the problem. Guess I'll stick to the things I know like oil changes, and simple mechanical work etc. and stay away from that electrical voodoo stuff.

Quick Reply: Time for a new generator